Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. For the past 30 years there has been a general degeneration and degradation of service life (I left in 1999 suffering the same sort of crap as today).
    The removal of free medical care and prescriptions for service personnel and families; the transfer of pensions from RPI to CPI; the reduction of pension payments til aged 60+; Privatisation of service housing to a disreputable and profiteering mob; the pursuit of (retired) servicemen for 40 year old actions = the loss of required service action protection: the removal of proper pay for proper jobs; changing ranks for cheaper costs...and the list goes on.
    Grow a set Teresa!
    ...looked alright to me!

I joined in '85 primarily due to a lack of employment opportunities at a local level. The RAF were organised and got me in fairly quickly. I also applied to other employers who seemed to take ages with their various selection processes.

The good bits - I travelled widely on various sqns was posted to RAFG (twice) and fortunately extended and I had a smile on my face the sqns were a great laugh working hard and playing hard. The overall T&Cs were fair, reasonable wages and other benefits.

The not so good bits: - In around 2000 things began to change for the worse. JPA. Trades re-banding. salary not keeping pace with civil equivalence. I became more aware of a lack of quality of snr leadership - possibly a coincidence with me getting promoted and seeing these guys first hand - too many of whom were solely motivated by their own promotion, off the back of the swarfega smelling oiks.

The bad bits: - Around 2010 for me and I'd reached the end of the line, (I was at Conz) and was effectively treated like a civilian without any of their benefits, and was sick of hearing about how other TG's were doing so well, getting extra wage increases.

The dude at PMA did nt like my suggestion of a posting request -
    Him " You've recently completed a Typhoon Q and the RAF need to get a return on that investment.
    Me - the Q you refer to was 5 years ago you need to be aware that I'm gonna leave the RAF so bang goes any investment. ... after a short mexican stand-off, I pressed the buttons to freedom. Got a job immediately and have never looked back since. My salary is significantly better than that of the RAF I'm in control of what I do and dont do - There are still some feckin knob heads but I they dont impact me (touch wood).

I still stay in touch with my buddies who are still serving, and the same conversations are doing the rounds, except that things seem even worse - the RAF Engineering cadre is broken and it aint gonna get fixed anytime soon.

Shame on those snr officers who let this happen on their watch they're no better than the feckin idiot civil servants and MPs
    Last edited by Keyser Söze; 11-02-2019 at 00:41.

Far away from London control in Manchester
    Clearly we need another war a good war, to get things moving in the Government departments. This will have the added benefit forcing sweepers to get issues under the carpet for another generation or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SAXAVORDIAN View Post
    Clearly we need another war a good war, to get things moving in the Government departments. This will have the added benefit forcing sweepers to get issues under the carpet for another generation or two.
    You're right, if there was another war then you could guarantee that the money needed to fix everything that's broken would magically appear. Too bad that, because of the ridiculous state we've gotten ourselves into with contracts etc, the war would probably be over (and we'd have lost) before anything actually got fixed.

If we went to war now, then the Govt would collectively sh!t its pants. The military is in no fit state to fight a conventional war - these days it's all about long distance missiles, it's highly unlikely to be a 'boots on the ground' job, so that's the Army effectively redundant (again...), the RAF don't have the capability do defend the country from the air because we've no experience in anything other than CAS and bombing runs in the last 10 years, and the RN don't have enough ships to match another country's navy, nor manpower to get them afloat.

If we're lucky, the next war will be digital. We're way behind many countries with regard to cyber, but at least that sort of war would result in less loss of life.

Good luck with this one. They really have no idea

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...t-russia-china

One Round, One Kill

6. Just expect a response from the two countries saying something along the lines of 'lol'

Quote Originally Posted by Cooheed View Post
    Good luck with this one. They really have no idea

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10...t-russia-china
    The Express toliet paper that is useless as toliet paper as it is already full of S***. Watch out, the journalist that wrote that will be a Tory MP at the next election.

Quote Originally Posted by I Look Like Kevin Costner View Post
    The Express toliet paper that is useless as toliet paper as it is already full of S***. Watch out, the journalist that wrote that will be a Tory MP at the next election.

Yawn....all the papers are biased, and Tory and Labour are equally rubbish political parties. You're going all 'angry man' and focusing on the political leanings of the paper and the Govt, and missing the point entirely - as usual.

We simply don't have the military capability that would be required to carry out these 'threats', and we're unlikely to be able to recruit the manpower that would be needed without a massive financial boost, additional financial incentive and / or (IMHO) conscription. That's it, end of.

All this waffle about threatening Russia or China is complete arsecake, they know it, we know it. If things were to ramp up significantly - thinking back to Cold War era, not WW2 - exactly how many of the snowflake generation do you think will be rocking up at the AFCOs to 'defend their country'?? Because they certainly won't queue up to defend somebody else's (though they might hold a protest or something in sympathy). Even the guys and gals currently serving are - as the thread says - leaving in droves... and they're from the hardier generations!!

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    Yawn....all the papers are biased, and Tory and Labour are equally rubbish political parties. You're going all 'angry man' and focusing on the political leanings of the paper and the Govt, and missing the point entirely - as usual.

We simply don't have the military capability that would be required to carry out these 'threats', and we're unlikely to be able to recruit the manpower that would be needed without a massive financial boost, additional financial incentive and / or (IMHO) conscription. That's it, end of.

All this waffle about threatening Russia or China is complete arsecake, they know it, we know it. If things were to ramp up significantly - thinking back to Cold War era, not WW2 - exactly how many of the snowflake generation do you think will be rocking up at the AFCOs to 'defend their country'?? Because they certainly won't queue up to defend somebody else's (though they might hold a protest or something in sympathy). Even the guys and gals currently serving are - as the thread says - leaving in droves... and they're from the hardier generations!!
    I hate to necro-post (is that what you call it when you re-post someone's prior post with a post that says "I agree with your post"), but I agree with everything you have written.

I do have one question though - would it be correct to assume that you are the first practical user of the word 'arsecake' on the Goat so far in 2019?
    Last edited by Kryten; 12-02-2019 at 14:48.
    Lister: Lister to Red Dwarf, we have in our midst a complete smegpot. Brains in the anal region. Chin, absent presumed missing. Genitalia, small and inoffensive. Of no value or interest whatsoever.
    Commander Binks: Binks to Enlightenment. Evidence of primitive humour. The human displays knowledge of satire and imitation. With patient tuition, could perhaps master simple tasks.
    Lister: Lister to Red Dwarf. Displays evidence of spoiling for a rumble. Seems unable to grasp simple threats. With careful pummeling, could be sucking tomorrow's lunch through a straw.
    Commander Binks: Binks to Enlightenment. The human seems to be under the delusion that he is somehow capable of bestowing physical violence to a hologram.
    Lister: Lister to Red Dwarf. The intruder seems blissfully unaware that we have a fairly sturdy holowhip in the Munitions cabinet. And unless he wants his derriere minced like burger meat, he'd better become history in the next two seconds flat

Quote Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
    I do have one question though - would it be correct to assume that you are the first practical user of the word 'arsecake' on the Goat so far in 2019?
    Quite possibly! I was trying to think of the most accurate term for the situation he was trying to bluff us into, and 'arsecake' just seemed to fit perfectly...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12