Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Service Leavers - What did you do for resettlement?

I'm nicely in my resettlement period now and whilst there is a plethora of official courses that can be attempted as listed on the CTP Workshop site, I am aware that there are many other options.

Now whilst I do find it tempting to bugger off somewhere nice such as Cape Town and earn a PPL by flying up and down Table Mountain for 6 weeks, I am cognizant of the potential employment opportunities with the right quals under my belt.

Background: 22yrs Elec / Avionics Engineering with considerable fast jet experience in Typhoon and F35. HNC Elec Eng and BSc (Hons) Eng Management recently earned with a desire to take up a high profile Engineering Management position with a Military Contractor such as BAE or LM.

Of course I don't need to remain rigidly within the sphere of Aviation Engineering as my recent quals show I selected them to give me more choice, so I am willing to consider other areas such as Rolling Stock, Plant Machinery etc.

What courses or training did you complete during resettlement, and how beneficial did you find it towards your second career?

Any advice goaters as always, is very much appreciated.
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

I used my resettlement to acquire all my HGV licences. The whole shebang cost me the princely sum of around £150, which I earned back in my first shift. I started driving trucks 2 days after my discharge date and have never been short of choice.

My current job is for 9 months of the year (although they have always asked me to stay on). Oct-Dec is the really busy time for HGV work, so I always have the fallback of that work if my 9 month contract doesn't get extended.

I also used an ELC for a CIPD qualification, which has helped me in my current role.

I had no desire to take on a high-stress senior manager role after twenty odd years of it in the RAF - my pension plus my salary is much higher than just about every senior manager where I work anyway!

Service Leavers - What did you do for resettlement?

Good luck Spearmint, I did the CTP CIPD course, main reason was to civilianise my CV which is essential for my chosen career.

Even though I was half way through my Professional MA, I knew that I wouldnít have finished this until after Iíd have left the mob, a slight mix up at the University, so I had to get something in there to help me in the meantime.

I donít know whether it helped or not but I had an interview in my last working week in the Mob and started a contract job the following week, not been out of work since. PS if youíre looking at contract jobs thereís not much point applying with months left, generally, they want you tomorrow.

Everyoneís resettlement is a personal journey as most people want different things from the next stage of their working lives. When I started my final 5 year plan I started by looking at about three different careers that interested me and then tried to find out what the jobs are really all about, some jobs that look interesting and promising can be quite the opposite in reality.

Once Iíd chosen HR, I then looked at adverts on line, spoke to some civilian recruiters in the areas and types of jobs in which I wanted to work and then based my resettlement on this.

If I hadnít done the CIPD course I would probably have just brought forward my last day in work and tried to get some form of placement, paid or otherwise, this would have been a better use of the time for me, rather than going off on a jolly or an experience course.

The more valuable you make yourself to the widest number of employers, the more control you can have over your working life, having this control can make a huge difference to your future happiness, I have come across many people who have trapped themselves in the wrong career and many others who could have 10 offers tomorrow if they tried, I know where I would want to be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

I didn't have a lot of time but managed to squeeze in APM Practitioner and Prince 2 PM'ing courses. I also did a MS project course and a H&S Assessment course then I was endex.

Where do you want to live when out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    I didn't have a lot of time but managed to squeeze in APM Practitioner and Prince 2 PM'ing courses. I also did a MS project course and a H&S Assessment course then I was endex.

Where do you want to live when out?
    Current property is in Blackpool but open to move where the work is if it's the right role for me.
    Elitest B'stard.

Oh yeh another top tip, donít turn down the job you donít want if you donít have the job you do want, just make sure you know when itís time to swap.

A day not earning is a day spending.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

7. Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    I'm nicely in my resettlement period now and whilst there is a plethora of official courses that can be attempted as listed on the CTP Workshop site, I am aware that there are many other options.

Now whilst I do find it tempting to bugger off somewhere nice such as Cape Town and earn a PPL by flying up and down Table Mountain for 6 weeks, I am cognizant of the potential employment opportunities with the right quals under my belt.

Background: 22yrs Elec / Avionics Engineering with considerable fast jet experience in Typhoon and F35. HNC Elec Eng and BSc (Hons) Eng Management recently earned with a desire to take up a high profile Engineering Management position with a Military Contractor such as BAE or LM.

Of course I don't need to remain rigidly within the sphere of Aviation Engineering as my recent quals show I selected them to give me more choice, so I am willing to consider other areas such as Rolling Stock, Plant Machinery etc.

What courses or training did you complete during resettlement, and how beneficial did you find it towards your second career?

Any advice goaters as always, is very much appreciated.
    One of the major knocks against ex-mil is financial awareness so amongst the other stuff I did a financial/accounting course.

There are numerous folk out there with prince 2 etc including a lot of young folk who are cheap to employ.

Whatever you choose good luck.

Far away from London control in Manchester
    If your still searching then no harm in writing to a few companies to do a familiarisation. This way you can assess civilian attitudes. Before I left being a Heli-Refueller under my belt I contacted a few Heli companies at Aberdeen Airport. Mainly to clear the rust and cobwebs. Lucky enough Bristows were willing enough to take me on for a week. I enjoyed the work and a bit of civilian life and it helped a lot during a couple of Falklands stints later on. When I left in 1990 I just wanted to relax for several months, but eventually found work through a local Agency doing various work on long term basis. Might seem trite compared to your situation and length of service but I would keep one foot in the fire knowing you have a back up in your own field.

Quote Originally Posted by SAXAVORDIAN View Post
    If your still searching then no harm in writing to a few companies to do a familiarisation. This way you can assess civilian attitudes.
    That's certainly on my list of things to do, it's now known as a CWA (Civilian Work Attachment). I'll be doing a bit more research in this area first as it can take up a good chunk of time but I'll be aiming to use it as a way of getting my foot in the door.
    Elitest B'stard.

With an ELC, SLC and resettlement grant you could get 7 or 8 B1 classroom based modules under your belt. With your degree youíre not far off getting a C Certification if you were to join a MRO somewhere.
    When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast