Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should there be a tax on red meat?

Just been surfing the Beeb and noticed THIS article

What scientists at the University of Oxford are proposing is a "meat tax", which they say could prevent almost 6,000 deaths per year in the UK and save more than £700m in healthcare costs.

What this would mean is that the price of a 227g Tesco Sirloin Steak would increase from £3.80 to £4.33, and for a pack of eight pork sausages from Sainsburys the price would increase from £1.50 to £2.69.

Now, this originally activated my Enragement Protocols - "is there anything politicians and do-ggoders wouldnt tax" and "bloody nanny-state-ists"....but with the NHS as overstretched as it currently is, cis there not a case to be made to trying to reduce our collective impact on it?

What do you think?
    Rimmer: I've no idea who you are, but boarding this vessel is an act of war, ergo we surrender! And as prisoners of war, I invoke the All Nations Agreement article number 39436175880932/B.

Kryten: 39436175880932/B? All nations attending the conference are only allocated one car parking space? Is that entirely relevant, sir? I mean, here we are in mortal danger and you're worried about the Chinese delegates bringing two cars.

2. the NHS is overstretched with:
    Fat Bsatards
    Tabbers
    Immobile ****s
    ****heads
    Snowflake parents and their weakling offspring
    "guest patients"
    and like me, old giffers...

None of whose state could possibly be improved by paying more for meat.

Should there be a tax on red meat?

Hospitals and GP surgeries always seem to be full of poor people and old people, to save money we should tax these things and save a lot more than £700m.

Maternity units always seem to be full of women and babies, we should tax these more to reduce women and babies using such facilities.

And what about schools, full of children and left wingers, we should tax this as well.

They never seem to be full of working people, so we should stop taxing work.

Saying that we tax death and people still insist on dying, perhaps thereís a fault in this tax everything to stop it thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Letís tax stupidity, we can start with politicians, that should bring money pouring into HMís coffers.

A tax on meat will only hit the poorest in society, nothing new there then.
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason', Mark Twain.

I don't count myself as 'poor', but nor am I well-off enough to eat steak all the time. We eat a lot of chicken in my house, not because it's healthier but because it's cheaper! Less than £3 for a fresh chicken in Aldi, compared to £5 or £6 for a modest chunk of red meat. Tax on red meat would just push up demand on white meat, making it more expensive. And if demand for red meat was to drop, then surely it's cost would drop, as would a percentage based tax on it, so we'd just end up with slightly cheaper red meat and more expensive white meat?!?

Why don't they just slap a 3% tax on EVERYTHING, and then leave it at that?

By all means introduce a Meat tax only if there's a corresponding strict levy on humus, guacamole, caulifower, avocado, Brussel sprouts and an additional 5% on anything labelled salad.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

7. I see great value in increasing the business rates of any new take-away by 100%.

I think if we could stop stupid and ugly people from breeding it would save the NHS and welfare budgets a fortune. I realise that the ugly bit is perhaps a step too far but if you don't reach for the stars....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

yes

Unfortunately we should.
    THe nation was healthiest while we had rationing.

The NHS needs more cash because people are living longer.

Until we start culling the elderly, then we, as a society, will just have to accept that a huge proportion of our taxes will be going towards the care of our elderly relatives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast