Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This Grenfell bonfire thingy

6 men arrested for burning a cardboard effigy of the Grenfell tower in their garden, laughing and joking, racist jokes etc. Yes, utterly tasteless, crass, retarded beyond belief but should they have been arrested because peopleís feelings were hurt? A public order offence when no-one was physically hurt or property damage and it took place on private property?

Yes, they should be called out for being dumbasses but Iím guessing this will be elevated massively as all the usual lunatics peas on board to virtue signal (letís see how many times David Lammy appears on television over the next week).

Thoughts?

I will of course be removing my Ď9/11í diorama from the garden (I have the Twin Towers with 2 aircraft diving into them) but in my defence I do have Gary Glitter and Jimmy Saville in the cockpits.....
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason', Mark Twain.

2. I agree - crass and stupid beyond belief but, if they hadnt filmed it then no-one would have been any the wiser. The PM only get involved because she thinks it will make her look good. I personally feel the police involvement is OTT, words of advice over arrest and i think public order because that may be the only thing that they can possibly be charged with.

The fact that people will do this is wrong and disgusting but I do think the level of police involvement is not OTT as such but maybe being more heavy handed than they may have been in other circumstances?

3. I feel sorry for that Guy Fawkes chap. Hundreds of years later and we are still burning effigies of him.

What I find amazing about this incident is that some one must have said "I know, let's build a model of Grenfell Tower and burn it". To which 5 others agreed. Then they actually did it, and filmed it. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lux_deluxe View Post
    I feel sorry for that Guy Fawkes chap. Hundreds of years later and we are still burning effigies of him.

What I find amazing about this incident is that some one must have said "I know, let's build a model of Grenfell Tower and burn it". To which 5 others agreed. Then they actually did it, and filmed it. Idiots.
    You can't legislate against stupidity.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

5. Had these ass clowns have done their tasteless stunt at home and left it at that then I would struggle to see what they could be arrested for, however, posting it on social media puts their act in the public domain where it can cause distress. It's another question then on whether something is distasteful or illegal.
    I'm as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers

Is anyone else pondering why 6 idiots who burnt a tasteless effigy made up of flammable material, are getting treated harsher than the individuals responsible for building flats out of flammable material?
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

Eugh. Another bandwagon for the Offended Brigade to jump on. No doubt any punishment this feckwits receive will be quashed by the ECHR, because of impinged freedom of speech, blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    Is anyone else pondering why 6 idiots who burnt a tasteless effigy made up of flammable material, are getting treated harsher than the individuals responsible for building flats out of flammable material?
    And that has just qualified as My Most Valid Point of the year. Amount of arrests made in the case of a fire that actually killed people.......nil.

(sorry, thereís no actual prize but I could print out a certificate if pushed).
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason', Mark Twain.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    Lots of people have been charged with fraud too, claiming for things when thay hadn't lived at Grenfell.

I think charges will be brought against those responsible for the building once the police investigation has concluded. I don't think either the government or the police will want a situation similar to Hillsborough where it drags on for years before justice is seen to be done.
    I'm as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers

They handed themselves in to the plod, maybe more for personal protection reasons than breaking the law.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast