Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kinloss to re-open ??

>> Kinloss to re=open <<

I find it very unlikely but stranger things have happened.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

2. Kinloss never closed. It will be used as a bolt hole for the P8s when Lossiemouth gets its runway re-surfaced. There will never be a permanent presence there due to there being no nav aids left on the airfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. I'd like to see the RAFAT placed there, just for ****s and giggles.

To answer the MP's question the level of investment, I think, will stretch to moving anything big off the runway and giving it a sweep and placing some fire-fighting equipment back in there. They'll need some ATC and bird control people as well. Crews will doubtless plan at ops in Lossie and be bussed to Kinloss to pick up the jet. As the fuel storage areas will have been run down they'll bowser it across from Lossie when needed...luckily the P8 isn't as thirsty as the Nim was.

So its just like waking up a FOB for a few weeks before putting it back to bed again. It might limit the max fuel load for the P8 as one of the reasons given for not using Kinloss was runway length for the twin-engine jet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    To answer the MP's question the level of investment, I think, will stretch to moving anything big off the runway and giving it a sweep and placing some fire-fighting equipment back in there. They'll need some ATC and bird control people as well. Crews will doubtless plan at ops in Lossie and be bussed to Kinloss to pick up the jet. As the fuel storage areas will have been run down they'll bowser it across from Lossie when needed...luckily the P8 isn't as thirsty as the Nim was.

So its just like waking up a FOB for a few weeks before putting it back to bed again. It might limit the max fuel load for the P8 as one of the reasons given for not using Kinloss was runway length for the twin-engine jet.
    Most of that is already there as the airfield is still a typhoon diversion but there will need be some navaids put in. Iím guessing TACATC will deploy for a period.

I doubt P8 will win many friends in the support to ops world at Lossie. They will be a true 24/7 jet as opposed to the odd night flight for currency activity. Shifts will have to change...We would nothing to crewing in at 0200 on a Saturday morning for a training mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

The RE Airfield Support Sqns are based there - so they have the manpower and expertise to prep the runway and taxiways for them.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    I doubt P8 will win many friends in the support to ops world at Lossie. They will be a true 24/7 jet as opposed to the odd night flight for currency activity. Shifts will have to change...We would nothing to crewing in at 0200 on a Saturday morning for a training mission.
    Itís all self contained as it has its own Opsies, eng, int etc. Stn wonít need to change itís tempo as Stn Ops and ATC are already 24/7 for Q.