Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More AMMs

Thumbs up No More AMMs

Finally they have listend to my suggestions and AMM training is being terminated to reintroduce a DE style technitian scheme. And not before time. One of my finest moments was when I charged my first FLM for punching me in the face.
    Pride in self, Pride in Service. I never make mistakes. Well, I did make one once. That was when I thought I had made a mistake, but hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by I look like Bruce Willis View Post
    ... a DE style technitian...
    Not many 'nits' in my DE Cadre at Halton in 77.
    some of the best Technicians I worked with developed from FLM status.
    "If you had to choose between your wife or winning the lottery, what new car would you pick"?

Late & Tired

Quote Originally Posted by I look like Bruce Willis View Post
    AMM training is being terminated to reintroduce a DE style technician scheme.
    The idea has been batted around the training world for a while now. All the techie courses have been compressed and compressed again, content removed etc many many times in recent years. The germ of this brilliant scheme started when it was suggested that basically trainees could complete their AMM training on a Friday and without leaving tossford start their further training course the following Monday. From there it was, from a bean counter perspective, a relatively simple matter to look for duplication in the two courses meld them together and call it a DE course. Less time in training, reduced costs of training, greater through put of bodies, and as the bean counters are running the show no worries about whether the level of knowledge being imparted is correct for the expected tasks they will encounter once they leave training.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Tin basher View Post
    no worries about whether the level of knowledge being imparted is correct for the expected tasks they will encounter once they leave training.
    That's ok, flying squadrons will be able to stop flying and effectively close in order to conduct OJT.

Oh, hang on a minute...

Quote Originally Posted by rocket scientist View Post
    That's ok, flying squadrons will be able to stop flying and effectively close in order to conduct OJT. Oh, hang on a minute...
    That was a concern I had heard expressed in meetings. Just how much training load could be put onto the various type schools in their current form?
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Tin basher View Post
    That was a concern I had heard expressed in meetings. Just how much training load could be put onto the various type schools in their current form?
    In the world of the F35, none. But they are doing with great gusto.

No more courses at Eglin AFB with attention turned towards setting up the School in Marhell.......at the minute they have 1 Cpl there (ex 17Sqn) who's expected to train up to 30 folk at a time on the basics of everything F35 / ALIS & CMMS etc.

They even have an Acting Sgt (also ex 17Sqn) waiting for a substantive slot working the Line as a lad due to not having enough line trained folk.

Well done bean counters......and they wonder why everyone with the time / experience and decent engineering acumen are banging out.
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

OMG! ILLBW has come out of retirement.... Welcome back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Good to see some old faces at BAe Lincs

8. ILLBW is a reservist now. In the unsung hero role of Admin.

9. Personally I've no idea what was ever wrong with the DE scheme in any of the trades.

I was a DE and all the old salts were always telling me that doing doing the Mech course passing out with LAC after 4 months then 12 months to getting SAC, then 2 or three or four years as SAC Mech and then doing the 12 month DE course produced the best J/T's.

My experience in the 1970's and 1980's this was not the case. I would say that about 90% of the SAC's I worked with were not capable of passing any type of technician training course and the ones who did were J/T's for at least 4 or 5 years before reaching CPL - As opposed to the DE J/T's who rarely went beyond 4 years before getting their tapes.
    It all started with nothing, then it exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonterseed View Post
    My experience in the 1970's and 1980's this was not the case. I would say that about 90% of the SAC's I worked with were not capable of passing any type of technician training course and the ones who did were J/T's for at least 4 or 5 years before reaching CPL - As opposed to the DE J/T's who rarely went beyond 4 years before getting their tapes.
    Wasn’t that time promotion?

Some good mechs who were good mechs in the day, unfortunately the system wanted them to be techs so a loss to the service in the end, as the system needed fresh mechs to become techs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast