Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fake tanks or fake news?

An interesting piece in the Sunday Times today. Apparently the British Army is contemplating a cunning new plan to disguise the fact we don’t have enough armour. The plan? Using the technology used to inflate swimming pool lilos and bouncy castles to make a range of new military ‘inflatables’ (something I’m reasonably sure they did during the Second World War!). An official report has concluded (allegedly) that the Army should boost its ‘deception capability’ to counter its lack of mass.

I wonder when we will see a range of inflatable aircraft, airmen and other assorted military kit?
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason', Mark Twain.

Rumour has it that some people already own inflatable women.

During WW2 inflatable decoys did indeed play a role in many operations. We had our version and the yanks called their's the ghost army even the Japs got sneaky.
    https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/wwii-ghost-army

But with modern intel collection methods it might be very much harder to fool the bad guys with an inflatable dummy.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

I sat in Northumberland with a couple of inflatable tank type things in the 90s, used for target practice.

Not for shooting, but for finding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Quote Originally Posted by busby1971 View Post
    I sat in Northumberland with a couple of inflatable tank type things in the 90s, used for target practice.

And? Did they find you? We must know!
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason', Mark Twain.

5. So what did the inflatable officer say to the inflatable airman in front of the inflatable aircraft?

"You've let yourself down. You've let me down. But worst of all, you've let the whole squadron down."

Quote Originally Posted by needsabiggerfuse View Post
    So what did the inflatable officer say to the inflatable airman in front of the inflatable aircraft?

"You've let yourself down. You've let me down. But worst of all, you've let the whole squadron down."
    I bet he was deflated.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Quote Originally Posted by busby1971 View Post

I looked after about a dozen of these during my time on ii(AC) Sqn. I took them all over the UK, putting them out for aircrew to find. We even put one on a lorry to simulate a mobile scud launcher pre-GW 2!

222006_6655015834_6906_n.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    Last edited by muttywhitedog; 24-06-2018 at 12:02.

Quote Originally Posted by muttywhitedog View Post
    I looked after about a dozen of these during my time on ii(AC) Sqn. I took them all over the UK, putting them out for aircrew to find. We even put one on a lorry to simulate a mobile scud launcher pre-GW 2!

222006_6655015834_6906_n.jpg
    So all the aircrew had to do was loiter over the pubs of the U.K. and wait..........

I used to see plenty of these in a compound in Goose Bay.

I thought the old Phantoms sitting on the lazy runways at Coningsby & Leeming did the same job..............there'll be a load of Tornado's spare soon.....just saying.