Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    "RAF needs to get people in the door"

Do they? When my steplad decided he wanted to stack blankets they put every barrier they could find in the way and it took over a year for the process. By the sounds of it there were around several applicants for each position as opposed to when I joined up when you got in as long as you could prove you could walk, talk and weren't a complete mong.

RAF Hipsters Inbound!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket scientist View Post
    "RAF needs to get people in the door"

Do they? When my steplad decided he wanted to stack blankets they put every barrier they could find in the way and it took over a year for the process. By the sounds of it there were around several applicants for each position as opposed to when I joined up when you got in as long as you could prove you could walk, talk and weren't a complete mong.
    Yes they do need to get people through the door but there are still standards to be met. Perhaps he took a bit of time to reach those standards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Norman the Storeman View Post
    Yes they do need to get people through the door but there are still standards to be met. Perhaps he took a bit of time to reach those standards?
    Oh, no doubt, I'm not advocating the dropping of standards but I'm sure he was told there are, on average, 7 applicants for every position they want to fill which suggests they have plenty of people knocking at the door in question.

Oh, no doubt, I'm not advocating the dropping of standards but I'm sure he was told there are, on average, 7 applicants for every position they want to fill which suggests they have plenty of people knocking at the door in question.
    From what I understand it's less to do with standards and more to do with the ridiculous amount of red tape and the bizarre administration methods we use for recruiting. That, and the fact that half of the system is farmed out to civvies / civvy companies. Then you have to wait for Phase 2 training schools to tell Halton when they'll have gaps in their training pipeline, because Halton can't take them on to Phase 1 if there's no allocated slot in Phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    From what I understand it's less to do with standards and more to do with the ridiculous amount of red tape and the bizarre administration methods we use for recruiting.
    I did think it was strange how he had to choose his trade and then take the aptitude test. Then if he failed to achieve the standard he could choose another trade and start the process again whereas I just sat the common aptitude test and they told me which trades I could do. I believe the Navy still do it the way we used to.

I did think it was strange how he had to choose his trade and then take the aptitude test. Then if he failed to achieve the standard he could choose another trade and start the process again whereas I just sat the common aptitude test and they told me which trades I could do. I believe the Navy still do it the way we used to.
    Yeah it's quite weird how it's done now, from what I'm told. I was like you, didn't get to choose my trade until I'd sat the aptitude test (was allowed to have a preference, but that's about it). Medical etc wasn't done until after you'd done the AST because it saved money - no point giving someone a checkup if they couldn't pass the aptitude test.

These days - and I should stress that this is only hearsay - most stuff is done online and by civvies before the AFCOs even get involved; they take over for the interview process, etc, and it's only after all that is done (ie they have a confirmed possible entrant) that Phase 1 and 2 are approached to check for the next available space.

So, I've just been told that full beards will be allowed as of September (apparently it's being briefed at Halton). Still technically RUMINT, as I can't find the official announcement (may appear tomorrow).

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    So, I've just been told that full beards will be allowed as of September (apparently it's being briefed at Halton). Still technically RUMINT, as I can't find the official announcement (may appear tomorrow).
    I left the RAF almost 2 years ago. Can I grow a beard now and backdate it?
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

'Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason', Mark Twain.

That'll solve retention problems.

And in over 3 years in AFCOs never once did the lack of beard growing freedom get mentioned by a single applicant I met.
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast