Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. SFA Charges on march out - Whats the worst you have had?

I am currently preparing for a move of SFA on posting and it got me thinking…

What happens if they turn around on march out and say we are charging me for a new carpet/redecoration/damage? How do they determine how much each item/service costs?

I am assuming (bad I know) that there is set charge matrix for each different item. I’ve heard rumours such as £150 to ‘redecorate’ a store cupboard and £200 a set of curtains.

It can’t just be down to the discretion of the local housing officer.

I tried to find some information on possible charges from the usual places (CA website/JSP 464 etc) but can’t find anything in black and white aside from quotes such as “…. you will liable for any damages deemed to be beyond that expected of fair wear and tear…”.

Actually, where does it state what is deemed fair wear and tear???

Surely this kind of information should be clear and available for all to access.

What is the worst thing they have/tried to charge you for on march out? Answers on a post card below!

There is a full breakdown of costs for cleaning / repairs, I think it's available through your housing office on camp (might be on the website too, I haven't looked). The prices are ridiculous, obviously. For example, if there's a mark on a wall they will charge you to repaint the whole wall - but if two or more walls in one room have marks they bill you for the whole room. Repainting the whole house is hundreds of pounds - much cheaper to buy 20 litres of magnolia and slap it on everywhere. Cookers are expected to be as-new, even if they're ancient (as most are). Expect a £50 bill - at least - for cleaning that.

I recently got charged £60 on march out because there was dirt in between the windows and the window frames. And they tried to charge me £70 for turfing an 8x10ft patch of garden, despite the fact that it had been seeded and grass doesn't grow in January!

3. Slightly

For marks on walls, etc. I have recently discovered the so-called Magic Eraser sponges. To be honest I thought it was all salesman guff until I tried one on 'Fuse Mansions where I had scuffed a wall during the occasional compass swing of the furniture the Herself insists on. Damp a sponge and literally rub the mark out with very little pressure applied.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Spo...kAAOSwOgdY02zv
    Last edited by needsabiggerfuse; 04-04-2018 at 20:59.

There's a timescale for redecorating and a lifespan for carpets/curtains, so if you've been in the FQ for a certain number of years, the whole house will be repainted when you move out. Similarly if the curtains/carpets are over a certain age then they are considered as having zero value.

That said, I paid a cleaning firm about £200 and had used my own cooker when I last lived in FQs. I lived there for >5yrs and therefore didn't have to redecorate or clean the carpets as they were due for deep clean at public expense.

Quote Originally Posted by muttywhitedog View Post
    There's a timescale for redecorating and a lifespan for carpets/curtains, so if you've been in the FQ for a certain number of years, the whole house will be repainted when you move out. Similarly if the curtains/carpets are over a certain age then they are considered as having zero value.

That said, I paid a cleaning firm about £200 and had used my own cooker when I last lived in FQs. I lived there for >5yrs and therefore didn't have to redecorate or clean the carpets as they were due for deep clean at public expense.
    One word, Amortization.

Unfortunately, you’re not a tenant, however I wonder if anyone has taken a court case for unfair terms and conditions, on the simplist terms expecting a used item to be as new just wouldn’t cut it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

I take it a deep clean of carpets are still required if you have pets.
    Old Scopies never die 'Their afterglow just fades away'

Not if the carpets are due to be replaced.

RIGHTHANDSPANKER Guest
    Unfortunately if you have pets you are still expected to clean the carpets, irrespective if they are due to be replaced.

Considered a pre paid dirty March out? The worst I've had is around £240. You agree on what's required on the pre March out and what you don't get done gets added to a list of charges. No nasty surprises on the day of leaving etc then.
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

The only time I got charged for anything during a march out was from a flat in Bruggen. When I marched in, I was told the carpets were due for renewal so I asked if they could delay it until I marched out as I would only be in the flat for a year.

When it came to march out time I phoned the Barrack Warden's office to ask if I stil had to clean the carpets if they were due replacement and got told "no".

On march out day I was asked if I'd cleaned the carpets and when I said what I'd been told, the BW said I'd be charged for cleaning the carpets. In stepped OC Families Flt and questioned the logic of this and the charge was waivered.

Every march out I did after that was booked and paid for as a "walk-out" service, paid for out of my disturbance allowance. The least I've got away with was at Leeming when someone literally checked that the doors opened/closed and I hadn't nicked the light bulbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast