Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Too right. Who on earth would turn down promotion. It is the reward for oneís hard work, professionalism and diligence. It has proved your ability to go that extra mile. The demonstration that you are Ďin the weedsí when it comes to your job rather than the rest who think the RAF should revolve around them (far too many of those around).
    - that is the funniest thing i've read all day!!!! Thankyo.......wait? You were serious? Oh................

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Brown View Post
    - that is the funniest thing i've read all day!!!! Thankyo.......wait? You were serious? Oh................
    I'd work for Dan Brown though.

"It is the reward for oneís hard work, professionalism and diligence"

Well, it's supposed to be. These days it's just a leverage tool for manning to get the jobs done that nobody wants. There's very little personal gain in it these days.

"It has proved your ability to go that extra mile"

No - That's your SJAR / OJAR. Your write-up is the proof that you're able to operate at a higher level, the promotion is meant to be the result of your proven ability to go the extra mile.

"...rather than the rest who think the RAF should revolve around them (far too many of those around)."

Unfortunately these people get SJARs / OJARs too, and they usually promote before their peers think they should (and their peers generally tend to be right). These days, being mediocre at your primary task is completely irrelevant if you bury your nose far enough up your hierarchy's ar$e, particularly if you are on a sports marker. If you can make the RAF look good in a glossy mag then they'll promote you, no matter how rubbish you are within your actual TG. I can think of a couple of people who are MND and way better at their actual jobs than some other people I know (who's primary goal in the RAF seems to be spending as much time away from work as possible).

Once you've been passed over a couple of times for people like that, the thought of 'doing the RAF a favour' by taking promotion and signing more of your life away becomes a bitter taste in your mouth - particularly if there are little to no incentives other than a negligible financial uplift.

Is this 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'? Possibly.

Would I feel proud of myself for taking promotion at this point? Probably not.

4. Id have to say, this time around without the possibility of promotion, it's really quite wonderfully refreshing to be forthright with all above and below, with zero threat of bad OJARs hanging like the sword of Damocles over one's head.

You can't be overtly rude, but it's quite legitimate and indeed expected of you to point out the flawed logic in their "orders".

"Who on earth would turn down promotion. It is the reward for oneís hard work, professionalism and diligence. It has proved your ability to go that extra mile. The demonstration that you are Ďin the weedsí when it comes to your job rather than the rest who think the RAF should revolve around them"

ILLBW would be so proud
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

6. "Who on earth would turn down promotion. It is the reward for oneís hard work, professionalism and diligence. It has proved your ability to go that extra mile. The demonstration that you are Ďin the weedsí when it comes to your job rather than the rest who think the RAF should revolve around them"Please visit the Mighty 90 up tíNorth; You can be excellent at your job, be the RAFís top sportsperson or do charity work all the hours youíre not in work, but if youíre not running in the right circles or someone has a louder Line Manager when it comes to the Grading Board (that Iím sure there not supposed to be doing) thereís little chance of promotion.And as someone has pointed out; who wants the promotion for 3 x more work but very little financial benefit? I hit the 22-year point in just over 24 months and my plan is to hand in my notice at the back end of 2019. I said from the day I joined up that as soon as I didnít enjoy it anymore then thatís when Iíd throw in the towel. (Mrs SaW says the same about sex)Iíve seen a lot of people promoted who deserved it, but sadly Iím seeing more and more who play the game, float in the right circle, kiss the right arse (not ass) or are put into high profile roles that guarantees promotion. Seems every person and their dog here has a CP admin bitch (male & female). When we WERE a technical trade I saw, people do 18 monthsí trade training then go from admin role to admin role getting promoted each time, never doing any technical work along the way; If only the baby Jesus had blessed me with boobies.I worked bloody hard to get to Sgt and because I have the knack of saying the right thing at the wrong time (yep that way around) Iíve decided itís time to jump ship whilst still having some dignity. Yes I could bend over, do more after hours work, do a sport (bloke here has just set up a Station table tennis club.wtaf, thatís not even a sport) but the extra workload, little financial incentive and having to mentor incompetent Junior Officers (is it me or have the standards of officer entrants dropped through the floor?) doesnít tip the scale for me to stay in.Good luck to those who do want to stay and play the game or to those that arenít in a position to leave yet, but please, please donít try and tell me that people are being rewarded for their hard work, professionalism and diligence. Maybe some years back; now selection for promotion is no better than voting on Strictly come skating or Britainís got X factor. You show me 5 people who were promoted on merit and Iíll show you 10 who deserved it but werenít even looked at.RightIíll get off my soapbox now; people keep staring at me because Iím starting to grunt
    Last edited by Stealing a wage; 13-02-2018 at 15:52. Reason: sentencing

Wonderful! just reading that has brightened up my day, spot on though.

Yup, spot on, and it's not limited to any particular trade, either. I have a strong suspicion that it's a lot to do with how we run our promotion boards.

Spot on. Says it all really and one of (the many) reasons I jumped shop at 12 years

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ktuludays View Post
    Spot on. Says it all really and one of (the many) reasons I jumped shop at 12 years

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    I couldn't even stomach it that long, the problem with the promotion boards is that they assume that everyone is competent at their job to the same level. unfortunately we all know that's not the case.
    "can you go to the med centre and pick up some fallopian tubing?"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast