Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Promotion - would you take it?

One for the serving guys I guess...

Promotion, would you take it? Is there any reason to take one anymore? Is it purely down to the location/job you get offered?

Had this dilemma myself recently and itís not straightforward anymore is it...
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

I turned my crown down due to a poor decision by manning, I had told them for months where would be acceptable, they chose not to look at my options and came back with the usual BS about how I was the only man for the job etc... I'll do the same again next time, if it doesn't suit I wont be taking it.
    Good food, good accomodation and good pay are the 3 pillars for keeping people happy in the RAF (WO Catering, Inside Brize Norton, Thursday 19th Dec 2013) roll on the day that ever happens.........

Yes, I grabbed it.
    WO to Mr.
    Never looked back...
    "If you had to choose between your wife or winning the lottery, what new car would you pick"?

Late & Tired

Depends on what rank you are going to be promoted into and what trade you are.

For me, i don't want to be a FS as it will pretty much guarantee a posting to TCW and a ridiculous amount of SJARS to write; somewhere in the region of:
    25 2ROs for SAC/12 for Cpl and...

5 1ROs for Sgts

.... then all of the other work that gets pushed onto your desk.

.... then being expected to mentor your JO....and so on.

However, if I got to go where I wanted: Location, etc then I would consider it. But that's not the way it works. Unless you're an absolute screamer and cry off, which I am not. So, in fact no....I'm happy to stay where I am and see out my 22 years and leave with my hair intact, albeit slightly greyer.
    As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is pay, the pay rise from Sgt to FS is pathetic for the extra work involved. In my case I'm already on SDRP so if promoted I would get a 2% pay rise then nothing other than the 1% (if we're lucky) for 4 years. In effect they'd almost be getting a FS for free. It's only the pension jump (I have 25 years on AFPS75) that makes I worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everAD View Post
    What hasn't been mentioned yet is pay, the pay rise from Sgt to FS is pathetic for the extra work involved. In my case I'm already on SDRP so if promoted I would get a 2% pay rise then nothing other than the 1% (if we're lucky) for 4 years. In effect they'd almost be getting a FS for free. It's only the pension jump (I have 25 years on AFPS75) that makes I worth taking.
    An exceptionally valid point. Another reason for me not wanting the increased responsibility for very little reward.
    As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.

Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark.

It's certainly a much more complicated question that it was 5 years ago. Back then, I'd have probably grabbed it with both hands, along with whatever utterly rubbish posting they'd tied it to.

But these days things are very different. After 5 years of poor promotion numbers, and constantly being just beyond the cusp of the cut-off and getting overlooked (and seeing quite a few people who really shouldn't be promoted get there before me), I'm just old and bitter and twisted these days. I used to be able to picture myself as a lifer in the RAF, but no more.

I would probably still take the rank tabs if they were offered (primarily because Mrs WB would shoot me if I didn't), but I'll not be signing on for LOS30. The only incentive to take promotion now would be financial - it'll get me a few extra beer tokens a month, and a fractionally higher payout on my 22 - which I will NOT be working past. I can't see the point of signing up to LOS30 'so that I can PVR if I choose to', when things will run much more smoothly if I have a definitive end date (in theory).

I'd be quite interested to know if the higher-ups of the RAF think that there are still incentives to taking promotion. Other than a pay rise (pretty much the only chance to get one, and even then it'll be frozen until I'm almost out) and a fractionally better pension, what else is there?

The Mess? I don't think so. The Messes are a farcical draconian tradition that we've unfortunately been unwilling to let go of. I've coped quite well without a Mess for 16 years, I see no reason why I would want to join a club that forces membership (and fees) but doesn't offer me anything useful in return (and no, the occasional forced-fun dining in and out don't count). Oh, and more uniform, that you have to pay for!

Additional responsibility? I've been taking on SNCO roles for the best part of a decade, what's the difference???

Better postings? Nope. Same rubbish areas, just less people to go around so less chance of moving if you want to.

Sorry people but I can't see it. If the offer came in tomorrow, and was tied to a particularly rubbish posting (either too far to commute or overseas or just a lousy shift job) then I'd probably have to say no thanks.

For me, i decided a couple of years ago i wasn't going to live in a Barrack Block and be a weekend dad, so any postings would need to be commutable. Then i got my LTD 14miles from home and i'm happy.

IF (and its a big if) i got offered promotion, i would want to stay on the unit i'm at now, but theres 1x SNCO Wpns job here, and thats moving to Cranwell (apparently) in the not to distant future, so any promotion would mean a posting, and therefore would almost certainly mean living in the block.

Financially, i'm on SDRP, so would get the 5% payrise on promotion then nothing for 4-5yrs. I'd also be paying accomodation, extra food, and of course the cost of travelling back home at weekends. The extra pension is negligable, although the gratuity is higher.

And thats before we even get near to thinking about the state of the RAF currently, with less people about to cover the jobs that need doing, longer and more frequent OOAs, the erosion of almost everything that once made this a great job.

Sorry, but for me, unless it came with a posting that suited me, i'd turn it down almost without a second thought.

In fact, even if it did come with an ideal posting, i'd have to think long and hard about taking it or not.

I was never a promotion chaser up to Sgt but once I'd got that I thought it would be nice to at least get to Chief so you could say that was the only rank I really pushed for. Now I've got 4 years left until LOS32, I'm looking forward to slowing down a bit so not bothered about FS but if it was offered on the right terms (location, job) I might be tempted.

What would you guys that would turn down promotion if the location wasn't to you liking do, if they posted you in rank then offered promotion the day you got to your new unit?
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast