Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Germany accomodation

Mrs. Rocket and I are planning to tour Germany by car at the end of March and I wondered if goaters can advise if there is still service-based accomodation (messes etc.) that can be used as well as the usual hotels?

If I'm correct, I think Javelin Barracks/Bruggen and Paderborn are the only UK bases left but I seem to remember a tri-service facility near Oberammergau?

Is it possible to use NATO forces accommodation?

Before anyone says it - I'm not too tight-fisted to stay in a hotel but it seems silly not use facilities that may or may not serve the purpose just as well.

Sorry to ask another question so quickly but it's different and related at the same time.

So far, I'm planning to drive through France to Leonberg - Scloss Neuschwanstein - Munich - Berlin.

I was based as a singly J/T at Bruggen in the mid 90's and my travelling was mostly down the West side to the South so can anyone suggest anywhere else worth visiting on the way from Berlin back across to the channel? I mostly remember the north of Germany being full of factories & knocking shops - hardly the sort of places I want to take the wife!!

Overloon War Museum just over the Dutch Border.. https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/

Good shopping In Eindhoven for her (and good bars for you to wait in)

You can marvel at the traffic jam on the Antwerp ring road... (if that had been there in 1940, the Germans wouldn't have got any further)

Quote Originally Posted by FOMz View Post
    Overloon War Museum just over the Dutch Border.. https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/

Good shopping In Eindhoven for her (and good bars for you to wait in)

You can marvel at the traffic jam on the Antwerp ring road... (if that had been there in 1940, the Germans wouldn't have got any further)
    Yes I remember the joys of the 6 lane Antwerp car park

How about the journey from Berlin to the border though? I've thought about Koln but it still leaves a lot of journey to fill from Berlin.

The Drive Through brothel in Essen is a non-starter I take it....

You could entertain her with BFBS radio..

6. Ramstein has welfare flats off base-------contact EJSU Ramstein, There cheap!!

Javelin Bks closed December 2015! Now houses refugees. The only British Army camps left open are in Paderborn, Gutersloh and Bielefeld, but not for much longer.

8. Quote Originally Posted by rocket scientist View Post
    Yes I remember the joys of the 6 lane Antwerp car park

How about the journey from Berlin to the border though? I've thought about Koln but it still leaves a lot of journey to fill from Berlin.

It all depends what sort of things you're interested in. I pretty much like anything so Potsdam is an interesting place to visit, Sansoucchi Palace is quite famous and it's a nice town with lots of old architecture. Maybe have a look at Hannover and visit the Luftfahrtsmuseum which has about 40 aircraft on display. Wuppertal has the suspension railway, I thought that was great. Dusseldorf is top for altbier and has some tremendous beerhalls, similar in Cologne but their beer style is Kolsch, take a trip down the Rhine in either. Take in a game at Borussia Park, cheapest tickets are less than 20 euros and you can get your tickets online. Is Jan's bar still in Roermond? I got very emotional standing on the bridge at Arnhem (even though it's not the original bridge) and the Hartenstein Airborne Museum is close by in Oosterbeek. If you get to Antwerp you have to visit the Kulminator bar, it's only a small place but has the widest range of beer I've ever experienced.
    I'm as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers

9. I forgot to add, when you're near Mönchengladbach you could visit the towns of Wankum and Titz.
    I'm as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers