Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Help wanted to identify RAF medals

Gentlemen of the RAF, i need your assistance.
    I came to e-goat, for, hopefully a sensible answer.
    Remembrence day,Nottingham, 12 Nov, seen this guy in uniform, and it looked highly suspicous
    Does anyone identify these medals, as i have no clue what they are.
    Many thanks ''H''
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4914 - Copy.PNG  

I don't suppose you have a clearer picture do you? It's the badge on his eppalette that might give it away?

Was he with any Air Cadets by any chance? Coukd he be a Spacey Adult SNCO?

Hmmm, the one on the left looks rather like a 14-15 Star... if it is then a serving Sgt certainly wouldn't have earned it on his own account!!!! If it is a relative's medal (Grandfather or Great Grandfather) then I would have expected a Sgt to know not to wear it on that side (if at all...).

I'm not a fan of wearing a relative's medals; I can understand the NoK (Widow or child) doing it but after the first generation it just feels wrong, especially for 'just' campaign medals. I did see a VC on a right breast at our War Memorial on Sun but we did have 2 WW1 VC winners from the town and at least one of the families does still live locally.

I must admit, FOMz, that the epaulette looks suspiciously like VRT....
    Last edited by Oldstacker; 5 Days Ago at 21:45.

4. yes, he is a Sgt(ATC)
    the first medal is a 'General Service Cross'' (Bigbury mint - 62 inc VAT) it's the one nearest, i can't identify, and wonderedi it was, actually genuine..... but probably not!!
    like yoursellf, i got mine, supporting overseas ops, not surfing online shops!!

if you have time you could trawl through this site to find a sequence of ribbon colours that match. Hard to clearly see exactly which colours are in the photo

http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/britribb.htm
    Last edited by Tin basher; 4 Days Ago at 21:11.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Could the one on the right be the Volunteer Reserve Service Medal?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volu..._Service_Medal

If its a spacey SNCO, Id suggest that these could be a jubilee medal and the reserves medal, which IIRC is oval in shape.

I doubt a anyone in a genuine uniform would dare to wear online or others medal on this side of their chest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

8. i have checked some medal charts, and i agree the photo isnt clear, but the right looks like the volunteer reserve medal (just about). I have no idea what the left one is at all, doesnt seem to match anthing that i can find. I service help at the spaccies and it defo isnt the cadet medal

what ever they are, they are not service issue and should not be worn with uniform, you shouldn't even wear your relatives whilst in uniform.
    Good food, good accomodation and good pay are the 3 pillars for keeping people happy in the RAF (WO Catering, Inside Brize Norton, Thursday 19th Dec 2013) roll on the day that ever happens.........

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstacker View Post
    Hmmm, the one on the left looks rather like a 14-15 Star... if it is then a serving Sgt certainly wouldn't have earned it on his own account!!!! If it is a relative's medal (Grandfather or Great Grandfather) then I would have expected a Sgt to know not to wear it on that side (if at all...).

I'm not a fan of wearing a relative's medals; I can understand the NoK (Widow or child) doing it but after the first generation it just feels wrong, especially for 'just' campaign medals. I did see a VC on a right breast at our War Memorial on Sun but we did have 2 WW1 VC winners from the town and at least one of the families does still live locally.

I must admit, FOMz, that the epaulette looks suspiciously like VRT....
    Yep, I'd say that's a 14-15 Star on the left, but the ribbon seems to be backwards (should be red-white-blue, not blue-white-red, but then a 100 year old medal has probably been re-ribboned).

Looks to me like a ATC SNEC wearing his parents / grandparents medals, unfortunately on the wrong side of his uniform. But he's ATC - does he really give a sh!t??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast