Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Russia and the online disinformation campaign, how does it work?

Russia is at the forefront of information warfare in the modern age, utilising an array of organisations and strategies to spread misinformation to further national strategy but how are they doing it?

Every now and then we come across a report from one of the many Russian state broadcasters that have more than remarkable headlines revolving around military equipment, more often than not the F-35 and it seems fairly obvious that the piece has a clear agenda but why is this being done?

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/guid...tion-campaign/

Quote Originally Posted by FOMz View Post
    Russia is at the forefront of information warfare in the modern age, utilising an array of organisations and strategies to spread misinformation to further national strategy but how are they doing it?

Every now and then we come across a report from one of the many Russian state broadcasters that have more than remarkable headlines revolving around military equipment, more often than not the F-35 and it seems fairly obvious that the piece has a clear agenda but why is this being done?

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/guid...tion-campaign/

It's a good question. Perhaps they hope that by painting the picture that the F35 isn't up to scratch they can undermine its support in the US Congress and lead to its cancellation, with ramifications for NATO accordingly.
    Rimmer: I've no idea who you are, but boarding this vessel is an act of war, ergo we surrender! And as prisoners of war, I invoke the All Nations Agreement article number 39436175880932/B.

Kryten: 39436175880932/B? All nations attending the conference are only allocated one car parking space? Is that entirely relevant, sir? I mean, here we are in mortal danger and you're worried about the Chinese delegates bringing two cars.

Because they can, doesn’t really cost too much and meets their own national agenda.

Is this just the modern equivalent of the BBC World Service and Voice of America?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Hilary Clinton spent almost $1.6 billion on her campaign, Trump almost $60 million. The Russkies paid for around $100k on Facebook ads. Cheap at half the price!

They do disinformation, we do disinformation and that's been the way for decades. nothing new to see here.

IMHO the west is using the Russian threat to deflect the public's gaze from the feckin' disasters our own countries have become. Perhaps Mrs May could look at housing, defence, policing, agriculture, the NHS and every other major cluster**** we have in the UK before telling us to look for reds under the bed.
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Russian departments with such an agenda strongly believe that they don't have to prove beyond all doubt that their product is the best, just cause doubt about their opponents.....
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

Hows about this then.....

An image from the game ‘AC-130 Gunship Simulator: Special Ops Squadron’ has been used by the Russian defence ministry as ‘irrefutable evidence’ of cooperation between US forces and Islamic State militants in Syria.

The photographs appeared on Facebook posts from the official account posted on Tuesday morning, which accused the US of providing air cover for an Islamic State convoy with the aim of using the fighters to further US interests.

“The US are actually covering the ISIS combat units to recover their combat capabilities, redeploy, and use them to promote the American interests in the Middle East.”

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/russ...islamic-state/