Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Greetings

  1. Greetings

    No prizes for guessing where I spent a lot of my time in the mob: 1984 - 2000

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    11,527
    Welcome Digby. What trade?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

  3. SpecTel -> ROT -> CSA
    399su then 591su. 591 were the happiest years of my working life, I bloody loved it there. Ended up in 'Compusec' what we now call Cyber Security. Served me well!
    Being on det with some of the characters there, I'll never forget it. One disaster to another

  4. #4
    there were plenty of interesting characters at diggers, who probably would all be kicked out in todays modern RAF
    fakir off !

  5. Quote Originally Posted by sid the squid View Post
    there were plenty of interesting characters at diggers, who probably would all be kicked out in todays modern RAF
    Glad I served when I did, from reading these boards it seems the RAF was a much more interesting experience back then.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    On my own little planet
    Posts
    1,175
    Diggers has most certainly changed since your time. Personally I've been posted there twice, and I'd rather PVR than accept another posting there....I don't know what's more soul-destroying: the work environment, the station itself, or it's location!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Finally stopped moving house
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    Diggers has most certainly changed since your time. Personally I've been posted there twice, and I'd rather PVR than accept another posting there....I don't know what's more soul-destroying: the work environment, the station itself, or it's location!
    The four letter influence? ......ARMY
    Retired and lovin' it! Move over Victor Meldrew, I'm getting older & crustier by the day

  8. When I was there I eventually bought my own place in Lincoln, a lot of us in the ROT trade did just that. Lincoln was a nice place, we (my then GF who became my wife) loved it there, great pubs and restaurants. Some of the Lincoln locals had a reputation for being a bit anti-RAF, i never experienced any problems myself.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    On my own little planet
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by Digzster View Post
    The four letter influence? ......ARMY
    That's certainly a large part of it, yes (though the same can be said for every Joint posting our trade has just now. Int Corps aren't so bad to work for, but I'd rather dip my nadgers in molten lead than work for RSigs Regt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    When I was there I eventually bought my own place in Lincoln, a lot of us in the ROT trade did just that. Lincoln was a nice place, we (my then GF who became my wife) loved it there, great pubs and restaurants. Some of the Lincoln locals had a reputation for being a bit anti-RAF, i never experienced any problems myself.
    Yeah quite a lot of the 'RAF Lincolnshire' tribe still tend to buy locally. There are still great pubs and restaurants, and I've not nothing against Lincoln itself, generally it's got everything you could need. But Digby itself is pretty soulless; there's an air of depression than seems to surround the camp. It's not so much a problem with the locals, more the 1st world problems that come with living in that area (crappy roads that never seem to get de-iced in winter, micro-bugs that flood your house in summer, the stink from the surrounding fields, the fact that you can't walk to a local pub without risking your life on the unlit, pavementless roads, etc).

  10. Oh god yes, I remember walking to the Royal Oak in Scopwick many times on that fast road in the middle of winter, just for a decent pint of bitter and some cheese and pickle sandwiches
    No wonder so many of us moved off base.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top