Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    There is a segment of society that does not measure the latest iPhone in terms of cost...They measure it in terms of social standing and having one a few minutes before the next person.

In Birmingham airport last night I almost mowed over a number of people who were dragging their little bags in one hand and had a smart phone in the other...glued to the screen...nothing else matters. It is these people that would spend in excess of 1k on a 'phone' although its not really a phone anymore. If you were to use the full potential of even an old'ish iPhone you wouldn't be able to look up for air and when you lost it your life would quite literally be over unless you had it backed up!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    ..... and when you lost it your life would quite literally be over unless you had it backed up!
    Yes a bit disconcerting when your whole life can be carried off by a couple of strong ants.
    It all started with nothing, then it exploded.

3. I stay about 18 months behind the curve

Upgrade when the "new" gizmo is replaced but pay a lot less and from my perspective, I am still upgrading

Works for me & saves a shed load of money

Quote Originally Posted by NigeC View Post
    I stay about 18 months behind the curve
    I stay a little further behind. Popped into Tesco to renew Miss TB's phone contract and was told that as I'd had mine for long enough to be entitled to an update. The counter service resident geek boys face was a picture when I said as it still works fine I'll keep it for while yet. He apparently couldn't grasp that I was not thrusting after the latest shiney phone thing. He did however describe my monthly download usage as "Impressively low"
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Quote Originally Posted by Tin basher View Post
    I stay a little further behind. Popped into Tesco to renew Miss TB's phone contract and was told that as I'd had mine for long enough to be entitled to an update. The counter service resident geek boys face was a picture when I said as it still works fine I'll keep it for while yet. He apparently couldn't grasp that I was not thrusting after the latest shiney phone thing. He did however describe my monthly download usage as "Impressively low"
    TB old chap you need to go SIM only, at the moment your subsidising the upgrade fools.

Iíd strongly recommend one of the MVNOs depending on the coverage where you use your phone the most.

The iPhone for one, if you donít buy the latest model but not the cheap version, is a good example of longevity, Apple tend to support the OS for 3 or 4 years and a new battery after a couple of years should see it remain useful for this long.

Thatís one of the reasons I left the Android camp, lack of updates means youíve got security issues pretty quickly and because you donít get the current version of the OS you end up upgrading sooner.

Oh yes and never buy the latest model especially if thereís been a design refresh, bendy iPhone 6s and coming apart 8s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

I've just passed my upgrade point and decided to keep the 6. It does everything I need, battery still good and sim only contract is £25 cheaper for a lot more data. So no I wouldn't just for the sake of upgrading.
    When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion

7. Wife and I tend to buy the phone in the Apple store, then take out a sim only deal (EE at the moment) then keep for a few years. Works out much cheaper compared to getting an all in one contract Ďdealí.

On a 6S at the moment which is fine. Might go for the 8S if it comes out next autumn.

Buying direct from Apple has its benefits; I managed to drop my 2 month old iPhone in a urinal on a night out. Took it into the Apple store the following day and they replaced it for free (water damage!). They are much more generous if you have bought from them over a contract.

8. No, I wouldn't buy the latest iphone. Indeed, I have only recently entered into the world of smartphones even though I pay for the family phone contracts and everyone else has a smartphone. My old Nokia pay as you go was great as it could be used as both a portable telephone and and a text messaging device which was all I needed and one charge lasted a week. I would have happily stayed with the Nokia but Mrs Ted was complaining that her old Samsung S4 was slow so as her sim only contract was coming to an end I upgraded her phone to an LG K8 which was only a pound a month more than her sim only contact at £8.50pm. Unfortunately the K8 turned out to be a massive bag of sh1te, full of bloatware, only 8gb internal storage and LG had locked down Android disabling adoptable storage so adding a micro SD card made no difference. Installing two extra apps rendered the phone useless as the internal storage was then full and Mrs Ted wasn't happy. So I purchased an unlocked Moto G5 for £150 and it's pretty good, quite fast, no bloatware, 16gb internal storage and the latest version of Android which is not locked down like the K8.

Now I had a K8 to play with and using ADB Fastboot was able to force the phone to use adoptable storage so job's a good 'un. It's still not a great phone but is now useful at least. I decided to pair it with a sim from Plusnet which is a monthly contract with 500 mins and 3Gb data for 8 quid.

So no new fancy phones for us, a decent cheap phone is good enough (though next time I'll do more research to avoid the K8 situation) and paired with a sim only contract. I really can't understand why people pay for expensive phone contracts.
    I'm as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123