Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What keeps people in past their 22 point?

I was discussing this with an old mate in the boozer over the weekend. We both did out 22 and left.. but we were amazed at the amount of people we know who actually stay in past their 22 point and we couldn't see why?

Was it because they lacked ambition to strike out into civvy street? were they too comfortable in the MQ with a big car and the Mooses working for pin money in the local garage (other low paid jobs are available) or was it because they knew they were guaranteed promotion through attrition because all the real quality people had up sticks and left? Or.... was it because the actually enjoyed it and found it a worthwhile career?

What do you think goaters?

2. I did LOS 30 for the one and only reason of it was a safe job. I had a plan to pay off the mortgage early, so I could be semi retired at 50. Working part time now as and when.
    Loving it

3. Quote Originally Posted by FOMz View Post
    Was it because they lacked ambition to strike out into civvy street? were they too comfortable in the MQ with a big car and the Mooses working for pin money in the local garage (other low paid jobs are available) or was it because they knew they were guaranteed promotion through attrition because all the real quality people had up sticks and left? Or.... was it because the actually enjoyed it and found it a worthwhile career?

What do you think goaters?
    Because the 'quality people' left - wtf?

This is the second comment in the last few days that mentions if you stay in past your 22 you're some sort of idiot?

How about it's a decent wage, the pension is still increasing and the fact some still feel it's a worthwhile job and feel that you are still contributing to good cause? I still feel proud to serve.

Of course you/i can't continue forever in the military (although changes in extensions/reserves etc means you actually may be able to!) but as GOV1, it is my intention to go to LOS30 and by that time my mortgage will be clear, kids over 18 and i will be able to semi-retire.

Each persons situation is different, but you are by no means thought of any lower by me because you choose to continue to serve.

Surely your comments are a fishing trip and you don't really believe the rubbish you just posted?
    Last edited by Dan_Brown; 1 Week Ago at 11:32.

Decent wage, decent pension, decent people, still opportunities to travel and remembering that when I worked in Civvy Street, the grass isn't always greener....

I won't stay in past LOS32 though.

I suppose this depends entirely on personal circumstances and your ability to effectively plan out your future....

Example - I don't intend doing past 22 - but my reasoning is quite simple...

1. There have been far too many negative changes in the past 10 years; although the RAF itself hasn't got significantly worse, I don't see the RAF as being in control (the govt / MOD are in control, and quite frankly they're no longer a reliable employer).
    2. 22 years is a quarter of my life expectancy - I'd like to do more than just the RAF before I kick the bucket.
    3. (Well,more like 2.1 really...) I'll be able to retire at age 45 at my 22 point; the mortgage won't be paid but the pension will cover it; and I still have 20 years to go until I have to retire, so another career / pension perhaps?
    4. My kids will be in their late teens, so I'll have gotten them through the hardest part (school) and I'll be able to kick back a bit.

6. That said, having been in for 19 years, out for 18 years and now back in again.... this is a lot easier and more stress free than real work. It was the right move to get out and have some fun when I did, but heavens, it can bear down on you as you climb the slippery pole.

7. I hit my 22 year point smack bang in the middle of a 4 year detachment to Cyprus. I'd waited a long time for that overseas tour and I wanted to finish it off. After being posted back to the UK I only did 3 more years before leaving. I had always planned on only doing 22, but the Cyprus thing got in the way a bit and I was actually enjoying myself, even after coming back to Waddo. It was my last Falklands det that I think eventually persuaded me that 26 years was enough for me.

Far away from London control in Manchester
    Would the best of both worlds be doing a long stint in the service, then remaining as a civvy in the service after? Stafford was a prime place for this. As much as the ones I knew at the Radar stations during my Yuff.

I've 3yrs left to my 22 and at the moment (As long as some massive upheaval in my life doesn't come along forcing me to rely upon the relative security of having a job in the RAF) the only thing that'll keep me in (bare minimum) is to complete 2yrs in rank to top up the 75 part of my Pension ~ if by the grace of whatever you believe in sees me not requiring that time then I'll leave at 22.

I just believe it's a lot easier to embed and blossom within a second career in your early 40's than it is in your 50's.
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

There's lots of reasons to stay, just as there's lots of reasons to go, however, if you are in a position of choice, then choosing to stay means you haven chosen not to leave, what makes people who chose to stay, chose not to leave?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast