Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scottish end to pay cap

So Nicola Sturgeon says she will end the pay cap in Scotland for public sector workers from next year:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7927811.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41141373

Surely she can't implement this for armed forces personnel serving in Scotland? Maybe it's a desperate attempt to get volunteers for Benbecular?

I don't see how she can implement this for anyone not employed by Scottish bodies - so civil servants working in the Scottish talking shop could get a pay rise while anybody (uniformed or CS) working within MOD gets stuck with whatever London decides.

Far away from London control in Manchester
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldstacker View Post
    I don't see how she can implement this for anyone not employed by Scottish bodies - so civil servants working in the Scottish talking shop could get a pay rise while anybody (uniformed or CS) working within MOD gets stuck with whatever London decides.
    I was think whether they could be eligible for some form of pay rise in a way people of the country of London receive extras. Or seeing they must pay the council tax locally for the amenities and local benefits in forms of child welfare or adult care allowance. Would the Civil Service within the MOD being locally employed not become eligible. Remember when the Poll Tax in 1988 first introduced in Scotland. At RAF SAXAVORD everyone were paying about 118 PA for amenities we never got, until a complaint to Shetland Island Council sorted the problem out for services.

4. Service personnel in Scotland (FS pay rates and above) pay more income tax so anything' possible.

5. Had it confirmed today that Sturgeon does not have the power to increase MoD or Civil Servant pay for anyone serving in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    Service personnel in Scotland (FS pay rates and above) pay more income tax so anything' possible.
    Do they? It was my understanding they pay the same is the rest of us...
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

7. Their pay is the same, the amount of tax they pay on it differs. Anyone posted to Scotland has an S at the end of their tax code. Currently this means that those earning above 43000 pay 40% income tax while it's above 45000 in the rest of the UK.

From Techie Tubby's post it looks like Scottish Service personnel are about to all pay more tax (the upcoming changes will hit the 20% payers as well from the sounds of it) but not earn the extra money that goes with it for other public sector workers.

The best thing that could happen to Scotland is some sort of plague that just hits the SNP.

So is that S for Sturgeon Tax, suppose you can get a free university education for your kids so paying an extra 800 per year might be worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

I'm sure I read a DIN that those posted to Scotland pay the same tax rates as the rest of the UK as opposed to Scottish rates...
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

10. That must a new DIN for the future then because currently we're taxed differently.

As for the free uni there's another kick in the balls coming. If they can, SAAS (the funding body) will refuse to pay for uni fees if the student is relatively new or a recent returnee to Scotland. I personally know of 2 students who were told they weren't entitled. One who'd followed her dad on a posting South for a couple of years before returning and another who was serving and applied to the Open University. He was told he didn't qualify for Scottish subsidised fees as a Serviceman. The SNP have nothing but contempt for Service personnel and I have nothing but contempt for Service personnel that support them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast