Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Saxa Vord Reopening?

Been hearing rumours that a radar is going back up north. Anyone confirm this?

2. Yes there is! The SCIDA Rep at Lossie is heavy in the plans so by virtue of geography (his desk is in C4I) so is C4I at Lossie. Latest plan (Don't judge because it's really stupid) is to move the radar from Staxton and upgrade under the current upgrade contract. Buchan was asked about supporting it manpower wise, Buchan promptly told them to feck off.

Saxa was sold off and became a visitor centre. Won't be the first time the MOD have fooked up and defo not the last.
    Old Scopies never die 'Their afterglow just fades away'

4. Thumbs up dave75

Quote Originally Posted by norfolkred1 View Post
    saxa was sold off and became a visitor centre. Won't be the first time the mod have fooked up and defo not the last.
    by the way buchan is now a hotel and small industrial units .

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    by the way buchan is now a hotel and small industrial units .

Only Benbec still turning and burning in that part of the World
    Old Scopies never die 'Their afterglow just fades away'

Quote Originally Posted by norfolkred1 View Post
    Saxa was sold off and became a visitor centre. Won't be the first time the MOD have fooked up and defo not the last.
    Mid-site & domestic site were sold off.

Top site + Tx/Rx sites are still MoD. Saxa is still a RRS supported by Buchan.
    They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare, reading E-Goat has proved this is NOT the case...

So from those that know it...

Good or bad posting and why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Far away from London control in Manchester
    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    So from those that know it...

Good or bad posting and why?
    88/89 Was a fun time for me there working in the Supply side.

10. My first posting - 83/84. Loved it. New accommodation had just been built. No WRAF allowed then but it was pretty good because of that (200 guys in total IIRC). Lerwick had nurses which were bussed up now and then - which was nice, hehe. Lerwick itself wasn't great, but at least it represented some sort of civilisation; 3 buses and 2 ferries to get there from Unst. Often got stuck on the middle island (Yell) due to ferry cancellations.

Amazing scenery, terrible wind. Scary times on exercise I recall. They used to issue Arctic Parkers, but they just acted as wind breaks. Seen a lot of guys swept away in the wind, especially around the dome bases. Luckily no serious injuries that I saw. Radar was lost twice. The second time from inside a dome - that's how bad the wind was there. I also did Benbecula and Shetland was much nicer than the Outer Hebrides.

Only 2 pubs when I was there, can't remember there names now, but I believe that went down to one. Accommodation, NAFI, Mess all inside for Juniors so one cold spend the whole time indoors.

I have very fond memories of Saxa Vord, probably more than anywhere else I went afterwards.