Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: How'd you feel about your job?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love my job

24 36.36%
  • Hate it!

13 19.70%
  • Meh!

29 43.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do You Love Your Job?

Interesting office conversation yesterday which I thought I'd extend onto the Goat...

Simply put...do you love, hate or are indifferent about your job?

If full time them it's the thing that takes up most of your waking hours so is it working for you.

Why? Why not? What you doing about if not?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Do I love my job? What a great question......I would have to say I am firmly in the "indifferent" camp!

On the one hand it pays well, it's allowed me to settle down and buy a house, as long as I put my contracted hours in I am able to come and go when I please - all good things.

But on the other hand, there are days when I miss the structure of the military - when you ask someone to do something and they don't do it you can't b**lock them like you would in the RAF. Sometimes I am amazed that its a miracle anything actually gets done. Oh, and crewroom banter - boy do I miss that...
    Rimmer: I've no idea who you are, but boarding this vessel is an act of war, ergo we surrender! And as prisoners of war, I invoke the All Nations Agreement article number 39436175880932/B.

Kryten: 39436175880932/B? All nations attending the conference are only allocated one car parking space? Is that entirely relevant, sir? I mean, here we are in mortal danger and you're worried about the Chinese delegates bringing two cars.

"Love" is a bit OTT but it's certainly the most interesting job I've had since joining up.

How are you applying this to those of us still serving? Example - I love my current posting, but I'm quite indifferent about the RAF these days. I only love my current posting because of it has the right mix of good people, interesting work and a good working environment; I can almost guarantee that a posting to anywhere else would leave me indifferent about the post, and indifferent (if not hating) still serving.

Love my family can't apply that to my job, enjoy the job yes, saying that, DWRs exempted, I've only had one job I didn't enjoy and that was only down to the OC, who suddenly had to leave in the end.

Whilst serving I took what was offered so it's not like I worked my way into plumb roles, and apart from 3 years on a Sqn, never really got a position that people used to die for.

Really enjoy my current role, very challenging, interesting and in about 8 months will have really tangible outputs that I would have part of the team that made it happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    How are you applying this to those of us still serving? Example - I love my current posting, but I'm quite indifferent about the RAF these days. I only love my current posting because of it has the right mix of good people, interesting work and a good working environment; I can almost guarantee that a posting to anywhere else would leave me indifferent about the post, and indifferent (if not hating) still serving.
    Current posting. You are no different to someone working at BAE for instance...expect there is 3.5 times as many people there and they get decent pay rises and stuff. Its a huge wrapper that covers whatever role you are in. Yes it influences parts of your working life but the job itself, that fills up your day with spannering or whatever is what you are judging here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Wink

I used to, but decided to take early retirement cos I could.Loving retirement more
    Cutbacks and change (Reinvent the wheel) would have made it less enjoyable!

8. Quote Originally Posted by fourteen2two View Post
    I used to, but decided to take early retirement cos I could.Loving retirement more
    Cutbacks and change (Reinvent the wheel) would have made it less enjoyable!
    I took early retirement too and love it more than any job I had. As for those jobs I had, on a bad day I hated them or on a good day was indifferent.
    I'm as happy as a Frenchman who's just invented a pair of self-removing trousers

Enjoy - absolutely. Especially when we receive an e-mail from someone who we've literally dropped everything to ensure they get to travel halfway across the world to see their grandfather before he passed away, or made sure a child in foster care gets a passport in time to go on holiday with the family who are helping to make their life a bit better.

10. I've spent the last several years operating in civvies making some excellent internal and external agency/organisation contacts. I have worked extensively throughout Europe for the few last years as the lowest rank in a NATO environment yet i am the one who is asked for advice and direction from OF-2 to OF-4 rank - suffice to say i am loving most elements of my job.

Here's the crux...........i have spent over a year or so on courses, i have spent a few years building, maintaining and developing contacts, yet i know when my 5 years is up Manning will be at the door:

"but policy says you must move, how do you fancy something that is nothing to do with the skill set and influence you have worked very hard to achieve?". Cue "all round development", "better promotable individual" blah blah blah.

It seems Manning are chained to outdated policy, how about right person for the role? Fortunately my organisation are switching onto this and they now realise that having spent all that time training individuals, learning and growing in the role and when they are now operating at their maximum effectiveness - posting comes through! Madness!

It will be interesting to see who wins this bun fight, but to answer the question - atm i am loving my role.
    Last edited by Dan_Brown; 14-07-2017 at 16:58.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast