Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: How'd you feel about your job?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love my job

24 36.36%
  • Hate it!

13 19.70%
  • Meh!

29 43.94%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm really enjoying my role at the moment, 2 months ago I inherited a waste gas burner scrubber system that had recently been built but had massive paperwork holes and miserable reliability.

2 months later weekly reliability has gone from 46% to 92% with the missing 8% being caused by operator error, on the paperwork side of it my knowledge of functional safety has increased massively and the paperwork holes are close to being plugged.

This role is a far cry from my last role in the RAF as an sac(t) fairy that was zero scored off of a promotion board with no explanation. That was the push I needed to take responsibility for my career into my own hands and I am half way through a part time electronic engineering degree and I'm making a reputation for myself for getting things done.
    "can you go to the med centre and pick up some fallopian tubing?"

I'm livin' the dream on a nice pension and everyday is a joy.
    Livn' the dream & luvin' every minute

3. Hate it. Don't believe that the way the organisation is now doing business represents the best of its in kind the world as it like to convince itself it is. Fed up with petty, small minded, limited capacity individuals having so much influence. Hate the knee-jerk, unplanned way things get changed and then changed again - e.g. dozens of lockers moved up two flights of stairs only to be moved back down again a few weeks later - nugatory, back breaking work carried out and then undone. People who have no sense of pride or ownership of their job, who just walk away leaving things their crap behind them for others to clear up. Management who are only able to focus on the trivial and unimportant yet simply ignore task critical decisions or fail to realise that these decisions are ones they should be taking not leaving to someone else. Morning meetings and weekly briefings that still seem to leave key information uncommunicated.
    And more.
    This is not my sig, it was like this when I got here.

When I was in the RAF... I thought 'I wouldn't mind doing that job working for that company when I leave'... Now I have that job for that company and I haven't been disappointed one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by propersplitbrainme View Post
    Hate it. Don't believe that the way the organisation is now doing business represents the best of its in kind the world as it like to convince itself it is. Fed up with petty, small minded, limited capacity individuals having so much influence. Hate the knee-jerk, unplanned way things get changed and then changed again - e.g. dozens of lockers moved up two flights of stairs only to be moved back down again a few weeks later - nugatory, back breaking work carried out and then undone. People who have no sense of pride or ownership of their job, who just walk away leaving things their crap behind them for others to clear up. Management who are only able to focus on the trivial and unimportant yet simply ignore task critical decisions or fail to realise that these decisions are ones they should be taking not leaving to someone else. Morning meetings and weekly briefings that still seem to leave key information uncommunicated.
    And more.
    Having recently retired from the above total cluster PSBM speaks of my new job of "retired old bloke" is ace.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Really enjoying mine
    Work 4 days a week, never a Monday or Friday (alternate), sometimes a 3-day week Tues-Thurs only.
    Plenty of travel if I want, lots of variety in the work.
    Owning your own business is great.
    "If you had to choose between your wife or winning the lottery, what new car would you pick"?

Late & Tired

At the start of my current tour I was full of pep and expectations, pleased to have been selected for something that folk give their right arm for. I have gradually like the majority of the Sqn, been grinded down to the point of going to work because I have to and not because I want to. It's only the belief that what we are doing will help the guys on the front line get the most from this kit, the banter and work ethics of some of the other guys and the location that keeps me as dedicated as possible. There does seem to be a total lack of understanding at times from the management, whose only concern is the enforcement of petty rules thought up by those who rarely come out of their air conditioned offices onto the hot shop floor which makes you want to just punch them repeatedly in their face whilst screaming 'Do you want this f*cking Jet fixing or not?!'

This place has the potential to be so much more.
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    At the start of my current tour I was full of pep and expectations, pleased to have been selected for something that folk give their right arm for. I have gradually like the majority of the Sqn, been grinded down to the point of going to work because I have to and not because I want to. It's only the belief that what we are doing will help the guys on the front line get the most from this kit, the banter and work ethics of some of the other guys and the location that keeps me as dedicated as possible. There does seem to be a total lack of understanding at times from the management, whose only concern is the enforcement of petty rules thought up by those who rarely come out of their air conditioned offices onto the hot shop floor which makes you want to just punch them repeatedly in their face whilst screaming 'Do you want this f*cking Jet fixing or not?!'

This place has the potential to be so much more.
    You need to INFORM the **** out of this mate. it's the only way they will listen, apart from all the airships reading these posts obviously.
    Good food, good accomodation and good pay are the 3 pillars for keeping people happy in the RAF (WO Catering, Inside Brize Norton, Thursday 19th Dec 2013) roll on the day that ever happens.........

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly_Jon View Post
    I'm livin' the dream on a nice pension and everyday is a joy.
    I read this and made you a present.....

voodoo-doll-640x400.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by ady eflog View Post
    You need to INFORM the **** out of this mate. it's the only way they will listen, apart from all the airships reading these posts obviously.
    It's been done before and we recently had a week long CI Event organised by our CO as he was aware the Sqn was broken, looking at everything from Leadership to Management, Shift Patterns, QA, Culture, Morale, Manpower etc. The WO of 617Sqn (You'll remember him....big Navy bloke who used to walk round our hangar on 20 with a billybat if he was p*ssed at the lads) was there as well as the SEngO and the upshot was a few minor changes or easy wins such as allowing shirts untucked, overalls around our waist to help cool down when not on the jet as we do work in over 46'c (That's before you take into consideration 'Hot Pit Refuels') although everywhere else I have been has been ok with only wearing overalls up if cutting about the area, office visits and when engines are running.....and onto longer term changes such as shift patterns, pastoral care rather than just the wifes trying to scrabble for info on Facebook. The SEngO also fell on her sword publicly with the CO informing us she has failed and that SEngO admitting she has failed - think of the worst micro manager ever and then multiply by a factor of 10. I still can't believe I actually witnessed such a show as she has at least got some aspects right.

So things have gotten a little bit better, but it's far from ok just yet. It doesn't help things SQEP wise that we are the only unit currently operating to UK Policy (MAP, 2N/R1 etc) with experienced manpower being posted out and inexperienced posted in which is something that won't improve until a certain base in Norfolk becomes populated with SQEP who then start rotating through.

I might revisit this post in 6 months to update on just how much it has changed.
    Elitest B'stard.

Show me a man who never fails and I'll show you a man who never tries.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast