Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ascension Islanders left stranded after RAF halts flights

Ascension Island, home to around 800 people, is even more cut off than it used to be after weekly flights linking the island to the UK were stopped - due to a dodgy runway and the wrong kind of RAF aircraft.

It used to be one of the longest in the world but now badly needs maintenance, and while there's a plan to have the tarmac repaired by 2020, the Airbus A330 Voyager aircraft the RAF uses to land on the island is no longer suitable.

The Ministry of Defence says it is committed to running an air bridge between the UK and the Falkland Islands, but not necessarily to Ascension.

The plane was very convenient as it stopped off on the island to refuel, but now it lands on Cape Verde, and the residents have been left somewhat stranded.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40442318

No More Assi Stop Over

Now the Cape Verdes will have a cloud of fag smoke over them as people get their fix before continuing doon South.

Bit of a blow for Ascention though...

Ascension Island, home to around 800 people, is even more cut off than it used to be after weekly flights linking the island to the UK were stopped - due to a dodgy runway and the wrong kind of RAF aircraft.
    How many cans did you managed to quaff in the hour or so you were there for?

I once bought a house on that dispersal back in Scotland using a phone patch!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40442318
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Must be a slow news day at the BBC, this is old news regurgitated.
    First reported mid April.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Dakar, Senegal was another stop point for ZE 704/5/6 in my time. They never let us off though..

One Round, One Kill

Just got back from a 2 week visit to MPA via Verde.. Flight is worse now.. One 6.5 hr flight, followed by 2 hrs in a terminal, followed by a 10.5 hr last leg... Gonna sleep well tonight

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Good to see some old faces at BAe Lincs

Easiest Raflo job going at Verde

7. Malesu, I would of loved to have had your journey, my one in July 1989 consisted of getting picked up at Gutersloh at around 050 and taken to Wildenrath to catch an aircraft to Lyneham, bus to Brize and then wait until nearly midnight for a delayed Tristar for a 12.5 hour trek to Ascension, the obligatory drinking contest in the hour there and then another 12.5 hours down to Falklands, mind you my entertainment was spending a lot of the flight sat in the cockpit, including the landing. Get to the Falklands to find a lot of wasted time in induction that could of been started at Brize and completed during the journey and paperwork handed in on arrival, but that would of been to easy.
    Programmers: "Computers will take over the world"
    Engineers: "Only when they learn to wire their own plugs"

Could have been worse.. Your trip could of have South Cearney involved as well.

And most of the MPA flights are only half full, so a good chance to get the 4 seat centre row to yourself. Makes it a bit easier to try get some sleep (when your not getting woken up for food and drinks).

Still, I'd rather not go down there in the first place... Probably got another 2 weeks around easter.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cooheed View Post
    Dakar, Senegal was another stop point for ZE 704/5/6 in my time. They never let us off though..
    My first Herc to ASI - Christ knows how many hours with an in flight refuel. Then VC10 to Senegal (they did let us off but God knows why) then back to Brize.

TBF I was happier on the boat on the way down.

non stop

Quote Originally Posted by Stevienics View Post
    My first Herc to ASI - Christ knows how many hours with an in flight refuel. Then VC10 to Senegal (they did let us off but God knows why) then back to Brize.

TBF I was happier on the boat on the way down.
    Came back from Stanley non stop in Herc!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast