Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Surely if someone's socks are THAT twisted, they should be discharged? A twisted sock was probably enough to stop Herrick dets out to front line AFG, but surely you'd have to be SERIOUSLY DAMAGED to not be able to do the SAME JOB in one of the big American run holiday camps, or in Aki?????? And if you're THAT DAMAGED, why are you still serving? Because you can still do your day job? Then you can do your day job in the sun somewhere in the Med, surely?

However, having seen the number of ginger people deployed to Aki (and the subsequent damage that exposure to sunlight causes to them), perpaps people of the ginger persuation should be limited to winter deployments, for their own good...(just a joke people, I'm not anti-GWAR..)

I'm an ex gwar and I spent 6 years at Aki with only the odd incidence of debilitation due to the shiny sky ball.

With regards what if every one took it, unlikely, flexible working isn't right for everyone nor for some people all the time. Don't know how they'd work it out as a full timer doesn't work 7 days a week, and legally you cannot be disadvantaged because you work part time.

Plenty of complications, what if you only want to work mornings, but 5 a week, term time only or perhaps a number of days per year. Nothing insurmountable as such patterns are accommodated in civi street relatively easily, just needs a mind set change in the military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    Surely if someone's socks are THAT twisted, they should be discharged?
    This isn't about someone being downgraded. This is for people who may have a kid with cancer, they can opt out of ops for a few years perhaps rather than leave. It's about trying to retain people who might leave because of personal circumstances, and it' a valid point, why should we lose experience because we are inflexible.

But enjoy your trip on the outrage train. Toot-toot.
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

4. It does sound rather strange. Back in the cold war days, you might have said that local service by WRAF's amounted to the same thing but they were all prepared for ops and suited and booted for NBC like the rest of us.

Perhaps what is meant that as long as we are not at war with anyone and there is no likelihood of UK being attacked on a significant scale then maybe a temporary opt out could be managed.

I suppose a that as Downsizer says, that instead of losing skilled people family circumstances should be considered but what are the boundaries, who is the arbiter and decision maker? Who's experience should be kept and whose can be let go? Which piece of elastic is applied and when and by who...?
    It all started with nothing, then it exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by busby1971 View Post
    Plenty of complications, what if you only want to work mornings, but 5 a week, term time only or perhaps a number of days per year. Nothing insurmountable as such patterns are accommodated in civi street relatively easily, just needs a mind set change in the military.
    My team's working pattern:

Me and one other - Mon-Fri 37hrs flexi, 9 months of the year
    6 - Mon-Fri 37 per week Flexi, 12 months of the year
    1 - Mon-Fri fixed 6 hrs per day, 12 months.
    1 - Mon-Fri fixed 5 hrs per day, 12 months
    1 - Wed-Fri 16 per week, flexi, 12 months

Other teams have various combinations of the above, plus some term time workers.

Our payroll system is a spitting image of JPA. So as Busby correctly says, the only thing that needs to be changed is a mindset within the military towards flexible working when back at base. From 1998 onwards, my Sqn HR team of 3 or 4 used to stagger their start/finish times to ensure late flying and the evening shift were given support, and we were mocked by the 8-5 brigade in PSF as being "arse wipers". How I laughed to see a recent article announcing how Coningsby PSF had "revolutionised" HR's way of working by opening early and staying late!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/rafconingsby/...752E9199AA55E3
    Last edited by muttywhitedog; 01-07-2017 at 08:47.

6. Sounds to me as if they're asking for volunteers to transfer to FTRS (by any other name...)!
    Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
    However, of all available utensils there could possibly be to use to eat rice,
    how on earth did 2 sticks win?

Quote Originally Posted by PingDit View Post
    Sounds to me as if they're asking for volunteers to transfer to FTRS (by any other name...)!
    It's a lot easier to close off a FTRS contract than a regular one, surely that wouldn't be the reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

8. There again, maybe that's exactly the reason...
    Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
    However, of all available utensils there could possibly be to use to eat rice,
    how on earth did 2 sticks win?

British Troops Could 'Opt Out' Of Operations Your Message

Did not the Canadians have a two tier army during WW2? Churchill was frustrated at the retention within Canada of thousands of troops who, he reckoned, should have been deployed in NWE. Evidently on conscription, you could elect for overseas service or for the defence of Canada only.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12