Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

British Troops Could 'Opt Out' Of Operations

Armed forces personnel could be given the right to opt out of operations and overseas exercises.

The possibility has arisen after new proposals were announced to shake up working conditions for servicemen and women.

Details were revealed in the Queen's Speech last week, which included limitations on where personnel would have to serve under the Armed Forces Flexible Working Bill.

Army chiefs think the move could help attract and keep women in the forces, as well as alleviating problems which cause many personnel to quit.

The Ministry of Defence says operational requirements would still come first, however.

http://www.forces.net/news/how-briti...out-operations

Quote Originally Posted by FOMz View Post
    Armed forces personnel could be given the right to opt out of operations and overseas exercises.

The possibility has arisen after new proposals were announced to shake up working conditions for servicemen and women.

Details were revealed in the Queen's Speech last week, which included limitations on where personnel would have to serve under the Armed Forces Flexible Working Bill.

Army chiefs think the move could help attract and keep women in the forces, as well as alleviating problems which cause many personnel to quit.

The Ministry of Defence says operational requirements would still come first, however.

http://www.forces.net/news/how-briti...out-operations
    Oh dear god.....
    Rimmer: I've no idea who you are, but boarding this vessel is an act of war, ergo we surrender! And as prisoners of war, I invoke the All Nations Agreement article number 39436175880932/B.

Kryten: 39436175880932/B? All nations attending the conference are only allocated one car parking space? Is that entirely relevant, sir? I mean, here we are in mortal danger and you're worried about the Chinese delegates bringing two cars.

Probably along the current FTRS commitments of HC, LC and FC and paid as such, all these currently have an underlying Reserve Contract with the liability for mobilisation.

Greater diversity and non binary methods of working can only be a good thing for the military, which is generally working to a single rigid methodology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Don't know about you but I joined the military precisely to travel the world on operations (admittedly that only meant the Falklands!). Would not having some personnel who do volunteer for Ops and then those who opt out create a two-tier RAF and possibly discontent at those who don't deploy?
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjarabbi View Post
    Don't know about you but I joined the military precisely to travel the world on operations (admittedly that only meant the Falklands!). Would not having some personnel who do volunteer for Ops and then those who opt out create a two-tier RAF and possibly discontent at those who don't deploy?
    NJ agree my thoughts as well, would have to be implemented in a fair way to be successful, I would suggest that from my experience there's already a two tier system via the twisted sock brigade, who take a lot of the gain without their share of the pain.

Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Quote Originally Posted by busby1971 View Post
    NJ agree my thoughts as well, would have to be implemented in a fair way to be successful, I would suggest that from my experience there's already a two tier system via the twisted sock brigade, who take a lot of the gain without their share of the pain.

My god.. I agree with Busby!!

We had those that were deployed and the professional twisted socks, those that always seemed to get fit just in time for promotion and then twist their socks again straight after.

I did three DWRs between 2006-2008 and it was the same faces handing over to each other each time because of the high twisted sock rate.

Originally Posted by busby1971 NJ agree my thoughts as well, would have to be implemented in a fair way to be successful, I would suggest that from my experience there's already a two tier system via the twisted sock brigade, who take a lot of the gain without their share of the pain.

What price would the twisted sock brigade put on the inconvenience of going away for 3 months?

I would suggest an 'Away from Base Pay Increment' something along the lines of ...

Detachment - 5 / day for working days & 2.50 / day for non working days.

Operational Deployment (MOB) - 20/ day for working days & 10 / day for non working days.

Operational Deployment (FOB) - 50/ day.

It would cost the treasury quite a bit but while the twisted sock brigade is still on strength the burden falls on the same people again and again and their commitment must be rewarded.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

These proposals offer people the temporary ability to opt out of deployments for a set period of time if approved by the CoC to deal with personal issues that would normally mean someone leaving. It's not a carte blanche to avoid dets.

But let's all get on the outrage bus cus it ain't like it used to be!
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
    These proposals offer people the temporary ability to opt out of deployments for a set period of time if approved by the CoC to deal with personal issues that would normally mean someone leaving. It's not a carte blanche to avoid dets.

But let's all get on the outrage bus cus it ain't like it used to be!
    What happened to you? You used to be fun! Now get your blood pressure back up to where it should be with the rest of us....
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is; it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong', Richard Feynman.

10. This links in to the New Joiner Offer, where it's possible you will forfeit X-Factor, pay, leave and pension if you opt for Flexible Engagements (not Flexible Working as they've erroneously mentioned below, that's a different beast!).

Would you give up your X-Factor and half your leave allowance, if you only had to work 3 days a week (for 3 days a week pay, and the associated pension) and a promise of no Ops/Dets/Exercises?

As Downsizer says, you wouldn't sign up to this for a 12 year engagement, it's only temporary. Not sure how it would work if everyone decided they want to do it at once though!?

Will also be interesting to see how the Navy manage it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast