Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Are you Going To Scampton Airshow?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • Maybe

5 16.13%
  • I'd Rather w@nk with Knives

26 83.87%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Well that's one way of looking at it!

I have to say that when I studied the attendees at Waddo over the years whilst manning a stall or just crowd watching it didn't strike me that many were potential recruits or people that even understood [or were ever going to] what the feck they were looking at. It was teeming with coachloads of silver and blue haired people from the Midlands and South Yorkshire with insufficient sun protection on who spent most of their day queuing for the bogs or a £6 crappy burger whilst having a ciggy on the go. They would look up when something noisy happened and say 'oo ek!' a few times then spark up another snout.

The other attendee was the overweight, greasy haired and badged up to the max social outcast aka the 'aircraft spotter'. The would have a US flying jacket or denim jacket that was covered in badges they had bought or cadged at previous airshows, be 250Ilbs and have reactolite or aviator glasses on...they had apparently spent a whole years wage on a camera lens that could choke a donkey and they hardly talked to anyone except crews manning static displays where they told them how to operate the jet better. They would take pictures of the same jets over and over again then squirrel them away with their 'special' folders on their laptops at home
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Sorry, I just get really narked when the upper echelons of the RAF come out with nonsense statements like this. Airshows are all fine and lovely, if you like that sort of thing, but should be left for the manufacturers to push out - as far as the RAF goes, I don't think the gains justify the effort.

4. I imagine that if the Airshow come up with the goods like they briefed, free tickets to the local residents (aka the trapped at home that weekend) then I may go. Otherwise, no.

I have the same feelings about the Red Arrows as I do for air shows as in 'what's the point of them?'. No doubt someone will say it's all about showing the flag etc etc or that it encourages people to join the RAF but I don't believe that (unless someone has some statistics?). Do their lovely tours of other countries encourage anyone to join up?
    Humanity; another reason I'm not allowed to carry a gun..........

Credible rumour I hear is this may well be a one time event!
    It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjarabbi View Post
    I have the same feelings about the Red Arrows as I do for air shows as in 'what's the point of them?'. No doubt someone will say it's all about showing the flag etc etc or that it encourages people to join the RAF but I don't believe that (unless someone has some statistics?). Do their lovely tours of other countries encourage anyone to join up?

Don't even get me started on the bloody red arrows. We have a massive shortage of pilots to do operational flying, but we can spare almost a dozen (supposedly our best, too) to **** about over cyprus and gib and other places all year, and make pretty smoke lines in the sky??? And (from what I've been told) the money they 'generate' only just covers the cost of running them. Such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    Don't even get me started on the bloody red arrows. We have a massive shortage of pilots to do operational flying, but we can spare almost a dozen (supposedly our best, too) to **** about over cyprus and gib and other places all year, and make pretty smoke lines in the sky??? And (from what I've been told) the money they 'generate' only just covers the cost of running them. Such a waste.
    Especially, and maybe Kryten can confirm this, as BAE pretty much closed down the Hawk line which was a major reason behind supporting the Arrows..selling those items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Witty_Banter View Post
    "Engagement is an essential element of the RAF’s overall development of effective operational capability. It is important because it underpins the future development of the Service by influencing the way the Service is perceived by our own people and by the external world."

What utter bollocks. Airshows do absolutely nothing to enhance operational capability or effectiveness, and the only people who are influenced by an airshow are plane spotters, who by their very nature are already big fans of Air Forces in general. Local area Gen-pop just get ****ed off that their roads are blocked up for a whole weekend, and they can't get out to do their shopping. RAF Manpower and morale suffers because people are forced into supporting these things, even if they have absolutely no interest in them.
    Well done, summed it up in 1 paragraph.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Witty_Banter

"Engagement is an essential element of the RAF’s overall development of effective operational capability. It is important because it underpins the future development of the Service by influencing the way the Service is perceived by our own people and by the external world."

What utter bollocks. Airshows do absolutely nothing to enhance operational capability or effectiveness, and the only people who are influenced by an airshow are plane spotters, who by their very nature are already big fans of Air Forces in general. Local area Gen-pop just get ****ed off that their roads are blocked up for a whole weekend, and they can't get out to do their shopping. RAF Manpower and morale suffers because people are forced into supporting these things, even if they have absolutely no interest in them.

Quote Originally Posted by ktuludays View Post
    Well done, summed it up in 1 paragraph.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Which paragraph out of the two sums it up?
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast