Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Cyprus Help

1. Cyprus Help

Hi Everyone,

We're currently based over in London and we've just found out that there is a pretty good chance that we will be moving to Cyprus Ayia Nikolaos RAF section in June.

I would be coming over as a UKD and just wondering if anyone could give me/us some advice.

* What's the situation with work for a UKD? I currently work in government and am security cleared (not sure if that would give me some advantage)

* Are there any communities that get together after work and do something in the evening?

* What's the general life out there? what do you do in the evenings and weekends to pass time?

* Are the married quarters in one community or are they spread out?

Would jus like general prep info before, he comes home with an assignment order! lol

Appreciate any info that anyone has or where to even get started with all this

Thank you!
    Maria
    x

It's a marmite post since the Army ruined it back in the late 90's. Yes it's Cyprus and yes it's nice and warm but the Army run it and run your life. Luckily I was there before this all came about and the RAF had their own enclave at 33SU but sadly had its heart ripped out by JOINTRY which is obviously ran by the Army...

http://www.gov.uk/guidance/british-f...ikolaos-cyprus
    Old Scopies never die 'Their afterglow just fades away'

3. Quote Originally Posted by Maria14 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

We're currently based over in London and we've just found out that there is a pretty good chance that we will be moving to Cyprus Ayia Nikolaos RAF section in June.

I would be coming over as a UKD and just wondering if anyone could give me/us some advice.

* What's the situation with work for a UKD? I currently work in government and am security cleared (not sure if that would give me some advantage)

* Are there any communities that get together after work and do something in the evening?

* What's the general life out there? what do you do in the evenings and weekends to pass time?

* Are the married quarters in one community or are they spread out?

Would jus like general prep info before, he comes home with an assignment order! lol

Appreciate any info that anyone has or where to even get started with all this

Thank you!
    Maria
    x
    A bit warmer than Angel that's for sure.

* What's the situation with work for a UKD? I currently work in government and am security cleared (not sure if that would give me some advantage) If you're DV then your chances of getting a job will be much better, however jobs do come up in all sorts of admin support roles around the camp.

* Are there any communities that get together after work and do something in the evening? All the usual sorts of clubs, and exercise groups you'd get on a bigger camp but it is all run on a self help basis due to limited numbers.

* What's the general life out there? what do you do in the evenings and weekends to pass time? Social life is very good and summer is a blast, however things quieten down alot during the winter.

* Are the married quarters in one community or are they spread out? All quarters are on camp so no travelling to get to work. 2 different estates (Seaforth and Cape). Seaforth are older with no central heating (which you need in winter) but come with real fires and gas ones. Cape are newer with central heating, both estates have their benefits/drawbacks.

Re comments about Army, yes it is very much an Army camp run by an Army chain of command, can get frustrating at times however it shouldn't be seen as a show stopper for those looking to come here. As with all places it is very much character driven and we get a new RSM soon (the old one was OK and very even in his treatment of the 3 services), what the new one will be like i don't know.

Pretty good

Ay Nik is pretty good in my opinion. There is a lot of army BS to deal with (mainly in the work environment) but by and large it is a nice place to live & work.

In answer to your questions:

- There are a few jobs available on camp, (pass office and movements clerk spring to mind) or around the SBAs but they are far and few between. Those who get them tend to hold onto them for a while. You could also look for work outside the SBAs but i'm afraid that's mainly limited to bartending in places like Protaras if you don't speak Greek.

- There are a few little communities/clubs. Bondu rats is the main one, technically a motorcycle club but very community oriented. There is also the theater club which is always a laugh, and the cinema is good to get involved with if you're looking for something to do. If i recall there was a wine appreciation club but couldn't say if it's still active.

- Generally life is pretty good, you have Famagusta on your doorstep and the tourist areas are only a short hop away which is great in summer; pretty much like being on holiday constantly. As 4eAD said, it does get to quieten down in the winter but there are still a lot of expat places open year-round. Xilinos down in the village is a also a good option for year round drinks/meals out. The expat and forces community are quite connected. Everyone seems to have a bar in their back garden and there are plenty of community events. It's a very small community so it's quite tight-nit.

- 4eAD was pretty much spot on about the housing. I'd go for Cape estate given the choice - the houses are far nicer internally.

On the whole it's a good posting, I'm certainly hoping for a second shot. Norfolkred1 described it as a marmite posting...i'd say that it seems (oddly) to be the singlies who hate it more, while families tend to love it.

Any more questions let me know.

AR
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing...