Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rememberance Sunday

Where are your thoughts today?

Me, A RAF mate who died at only 24, 20+ years ago, A grandfather and father both ex-mil and others are in my thoughts this day.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

I remember both my grandfathers...one was a wireless operator on Lancasters, another was on board HMS Victorious in the Far East.
    Lister: Lister to Red Dwarf, we have in our midst a complete smegpot. Brains in the anal region. Chin, absent presumed missing. Genitalia, small and inoffensive. Of no value or interest whatsoever.
    Commander Binks: Binks to Enlightenment. Evidence of primitive humour. The human displays knowledge of satire and imitation. With patient tuition, could perhaps master simple tasks.
    Lister: Lister to Red Dwarf. Displays evidence of spoiling for a rumble. Seems unable to grasp simple threats. With careful pummeling, could be sucking tomorrow's lunch through a straw.
    Commander Binks: Binks to Enlightenment. The human seems to be under the delusion that he is somehow capable of bestowing physical violence to a hologram.
    Lister: Lister to Red Dwarf. The intruder seems blissfully unaware that we have a fairly sturdy holowhip in the Munitions cabinet. And unless he wants his derriere minced like burger meat, he'd better become history in the next two seconds flat

My grandparents, and also my father-in-law, who passed away earlier this year was a Vulcan/nimrod engineer. Excellent turnout at Stamford today, including 8 veterans on motorcycles.

I spotted a couple of people I know marching at the Cenotaph today.

For me it's a gunner grandfather who luckily survived WW1 despite being very close to the bloodiest sector of Day 1 of the Battle of the Somme and must have seen many horrors. It's the RM uncle who survived most of WW2, including D Day, only to be killed in an ambush in Feb '45 when part of a raiding party in the far east. It's my RM father who spent 4 years in a German POW camp in WW2 to the detriment of his physical and mental health as a consequence of atrocious diet and hard manual labour under constant threats of beatings (or worse) from the guards. Thy did what they had to do for their country; I think myself lucky that despite 23 years in uniform (more than the 3 of them put together), I never had to go through what they did.

6. Great uncle died at thiepval world war 1
    one uncle died in the rear action outside of Dunkirk.
    other uncle dfc on spitfires

mate killed in a rocket attack in Basra airport.

other buddies killed in road crashes

memorys of them always come back this time of year.

The display at Conisbrough Castle this weekend viewed from Coronation Park War Memorial.

It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.