Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The sport of Bridge

So back in the day when you sat in the crewroom at tea break, fag on one side, brew in the other trying to making 4 diamonds with minority trumps you were actually playing a sport. Whilst your mates were over the gym or pounding pavements, or down the range firing an SLR you maintained a healthy sporty body by playing bridge, tabbing and only adding 2 sugars to your brew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-rifle.html
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tin basher View Post
    So back in the day when you sat in the crewroom at tea break, fag on one side, brew in the other trying to making 4 diamonds with minority trumps you were actually playing a sport..............
    I read your post a couple of times and I'm still having a bit of difficulty with this sketch that is rattling round my head -

Nine lineys enter the crew room having just washed and changed out of oily overalls:

"Shall we have a couple of schools?" Nods all round and plaudits for the good idea..
    "Set the tables up".

Out comes the green baze from the locker and the tables are set. They split into two schools of four. They then look at the non-bridge player and tell him to get the brews on. He sullenly goes about his task while the other eight sit at the tables and get dealing, bidding and playing. All very disciplined and jolly.

The WO comes in and is suspiciously surprised that the door to his corner office is not nailed shut to the frame and there is a smell of Brut (that how long ago we're talking about) and freshly shaved airmen fired into deep concentration around two tables.

Back in reality....
    It all started with nothing, then it exploded.

Looks like they may have to change the RAFFT to align with the avionics sports training - should be interesting.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

I can just imagine the old Wednesday afternoon sports sessions, and I remember trying to influence the WO that Fishing was a recognised sport; now we've got a card school...
    "If you had to choose between your wife or winning the lottery, what new car would you pick"?

Late & Tired

I'm going to sue TB if I get lung cancer from the passive smoking I had to endure during his Bridge schools.
    When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion

Back in 1970

Bridge was the only sport where a mixed team played against RAF Gan.

7. This describes early 90's life on a certain winged bomb ex canberra squadron at Wyton. Great intro to the RAF hasn't really felt like work since.

I only had to wait about two years until I was good enough at bridge to join in the 'professional' schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonterseed View Post
    I read your post a couple of times and I'm still having a bit of difficulty with this sketch that is rattling round my head -

Nine lineys enter the crew room having just washed and changed out of oily overalls:

"Shall we have a couple of schools?" Nods all round and plaudits for the good idea..
    "Set the tables up".

Out comes the green baze from the locker and the tables are set. They split into two schools of four. They then look at the non-bridge player and tell him to get the brews on. He sullenly goes about his task while the other eight sit at the tables and get dealing, bidding and playing. All very disciplined and jolly.

The WO comes in and is suspiciously surprised that the door to his corner office is not nailed shut to the frame and there is a smell of Brut (that how long ago we're talking about) and freshly shaved airmen fired into deep concentration around two tables.

Back in reality....

Wash my mouth out -

Bridge a sport? Nah, the OP must be confused with Uckers.
    Retired and lovin' it! Move over Victor Meldrew, I'm getting older & crustier by the day

Quote Originally Posted by Digzster View Post
    Bridge a sport? Nah, the OP must be confused with Uckers.
    No, Bridge is gentile, like golf or Crocquet (sp?).

Uckers is full contact...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Reheat View Post
    I'm going to sue TB if I get lung cancer from the passive smoking I had to endure during his Bridge schools.
    Max, surprisingly I packed the tabs in over 10 years ago
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast