Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Are you a member of the E-Goat Folding team?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I have my computer Folding when ever its turned on

16 29.63%
  • Yes - I only have my computer folding occasionally

3 5.56%
  • I was, but can't be arsed with it any more

4 7.41%
  • No - I have no interest in helping others

3 5.56%
  • I have no idea what you're talking about

28 51.85%
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I'll ask the question that could be bothering some people (incl. me) about this...

Isn't there a bunch of security implications with turning over your computer processing ability to someone (Stamford) else?...Why isn't your comp wide open to being raped for information?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Comms_Lad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    I'll ask the question that could be bothering some people (incl. me) about this...

Isn't there a bunch of security implications with turning over your computer processing ability to someone (Stamford) else?...Why isn't your comp wide open to being raped for information?

Technically yes, but since you most likely run a microsoft operating system it already is open to the whole world so no problems their then lol

This is along the same lines as what SETI(search for extraterrestial intelligence) did a few years back (not sure if its still running), will download later and get it running mate.

What about security issues? We have worked very hard to maintain the best security possible with modern computer science methodology. Our software will upload and download data only from our data server here at Stanford. The Cores are also digitally signed (see below) to make sure that you're getting the true Stanford cores and nothing else.

How is this possible? We take extensive measures to check all of the data entering your computer and the results we send back to Stanford with 2048 bit digital signatures. If the signatures don't match (on either the input or the output) the client will throw away the data and start again. This ensures, using the best software security measures developed to date (digital signatures and PKI in version 3.0), that we are keeping the tightest possible security. Finally, the client/screen saver are available for download only from this web site, so that we can guarantee the integrity of the software. We do not support Folding@home software obtained elsewhere and prohibit others to distribute the software.

I hope this helps........when you think that a lot of systems and companies use 256bit encryption for handling your data (including companies that you pay using Visa with) and this program uses 2048bit it must be a lot more secure.
    Last edited by wobbly; 14-03-2007 at 10:28.
    Cheers

Wobbly
    E-Goat Head Admin

"ACTA NON VERBA"

Forum Etiquette and Rules :: Tech Support :: E-Goat Security :: E-Goat Folding Team ::

Holding the keys to the **** Creek paddle stores
    I'll get on it tonight - Funnily enough a close friends brother is on the team at Stanford

Hu

Grinding on, waiting for my posting date.
    I'll get round to downloading it and crashing the PC tonight. If it affects my framerate when playing FEAR it's coming of though.

I've had a look at the site and the forums and now can't decide whether to join the e-goat team or NERDS FOR JESUS

monobrow Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TrenchardsLoveSock View Post
    I'll get round to downloading it and crashing the PC tonight. If it affects my framerate when playing FEAR it's coming of though.
    you can set how much CPU percentage it uses, from 100% (not wise!) down to 1%. even 1% is helping though whilst you're playing games!!!!

Grinding on, waiting for my posting date.
    Quote Originally Posted by monobrow View Post
    you can set how much CPU percentage it uses, from 100% (not wise!) down to 1%. even 1% is helping though whilst you're playing games!!!!
    I tried reading some of the technobabble, but work keeps getting in the way and now my brain hurts.

Mono, can you set the CPU usage to scale itself depending on what else your CPU is using? I'm trying to teach myself 3D modelling and, although for much of the time it doesn't need too much CPU, the rendering needs pretty much the full whack to run at a sensible speed.
    I'd get p1ssed off changing the folding settings every time.

monobrow Guest
    Has a setting of "minimal" but not tested whether it drops out when you load the cpu doing other things....

I'll give it a shot tonight

Quote Originally Posted by TrenchardsLoveSock View Post
    I tried reading some of the technobabble, but work keeps getting in the way and now my brain hurts.

Mono, can you set the CPU usage to scale itself depending on what else your CPU is using? I'm trying to teach myself 3D modelling and, although for much of the time it doesn't need too much CPU, the rendering needs pretty much the full whack to run at a sensible speed.
    I'd get p1ssed off changing the folding settings every time.
    I've been running folding at home for a few years now and can safely say that it won't interfere with anything you are doing. It only uses the processing power that isn't required by other programs. For example, if you are watching a video on your pc and that needs 15%, folding will only use 85%. It constantly adjusts but never gets in the way.

10. Watch the leckie

Ok, so I admit I havent checked how you can tweak this particular piece of software but many similar programs like this utilize idle processing, ramping your machine upto 100% when the OS has spare capacity.

You actually use more current when your processor is working hard. Your processor is also running hotter which will have a marginal effect on its lifespan.

Security is an issue, but in truth these things are pretty well tested and as someone else has pointed out your OS is likely to have more holes. Several multinationals like IBM often donate processing time on their workstations so if its good enough for big-blue..

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast