Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

751 SU - Mount Alice Stackers

Just under twenty years or so ago I did a tour at 751 SU Mount Alice as the "Stacker from Alice"; at that time there was, in the Stacker's office, a Computer disk (a proper, LP sized, hard disk) bearing the names of all the stackers who had served at Alice. A (very) long shot, I know, but does anyone have a photo of the beast or know what happened to it when they stopped sending stackers up there??

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstacker View Post
    Just under twenty years or so ago I did a tour at 751 SU Mount Alice as the "Stacker from Alice"; at that time there was, in the Stacker's office, a Computer disk (a proper, LP sized, hard disk) bearing the names of all the stackers who had served at Alice. A (very) long shot, I know, but does anyone have a photo of the beast or know what happened to it when they stopped sending stackers up there??
    Hopefully it is still on the wall in the top corridor (2006). I saw it on my last trip down there.

Saying that though, discussions were on the go then ref the new accomm units and the Army had stated that nothing was to be moved into the new accomm when built....even a bar!!!!!!!

To show how sad I am, I think the disc in question was from an old DEC RK07 drive! (I hated setting up the heads on those drives).
    Retired and lovin' it! Move over Victor Meldrew, I'm getting older & crustier by the day

Stackers at Alice

I'm not sure exactly when, but the manning was reduced when I went down as Adj in 2002. No Stacker, no TG5 heavies for the BVs, no Discip and no shift workers.

4. Morning. Came across this thread whilst looking for earlier history of 751SU.
    I was at Alice Aug-Dec 86. Not quite sure when this was but we a hosted couple of civvy workmen doing some general repairs and had a lot of stuff delivered. As the workmen said they would donate unused materials, we decided we should refurbish the Caracara Club. So we spent a whole day making the Club look Tudor-style by adding planks (from broken-up pallets) with bits gouged out to the walls and ceilings; sheets of plasterboard were fixed to the ceiling beforehand. The walls were then painted white and the planks black. Our officers had stayed away until the next day and seemed impressed at how fresh-looking it was.
    To celebrate this enterprise, one of the Techies had recovered an unusable Vernouli(?) disc and then etched the names of all personnel who took part; being brown on top, all names were legible from the silver metal below. This was then attached to a wall in ceremony by the CO.
    The Vernouli disc had come from the computer system running the picture display of the Type 94 radar. The gap between this disc and the reader head was about the size of a molecule of tobacco smoke, so very easily damaged.
    A couple of days later, one of the army Javelin Troop decided his name should be added and made a bad job of it. This was painted over and a box frame constructed to prevent further damage, then it was put back in place.
    I was at Byron in 2000 and went to Alice on a short visit and saw the same disc in it's box in a 'storeroom'.
    I guess some Stacker came up with a similar idea later on.

Incidentally, at that time Alice had about 50 military personnel plus 6 Turners. When I was at Byron, there was less than half that. Technological progress I suppose, or money factors...
    Last edited by Datalink Squirrel; 1 Week Ago at 12:03.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Datalink Squirrel View Post
    Morning. Came across this thread whilst looking for earlier history of 751SU.
    I was at Alice Aug-Dec 86. Not quite sure when this was but we a hosted couple of civvy workmen doing some general repairs and had a lot of stuff delivered. As the workmen said they would donate unused materials, we decided we should refurbish the Caracara Club. So we spent a whole day making the Club look Tudor-style by adding planks (from broken-up pallets) with bits gouged out to the walls and ceilings; sheets of plasterboard were fixed to the ceiling beforehand. The walls were then painted white and the planks black. Our officers had stayed away until the next day and seemed impressed at how fresh-looking it was.
    To celebrate this enterprise, one of the Techies had recovered an unusable Vernouli(?) disc and then etched the names of all personnel who took part; being brown on top, all names were legible from the silver metal below. This was then attached to a wall in ceremony by the CO.
    The Vernouli disc had come from the computer system running the picture display of the Type 94 radar. The gap between this disc and the reader head was about the size of a molecule of tobacco smoke, so very easily damaged.
    A couple of days later, one of the army Javelin Troop decided his name should be added and made a bad job of it. This was painted over and a box frame constructed to prevent further damage, then it was put back in place.
    I was at Byron in 2000 and went to Alice on a short visit and saw the same disc in it's box in a 'storeroom'.
    I guess some Stacker came up with a similar idea later on.

Incidentally, at that time Alice had about 50 military personnel plus 6 Turners. When I was at Byron, there was less than half that. Technological progress I suppose, or money factors...
    I was at Byron Heights in 2000. I didn't realise there were so many more people at Alice - I never got to visit Alice btw.

The tudor CaraCara club was still there in '93 when i was there but i don't remember the disc recording the decorators. At that time the total strength at Alice was around 35 inc 5 Turners. IIRC the make up was OC, SOpsO, JOpsO, EngO, C/T Eng, 4 Sgts (1 each Scopie, Eng, Adj & Royal Signals) a Cpl Stacker, Heavy Eng, Grnd Leckie, Doc & Admin, 3 Chefs, 2 -3 Saints & the rest were all either scopies or techies.

Happy days though......