Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Halfords Trade Card

Hi all,

This only applies to serving personnel with Engineering/Mechanical qualifications I'm afraid...

Just recently collected my Halfords trade card which gives huge discounts on spares. It can only be used for motor spares and the like so no discounts at Bike Hut.

As an example, I bought 5 litres of Brake Fluid for the price of one litre!

To get your card, just head off to your local store and present your ID and a certificate proving your qualifications. (I used my Fitters course certificate). They'll take a few details and give you a nice shiney trade card in return.

Hope that's of use to a few.

Cheers.
    Peter Griffin: I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about.

They'll give it to anyone in the forces. Don't need to be a techie. I know for a fact that you can get a trade card by just showing your id in the Swindon and Swansea branches.

Halfords trade cards are a useful bit of kit and they have been pushed hard by our local store rep to big groups of staff here. Seems halfords are trying to up their share of the motor factors market by encouraging you to go there instead of your local spares stockist. I used mine for a packet of car bulbs 2.79p with the card 59p, also good for consumables and tools socket sets and such like. Just makes you wonder what the usual mark up is on things.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

4. Quote Originally Posted by sausage2 View Post
    They'll give it to anyone in the forces. Don't need to be a techie. I know for a fact that you can get a trade card by just showing your id in the Swindon and Swansea branches.
    I've heard mixed messages about this. I know when I got mine, they wanted to see the certificate.

I actually originally enquired at my local store and was told I'd need certificate and ID. When I got the card, it was at a different store but they wanted the same documentation.

From Halfords' site:

"RAF or Aviation Engineers".

Linky

If you can get it with just ID, all the better. I suppose you can always try.
    Peter Griffin: I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about.

5. Halfords in Telford were just handing them out to anyone who pitched up and showed their ID at one time. Now they are demanding to see proof of qualifications.
    This is not my sig, it was like this when I got here.

They needed to see my GTM certificate to prove I'd been lobotomised into the MT Tech world, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could swing it just with an ID. Nothing is sacred, first the wages and now the techie perks fall one by one to the non tech trades. Cynical....me......no way man! LOL

In seriousness though, well worth it if you can get one. Just bought a new Battery for my Ford ranger....Normal price: 110, with card: 74 Bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Is-Good View Post
    I've heard mixed messages about this. I know when I got mine, they wanted to see the certificate.

I actually originally enquired at my local store and was told I'd need certificate and ID. When I got the card, it was at a different store but they wanted the same documentation.

From Halfords' site:

"RAF or Aviation Engineers".

Linky

If you can get it with just ID, all the better. I suppose you can always try.
    Had to giggle when I checked out the exact text for RAF entitlement "CAA Certificate or airside engineering pass or Aircraft Engineering Maintenance Licence"
    Where does that actually entitle GTM/MTT to qualify for a Card?

Quote Originally Posted by propersplitbrainme View Post
    Halfords in Telford were just handing them out to anyone who pitched up and showed their ID at one time. Now they are demanding to see proof of qualifications.
    I guess it depends upon who you ask in the store. I went and got mine from Telford just before crimbo, the bloke behind the desk asked if I had ID, then didn't even ask to see it!

He asked what I did in the RAF and where I was based, but again he didn't ask for proof.

Maybe it was because I asked him whilst they were obviously busy!

HTB
    When you go out looking for revenge... dig two graves.

grumpyoldb Guest
    If it's anything like my local halfrauds they're desperate to get anyone through the door. Like a ghost town in there.

Chippenham asked to see my quals, when I took in my blue folder with them in the guy behind the counter realised I wasn't bull****ting then started asking me questions about being a loadie (?)

Telford gave me one on my ID card a few years ago - problem is the dog decided to taste it shortly afterwards.

Does anyone know what the discount is - it seems totally random to me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast