Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.


Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1

    Bloody bank charges

    Are you p*ssed off with being charged 30 quid because the bank paid a DD a couple of hours before your wages went in.
    Check out these websites
    http://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk/
    http://www.govanlc.com/england&wales_courtaction.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pembrokeshire, West Wales
    Posts
    790
    These sites are really useful. I recently complained to my bank (Natwest) about charges and was credited them back. It seems that the money grabbing ba**ards have had their day and its time for us mere mortals to fight back. You now have the law on YOUR side at last, I was told this info by my accountant (I'm self employed) and I believe that this countrys financial institutions are now literally quaking in their boots and keeping very quiet on this matter, who can blame them, but this in reality means that they are going to have to pay back £millions. Serves them right!!!

  3. #3
    Beerofund Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fogducker
    Are you p*ssed off with being charged 30 quid because the bank paid a DD a couple of hours before your wages went in.
    Check out these websites
    http://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk/
    http://www.govanlc.com/england&wales_courtaction.html
    At least you were paid - unlike several thousand who didn't!!! lol

  4. #4
    The Masked Geek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyZ
    It seems that the money grabbing ba**ards have had their day and its time for us mere mortals to fight back. You now have the law on YOUR side at last, I was told this info by my accountant
    The trouble with this is that now the banks know we are on to them, they will start charging for their services to cover the losses; some already are.

    The only people who gain from this are those who can't manage their money. I have never had a bank charge for missed/late/bounced payment and I am well p1ssed off that I will have to cough up extra dough to pay for a service just because some cretin can't sort his/her finances out.

    To conclude, well done for getting your money back but thanks a lot for increasing my outgoings.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pembrokeshire, West Wales
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by The Masked Geek
    The trouble with this is that now the banks know we are on to them, they will start charging for their services to cover the losses; some already are.

    The only people who gain from this are those who can't manage their money. I have never had a bank charge for missed/late/bounced payment and I am well p1ssed off that I will have to cough up extra dough to pay for a service just because some cretin can't sort his/her finances out.

    To conclude, well done for getting your money back but thanks a lot for increasing my outgoings.
    I see your point but, I am led to believe that they are not allowed to increase charges and most banks now offer "free" banking, in an ever increasing competetive market, to those who stay in credit therefore, you should not have to pay more. If you do get charged complain to your bank or better still to the regulators who are keeping a steady eye on the banks at this time.

  6. #6
    I dont see how you can blame me for this, surely the blame should lie on the banks for overcharging and the OFT for bringing to light these overcharges.
    I am merely informing those who have been charged the fact that they can recoup some of this money, especially for those who have been f**cked about with JPA.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sharing a home with seagulls
    Posts
    34
    Not really to do with bank charges....

    I had my card swallowed by a machine the other week after it crashed while I was using it. Put a downer on my trip to the pub it did. Went to the offending bank the next day and they informed me that they had my card behind the counter but would not give it back. Policy apparently!

    So through no fault of my own I had no access to my cash without first phoning my bank and then making a trip to the local branch to get the cash from a cashier type person. Bit of a bind when its miles away due to cost saving closures.

    My point from all this though is the banks use and abuse their customers. They make mistakes and we pay for it, then hide behind policy to justify it.

    And another thing: watch out for the Alliance and Leicester. I've noticed that although the machine says my wages have cleared and available, it still deducts a cash withdrawal before adding my wages. Put me £250 overdrawn they did.

    A good rant about it makes me feel better though!
    We're computer-locked, and the manual navigational system is down.

  8. #8
    Been with first direct for 6 years now and never had one problem with them. Recently when on Det the missus used the wrong card for the shopping and it sent the joint account over the agreed limit. I was charged 60 quid in all because i didnt realise the error until I got home on R&R (As I do all the internet banking for us) Phoned them up and explained and a full refund was given. They are a great bank in my opinion.
    'Fiat Justitia'

    Please consider supporting the E-Goat and its chosen charity by subscribing for the lowly sum of 5 pounds a year

    To subscribe go to http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/payments.php

    You can also make a one off donation using the green donate button on the top menu

  9. #9
    Notsoblunt Guest

    Top tip for overseas ATM withdrawals

    Perhaps I should have put this in the Top Tips thread, but it seems appropriate to mention it here.........

    Fed up of being charged for making withdrawals from ATM machines abroad? - then get yourself a Nationwide account. You will not be charged anything by Nationwide for using your card to withdraw cash - from any ATM, anywhere in the world.

    As most other banks charge at least £1.50 a go, this has saved Mrs Notsoblunt and myself a small fortune over the years!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pembrokeshire, West Wales
    Posts
    790
    Lots of advice and standard letters over at the Bank action group at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

    Some people there are claiming back '000s.....and winning!!

 

 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top