Announcement

Collapse

SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND E-GOAT DOWNTIME

E-Goat will be go down occasionally for more upgrades and updates.

There's still a lot to do but we have taken the leap and going for Goat!
See more
See less

St Athan to be a Civvy Airfield by 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Athan to be a Civvy Airfield by 2019

Perhaps sensible but still sad to see yet another go.

The Welsh Government plans to turn RAF St Athan into a civilian airfield but already stands accused by a Tory MP of messing the project up.

The RAF is due to hand over operational control of the airfield to private contractors Serco in December, when it will operate seven days a week from 9am to 5pm.

But Conservative MP David Davies says a letter he has received from a UK Government Minister suggests all is not well at St Athan, which forms part of the St Athan-Cardiff Airport Enterprise Zone.
    Had a good few months there myself although it never felt terribly military even then...too many civvies wandering around in dust coats speaking funny...
    sigpic

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Originally posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
    Perhaps sensible but still sad to see yet another go.

Had a good few months there myself although it never felt terribly military even then...too many civvies wandering around in dust coats speaking funny...
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...ilian-7968350?
    sigpic

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Comment

So where does that leave basing of the P8s? Wasn't St Athan on the potential short list?

Comment

Serco.
        Mits in just about everything now, must be in the `too big to (allow to) fail` now.
        Never heard anything good about `em.

If anyone wants me, i`ll be here

Comment

They can flatten Saints and turn it into a nuclear waste dumping ground as far as I'm concerned!

I hated the place, although Thursday nights down one of the pubs there wasn't too bad. Can't remember the name, but "Janet the Planet" used to prowl the disco area there.

Comment

I'm not sad about planes going out of service, but a centre of RAF engineering excellence like that being just binned is a bloody crime against everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Talk Wrench View Post
              They can flatten Saints and turn it into a nuclear waste dumping ground as far as I'm concerned! I hated the place.
              Same here worst tour and 5 years of my life I can never have back.

If it does open as a civvy airfield what impact could that have on stuff going on at Rhoose? Will saints evolve into some sort of Cardiff airport light.
              Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Comment

The WA has plans to change Cardiff Airport into a full on inernational... only limiting factor their is the hill its on, whuch will make Runway extension difficult.

They want Saint Athan as a BizJet and GA airfield. Thing is I just don't think there is enough actual traffic to sustain two airports, especially in such close proximity.
                sigpic

Comment

Well it wont be the first time a plane has mistaken Saints for Cardiff! Unfortunatly the WA are a bunch of greedy gets and charging each MOD section stupid money to stay at St Athan, hence 71Sqn moved out, they cut their own noses off. I doubt they would expand flying into St Athan, its more set up to be an aircraft maintenance hub with that white elephant of a hangar.
                  Good food, good accomodation and good pay are the 3 pillars for keeping people happy in the RAF (WO Catering, Inside Brize Norton, Thursday 19th Dec 2013) roll on the day that ever happens.........

Comment

Originally posted by Talk Wrench View Post
                    They can flatten Saints and turn it into a nuclear waste dumping ground as far as I'm concerned!

I hated the place, although Thursday nights down one of the pubs there wasn't too bad. Can't remember the name, but "Janet the Planet" used to prowl the disco area there.
                    Ahh you'll learn to love it; I can't remember even pulling on a rubber face in the 2 tours there... that's worth it alone. Lots of engineering and very little greeny nonsense.

Comment

My badminton skills increased exponentially whilst there...right next to East camp gym on EROS and no-one to care where I was most of the time!
                      sigpic

Comment

EDF(W), the place to be.
                        2 little fully autonomous portacabins, 9-4 Mon-Fri, with Friday half day from 12:30.... out the gates, turn right and drive to the pub.
                        Managed a 12-month tour there and enjoyed it, good mix of Civ and blues.
                        "If you had to choose between your wife or winning the lottery, what new car would you pick"?

Late & Tired

Comment

Twas the arsehole of the world when i was there, would have happily seen it cut out of the landscape and sunk at sea.

Comment

mid 80s,how to you tell perm staff at st athan?easy they are the ones always carrying a waterproof coat

Comment

5 years hard labour in the twin peaks was crap, big end was ok and Cardiff was a good night out. The RAF should have kept hold of it and transferred Cosford there before it all got too political. Maybe we wouldnt be so in bed and inbred with BAE telling the RAF how to fix their jets.
                              Good food, good accomodation and good pay are the 3 pillars for keeping people happy in the RAF (WO Catering, Inside Brize Norton, Thursday 19th Dec 2013) roll on the day that ever happens.........

Comment

Working...
                              X