Gate Guardian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Guardian

Just read the thread about the Wittering gate guardian and it got me thinking about the Lancaster that was parked up at Scampton - is it still there?
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

I'm sure it was just about here last time I was at Scampers:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...247.83,,0,8.67

...however the last time I was there was in 1984

sigpic

No longer a Holder of The Shilling.
    "I have... seen things you people wouldn't believe..."

Comment

I doubt it, and google maps doesn't show it being visible. Most if not all the really historic gate guardians have been removed from their external sites a long time ago. Seeing the Lancaster is one with not many airframes left and the RAF never owned it anyway when it was at Scamptons gate..

Google does help.

It went to East Kirby in 1987..

Comment

Weird that seeing as I was only on about that to the Missus yesterday on the way to my dads up the road from Scampton.

I remember it getting removed from the gate when I was learning to swim up there in primary school.(I'm now approaching 35!!)

I was sure whether it was Just Jane at EK or S for Sugar on show at Hendon though.

I was a bit gutted when I drove past and noticed the old swimming pool had been levelled

Comment

It's down at East Kirby. The Panton brothers had loaned it to Scampton and it was removed sometime between 1987 and 1991 by crash and smash for transportation to the museum.

Somewhere I have a series of photographs taken as it was dismantled. If memory serves well it was NX611.

Comment

Divvy. I just spotted ILLKCs link

Comment

Aircraft is called 'Just Jane' and is in a taxiable condition (normal runs will get the aircraft up to a tail wheel off the ground speed). The public can book rides on the taxi days, but the waiting list is very long.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MAINJAFAD View Post
                Aircraft is called 'Just Jane' and is in a taxiable condition (normal runs will get the aircraft up to a tail wheel off the ground speed). The public can book rides on the taxi days, but the waiting list is very long.
                Didn't I hear somewhere that they were considering making 'Just Jane' the third flying Lancaster in the world?

I seem to remember reading an interview with the owners where they said it would cost a fortune and take a long time... but that they may consider it!

HTB
                When you go out looking for revenge... dig two graves.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry B'Stard View Post
                  Didn't I hear somewhere that they were considering making 'Just Jane' the third flying Lancaster in the world?

I seem to remember reading an interview with the owners where they said it would cost a fortune and take a long time... but that they may consider it!

HTB
                  Yep, that rumuor was kicking around, and had something to do with a film remake by one Peter Jackson (though they would have to put a standard FN turret on the back, as Jane has the .50 twin mount Rose one, plus remove the H2S radome, Mid upper turret, bomb bay doors and add some bits like a large green rotating depth charge, plus release gear.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes the Lancaster which was on Scamptons gate was NX611 or just jane as she has been named now owned by the painton brothers at east Kirby the aircraft is preserved in a taxiable condition something that they do regually at the airfield . Last news I read in Flypast was that they are investigating the possibilty of returning the aircraft to flying condition but it will be in the long term if they do decide to do it .

Comment

Scampton Gate Guard

It was removed in 1988 as far as I remember and the area it was on became a car park and chicane system for entry through the main gate. Or how to cause mayhem each morning searching cars.

Comment

Originally posted by jango1969 View Post
                        It was removed in 1988 as far as I remember and the area it was on became a car park and chicane system for entry through the main gate. Or how to cause mayhem each morning searching cars.
                        Not a problem, I've shown ID 4 times in as many months to the MPGS - so there's no danger of them searching cars anytime soon. Security is apparently a dirty word!

Comment

I remember it being put there. Can't remember what year but I was at Scampton from 1973 to 1979.
                          It just came off in me hand Chief!

Comment

Working...
                          X