RAF Notholt to close in 2018 for runway renovation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Notholt to close in 2018 for runway renovation

RAF Northolt, the fourth-largest airport in the London area for business aviation traffic, is to close temporarily in early 2018 for runway renovation.

The UK Ministry of Defence-run site – home to the Royal Air Force’s VIP transport-dedicated 32 Sqn – is a popular destination for business aircraft operators because of its location around 12 miles (20km) from the UK capital.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...vation-435667/

Interesting they are putting an arrestor system in there as well... are they planning on Typhoons being based there more frequently you think?
    sigpic

Renovation work will also include the installation of an engineered materials arrestor system at the end of the almost 1,690m (5,530ft)-long runway, to safely stop an aircraft overrun.
    I read that to mean that stuff like air filled soft concrete on the over runs.
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Barch View Post
      I read that to mean that stuff like air filled soft concrete on the over runs.
      now I re-read it - so do I.
      sigpic

Comment

Re-paving the runway? Do you think that it has been overused in the past few years?

No doubt just like most other ex-camps, as soon as major work (and expense) is done, it will be closed and sold off.
        Retired and lovin' it! Move over Victor Meldrew, I'm getting older & crustier by the day

Comment

Working...
        X