Internet Access at MPA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Access at MPA

Have there been any improvements since '07 when I was last down there? Have they finally got WiFi in the accommodation or do you still have to queue for Area 51 or whatever it was called?

When i was down there dec 09- apr 10 it was fine, occasionally they would have issues which at worst lasted a week. The bad news is that the once excellent wifi welfare card started lasting hardly anytime at all, you could buy a 10 phone/wifi card from the 12fy reception for 8(not a typo) if you need extra time.

Depending on where you are, get the camp local number for your unit and get the operator to put your missus/partner etc through.

Oh of you are on o2 and have free texts 1 text from MPA = 4 UK texts.
    CodeMonkey Technical Services - How may we injure you today!

Don't anthropormorphise computers, they don't like it!!!!

Occam's Razor says that the simplest answer tends to be the correct one. Norris' Razor involves a flick of the wrist and a Columbian Necktie.

CodeMonkey, the only man Chuck Norris is afraid of
    sigpic

Comment

I got back a few weeks ago and J6 were installing wifi antennas to all accommodation areas. I know it is in the Sgts and officers parts but unsure whether they have competely installed in the JR living areas.

As Codemonkey said, you get a 100 minute wifi card, I never actually timed how long I got but don't think it was anywhere near that long!

Area 51 is still there and is not as widely used nowadays, could be the reduction in personnel there!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. At least there has been some improvement. Still narked at the fact that I will have to pay to use it though...hrumph! OWP anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Norman the Storeman View Post
          Thanks for the info guys. At least there has been some improvement. Still narked at the fact that I will have to pay to use it though...hrumph! OWP anyone?
          As far as i'm aware you will still get a welfare card for a 4 monther 1 per week either wifi or phone
          CodeMonkey Technical Services - How may we injure you today!

Don't anthropormorphise computers, they don't like it!!!!

Occam's Razor says that the simplest answer tends to be the correct one. Norris' Razor involves a flick of the wrist and a Columbian Necktie.

CodeMonkey, the only man Chuck Norris is afraid of
          sigpic

Comment

Is this still the case gents? Looks like I'm off there in October and I'd like to know what us erks get in the way of interweb access - after all, I've got to keep the e-goat fantasy premier league in order!!! even though I'm incredibly mid table AGAIN......

In this day and age I'm pretty disgusted that we have to pay for the 'net. Still, not surprised.....

Comment

The 100 minute card gives you around 90 minutes on Skype or the full hour if you are just browsing the net.

TBH, it's a complete rip off. We get either:

a. 30 phone card
              b. 100 minute WiFi card.

You can buy a 100 minute WiFi card for 10 at 12 FAC so the "welfare" WiFi card should be at least 300 minutes......

WiFi is available in the SNCO and Officers' messes and most of the JR accom but some areas down there are still dead.

Comment

Working...
              X