Happy Birthday Lossiemouth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Lossiemouth

RAF Lossiemouth has celebrated 75 years of service both as an air force station and a Royal Navy base.

The station officially opened on 1 May, 1939, with the war years proving to be a turbulent beginning to its history.

The core unit throughout this period was 20 Operational Training Unit (OUT).

In partnership with the legendary Vickers Wellington aircraft, the OTU trained thousands of aircrew for front line operational squadrons above the fields of Lossiemouth.

In addition, many operational raids were launched from RAF Lossiemouth, including the sinking of the German battleship Tirpitz and participation in the thousand Bomber raids over Germany.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotlan...sary-1-3396053
    sigpic

I spent a wee while there on VASS then came back to hold on VASS prior to AAITC...I actually enjoyed it more than ISK!
    sigpic

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Comment

I see that the Hootsmon repeats word for word the inaccuracies of the RAF web and fb pages. RAF buccs arrived in 1990 indeed

Comment

I was never stationed there, but did plenty of detachments there my first being when it was RNAS I was with No 12(B) Sqdn Buccs, My last detachment was in the late 80's with No 3(F) "Arriers" GR3

Comment

Working...
        X