Wireless Broadband at Leeming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Broadband at Leeming

I'm posted to Leeming soon, and was considering getting a Wireless Broadband dongle (if there is no phone line in the block) on arrival, as I'll need internet on my laptop for distance learning.

I've had a look at all the main providers coverage maps, and only Virgin seem to have "good" coverage, and all the other have none or "poor". Does anyone at Leeming use said device and if so, could you recommend a provider?

Also my mobile is with o2 and their mobile coverage is "poor", can anyone vouch for this, as if I change contract, I'd like an idea of the best coverage.

Many thanks goaters.

There is WI-FI in all the blocks now.

Comment

They've just installed BTOpenzone on the unit, you can subscribe to that for about 15 a month. I connect through my BTFone account for nowt.

Congrats by the way.
      They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare, reading E-Goat has proved this is NOT the case...

Comment

Thanks Tubby and MC. That saves a ton of hassle.

Any idea what the ping, down and up speeds are (roughly)?

MC, you connect through BTFon, is that in quarters on camp or in the hanger? Is the range quite large?

Thanks again.

Comment

The Wi-Fi is only available in the blocks, however you might be lucky an get a sniff of signal round quarters. Speeds aint that bad. typical wi-fi though, time of day will vary the speed you get.

Comment

Originally posted by PVRisthefuture View Post
            Thanks Tubby and MC. That saves a ton of hassle.

Any idea what the ping, down and up speeds are (roughly)?

MC, you connect through BTFon, is that in quarters on camp or in the hanger? Is the range quite large?

Thanks again.
            I'm in the old folks home mate, but it's been installed in the blocks as well. Haven't bothered monitoring speeds, no different to being at home (2M)
            They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare, reading E-Goat has proved this is NOT the case...

Comment

Can you get broadband in quarters?

Comment

Only if you are very lucky. I lived on the spinney and could not get broadband but my neighbour could. Ended up with a 3 Dongle which sufficed until my kids got their laptops out and wanted wi-fi. Unlucky kids!!

Comment

Moving to the old folks home this week. Is this info still valid? Any signs of broadband lines to the blocks/mess? I will sign up for Openzone if that's the only option but I don't want to commit to a long term contract (18mths) if other options are possible.

Cheers in advance!

Comment

I think you can have BT Openzone on a one month rolling contract, so not a bad deal. Or do what I did and ask mates/family if you can use their BT username/password :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X