E-Goat will be go down occasionally for more upgrades and updates.

There's still a lot to do but we have taken the leap and going for Goat!
See more
See less

PART 66 (Licences)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PART 66 (Licences)

    Can you hold a licence in the Ar5e Farce?

    Is it worth the bother?

    What is the cost?

    Where can you do it?

    Regards VD!

    Verbage, I have been looking into this with a view to getting out and as far as I can find out you can hold a licence in the mob but it is difficult because of the amount of experience you need on civillian aircraft to gain and maintain the licence ( I think if you are on 101 you would be fine).
    You can do all modules and exams through correspondance while in the RAF from places such as (expensive) ( not so expensive)

    or Kingston university do a course too where you also gain a degree for your troubles, sorry I don`t have a link.
    You can do all the exams but until you have correct amount of civillian experience you cannot apply for the licence. (Unfortunately being in the airforce accounts for virtualy nothing in the eyes of the CAA but manages to waive about 1-2 years of experience needed !).
    Have a look at this link for latest standards :

    Unless you can buy some used course notes it can get expensive ( just look at`s prices scary !). However looking at my course notes they are very similar to fittters course notes, in some cases easier. There are also full time courses but if you have done a fitters course you will be incredibly bored for 2 years ! and means leaving the RAF too although some colleges do give you placings in industry for work experience.

    If you want a career in the aircraft industry when you leave the mob it is definately worth the bother to get your licence although it is not essential, it depends on how much you want to earn . A lot of employers want type rated licensed engineers with a certain ammount of experience so it is almost inevitable you will have to work as a mechanic in civvy street at first although I could be wrong as everybody seems to have a different take on this.
    Check out and for good gen from the guys in the industry.

    This advice should not be taken as gospel as things change quickly but I think it is close enough.

    Good luck

    Regards Ian
    Well it beats working for a living.


      You can hold a full 66 ticket in the mob - but you will need to complete a years working on civvy a/c before you can use it, even then you will need type courses and company approval to sign off a/c.

      All the links/companys suggested by Kwaka are good, I would add LRTT at Cwmbran - they will set courses and exams at RAF Stations if enough interest is shown and you can use Ed allowance and ELCAS credits with them - the A license is somewhat halfway house to a full B1 or B2 but a good starting point.

      I made the leap 18 months ago, but I had the CAA A & C long before leaving and have upgraded that to a B1 this year. It is not a bad life with the pension but there are easier ways to make 20 - 30K a year which is about what you could make if you are not licensed.

      If you need any notes or gen - feel free to PM me, and good luck!


        Part 66 Licenece - Not for RAF use.

        Couple of points.

        You can take and pass all the exams required to gain a B1 or B2 licence. However you must complete the appropriate form to apply for you licenece. However this form is geared up for use within the civilian system and requires to be signed by the company Quaility Manager. He is a approved by the CAA. If however you do not work for a EASA(CAA) approved company then there is a way around this and that requires the signature of a approved liceneced engineer. Also you must have a logbook detailing your experience. This must also be countersigned by an approved / authorised engineer.

        As the RAF does not come under the CAA it would be most unlikly that you could get the paperwork countersigned to the satisfaction of the CAA. Also the CAA are not flexible and unless you meet what they want they will just reject you application. It is very hard to find out from them why it was rejected. They will nomally say read info on web site. Remember CAA = Campaign Against Aviation.

        Also if you do get you B1 or B2 licence it will be frozen (ie can be used) until you have worked for an approved organisation for one year. Working on VC10s or Tristars in the RAF does not count.

        Civil aircraft are now maintained under European Law and the change over is still in progress. If you want to obtain a Civil Aircraft Maintenace Licenece make sure you have the latest info. Keep upto date by visiting the CAA and EASA websites.

        Good luck.

        Remember there are plenty of us who have made the move to civil aircraft who are willing to help with any questions / advice, so post away...


          Refer to easa66.a.30 sect 5 (D&E) this details all the requirements for part 66 Licensing.


            "Also if you do get you B1 or B2 licence it will be frozen (ie can be used) until you have worked for an approved organisation for one year. Working on VC10s or Tristars in the RAF does not count."

            Added to the above:

            Even work recorded against military Tristars/Hercs/Pumas/146's, etc, will not be accepted as "Experience" towards your Licence application, as these are not maintained to an EASA/CAA approved maintenance program, by an EASA Part-145 Maintenance Organisation.
            However; maintenance organisations will probably employ you on such experience (but it still won't count against your licence application).
            ...looked alright to me!