Announcement

Collapse

SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND E-GOAT DOWNTIME

E-Goat will be go down occasionally for more upgrades and updates.

There's still a lot to do but we have taken the leap and going for Goat!
See more
See less

Halfords Trade Card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halfords Trade Card

Hi all,

This only applies to serving personnel with Engineering/Mechanical qualifications I'm afraid...

Just recently collected my Halfords trade card which gives huge discounts on spares. It can only be used for motor spares and the like so no discounts at Bike Hut.

As an example, I bought 5 litres of Brake Fluid for the price of one litre!

To get your card, just head off to your local store and present your ID and a certificate proving your qualifications. (I used my Fitters course certificate). They'll take a few details and give you a nice shiney trade card in return.

Hope that's of use to a few.

Cheers.
    Peter Griffin: I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about.

They'll give it to anyone in the forces. Don't need to be a techie. I know for a fact that you can get a trade card by just showing your id in the Swindon and Swansea branches.
    Get your problems solved here
    Buy a sausage2 tshirt here

Comment

Halfords trade cards are a useful bit of kit and they have been pushed hard by our local store rep to big groups of staff here. Seems halfords are trying to up their share of the motor factors market by encouraging you to go there instead of your local spares stockist. I used mine for a packet of car bulbs 2.79p with the card 59p, also good for consumables and tools socket sets and such like. Just makes you wonder what the usual mark up is on things.
      Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Comment

Originally posted by sausage2 View Post
        They'll give it to anyone in the forces. Don't need to be a techie. I know for a fact that you can get a trade card by just showing your id in the Swindon and Swansea branches.
        I've heard mixed messages about this. I know when I got mine, they wanted to see the certificate.

I actually originally enquired at my local store and was told I'd need certificate and ID. When I got the card, it was at a different store but they wanted the same documentation.

From Halfords' site:

"RAF or Aviation Engineers".

Linky

If you can get it with just ID, all the better. I suppose you can always try.
        Peter Griffin: I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Halfords in Telford were just handing them out to anyone who pitched up and showed their ID at one time. Now they are demanding to see proof of qualifications.
          This is not my sig, it was like this when I got here.

Comment

They needed to see my GTM certificate to prove I'd been lobotomised into the MT Tech world, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could swing it just with an ID. Nothing is sacred, first the wages and now the techie perks fall one by one to the non tech trades. Cynical....me......no way man! LOL

In seriousness though, well worth it if you can get one. Just bought a new Battery for my Ford ranger....Normal price: 110, with card: 74 Bargain

Comment

Originally posted by Life-Is-Good View Post
              I've heard mixed messages about this. I know when I got mine, they wanted to see the certificate.

I actually originally enquired at my local store and was told I'd need certificate and ID. When I got the card, it was at a different store but they wanted the same documentation.

From Halfords' site:

"RAF or Aviation Engineers".

Linky

If you can get it with just ID, all the better. I suppose you can always try.
              Had to giggle when I checked out the exact text for RAF entitlement "CAA Certificate or airside engineering pass or Aircraft Engineering Maintenance Licence"
              Where does that actually entitle GTM/MTT to qualify for a Card?

Comment

Originally posted by propersplitbrainme View Post
                Halfords in Telford were just handing them out to anyone who pitched up and showed their ID at one time. Now they are demanding to see proof of qualifications.
                I guess it depends upon who you ask in the store. I went and got mine from Telford just before crimbo, the bloke behind the desk asked if I had ID, then didn't even ask to see it!

He asked what I did in the RAF and where I was based, but again he didn't ask for proof.

Maybe it was because I asked him whilst they were obviously busy!

HTB
                When you go out looking for revenge... dig two graves.

Comment

If it's anything like my local halfrauds they're desperate to get anyone through the door. Like a ghost town in there.

Comment

Chippenham asked to see my quals, when I took in my blue folder with them in the guy behind the counter realised I wasn't bull****ting then started asking me questions about being a loadie (?)

Telford gave me one on my ID card a few years ago - problem is the dog decided to taste it shortly afterwards.

Does anyone know what the discount is - it seems totally random to me!

Comment

I got one using my Union Card (ALAE) years ago.

I've never worked out the discount rates either, but as its good most of the time I dont wory about the odd time it seems quite less than others.

I haven't tried to buy tools though.
                      ...looked alright to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Rigga View Post
                        I got one using my Union Card (ALAE) years ago.

I've never worked out the discount rates either, but as its good most of the time I dont wory about the odd time it seems quite less than others.

I haven't tried to buy tools though.
                        I chatted to the fella behind the counter about what the discount was. It made perfect logical sense when he explained. When buying QUALIFYING items on a trade card they simply charge cost price plus a standard markup (which he didn't know). Hence somethings attract a larger 'discount' than others. If they get it cheap then you get it cheap. Simples. Makes real sense to me. Hope that helps

Comment

I'm not an Engineer and I got a Trade Card over 3 years ago in Halfords on Tritton Road in Lincoln. Just presented ID card.

Comment

Went to one of the 3 Halfords in Southampton on Sat and showed them my ID and my HNC in Mech Eng....He said I couldn't have one cos I didn't have the relevant qualifications for getting one as a member of the RAF.......This is were I spat the dummy.

As a member of the RAF the only certificate they would recognise was a CAA licence or an airside certificate....FFS

I said so its ok that a motor mechanic with an NVQ can get one because he could change a widscreen wiper but I couldn't with an HNC and 26 years working on multi million quid jets....Rules are rules he said . With this I left and want to another Halfords and got one no probs at all.

SCJ
                            Last edited by SORRY CJ; 09-01-2011, 22:53.

Comment

I went into Truro (Cornwall) Halfords and asked for the card. I only had an ID card and they insisted on a fitters certification. Not a problem, but it's under a heap of crap in the garage. Sounds ok when I eventually find it though!
                              Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
                              However, of all available utensils there could possibly be to use to eat rice,
                              how on earth did 2 sticks win?

Comment

Working...
                              X