Announcement

Collapse

SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND E-GOAT DOWNTIME

E-Goat will be go down occasionally for more upgrades and updates.

There's still a lot to do but we have taken the leap and going for Goat!
See more
See less

Has any serving person successfully opted out of the officer or sgts mess?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has any serving person successfully opted out of the officer or sgts mess?

Just an hypothetical question, has anyone successful left a mess? If so what process did you use?
    I believe it is in QRís but can you legally be forced to pay in to a club that you donít wish to be in?
    Thank you for your help.

The standard reply back in the day was, if you do not wish to be a mess member simply refuse the promotion that would get you in there. No promotion, no mess bills, no problems. On a more serious note if mess members who through personal choice never use the facilities were allowed to resign membership I think most messes would very quickly be in a very perilous financial state indeed.
    Stents keeping things open 24/7

Men have status, boys are busy updating theirs

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyTech View Post
      Just an hypothetical question, has anyone successful left a mess? If so what process did you use?
      I believe it is in QR’s but can you legally be forced to pay in to a club that you don’t wish to be in?
      Thank you for your help.
      Why take the promotion if you were unwilling to accept everything that comes with it?
      It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

sigpic

Comment

I was mess treasurer at Coltishall from 03-06. We gave those on local acting rank the option to become a member for the time they were holding the rank - it was about a 50/50 take-up.

One of the local acting rank "members" scooped a big prize at the Xmas Draw - some of the old farts didn't like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Downsizer View Post
          Why take the promotion if you were unwilling to accept everything that comes with it?
          And that attitude ladies and gents is why the RAF has a retention problem
          "can you go to the med centre and pick up some fallopian tubing?"

Comment

Originally posted by briggfairy View Post
            How........?

What else should you be able to opt out of SJARs? Discipline? Where does the line get drawn?

And for the record, I don't use the mess, and am fairly ambivalent about the tenner a month.
            It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyTech View Post
              I believe it is in QR’s but can you legally be forced to pay in to a club that you don’t wish to be in?
              Thank you for your help.
              How would you explain your position if you were sent to another unit for a course or detachment?
              It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Comment

Personally, I'm surprised that in these days of cost-cutting, the messes have managed to survive the axe. Less than 50% of the membership use the messes, there is supposed to be a culture of less alcohol, and the cost to the public purse for all those stewards and cleaners must be astronomical.

Comment

Originally posted by muttywhitedog View Post
                  the cost to the public purse for all those stewards and cleaners must be astronomical.
                  Doubt there's many RAF run messes remaining most are under the control of catering companies who have bid for the contract.

Comment

Those staff still get paid through the public purse though - even if it goes through contractors and agencies. The Mess membership doesn't pay the wages of the mess staff - the taxpayer does.

Comment

How........?

What else should you be able to opt out of SJARs? Discipline? Where does the line get drawn?

And for the record, I don't use the mess, and am fairly ambivalent about the tenner a month.
                      Sjars and discipline are conditions of service, paying to be a member of a club you don't use isn't therefore insisting that people either join or turn down promotion, (and the opportunity to earn more money for their family), would drive many people to leave. its akin to insisting that you join the local golf club if you want a pay rise whether you want to play or not.
                      "can you go to the med centre and pick up some fallopian tubing?"

Comment

Sjars and discipline are conditions of service, paying to be a member of a club you don't use isn't therefore insisting that people either join or turn down promotion, (and the opportunity to earn more money for their family), would drive many people to leave. its akin to insisting that you join the local golf club if you want a pay rise whether you want to play or not.
                        There's an argument that membership is a condition of service as well.

As I said, I have no real love of the mess, but IMHO it is what it is, same as all the other gubbins that come with being a SNCO.

sigpic

Comment

all the other gubbins that come with being a SNCO.
                          That's the thing it is exactly all the other "gubbins" that comes with being a SNCO. It's not like a sweet shop pick 'n' mix where you get the option to pick only the things you like.

Comment

The mess at my current unit has gone a bit strange. A/Sgt taking there cpl mates to functions. Aramark seeming to provide minimum product.
                            Mess garden members begging for furniture, plant, pallets etc for improvements. I am at a loss to work out what my £20 a months goes on.
                            Functions are fab but living off means I canít get to many.
                            The answer as it always is, is join the committee but would the committee really want a crusty SNCO who is asking if itís possible to get out of mess all together.???
                            The messes in their current guise donít have long left, hopefully they will evolve in line with society and start giving value for money again.

Comment

Don't think so, it shows that there are fecking snowflakes at SNCO level now.

Let him leave, it costs £75+ a night for a hotel in Telford, he'll soon be dripping to his bosses that he's out of pocket when he goes on a course.

When I was CMC of a mess in Bucks, I used to get loads of complaints from people about paying £12 a month, but I'd see them on a regular basis sat in Costa Coffee with their SNCO mates paying over £2+ for a cup of ****e trendy coffee.

I rarely used the mess when I was close enough to live at home, but appreciated the fact it was a small luxury to utilise whenever I was away.
                              They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare, reading E-Goat has proved this is NOT the case...

Comment

Working...
                              X