Announcement

Collapse

SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND E-GOAT DOWNTIME

E-Goat will be go down occasionally for more upgrades and updates.

There's still a lot to do but we have taken the leap and going for Goat!
See more
See less

Has any serving person successfully opted out of the officer or sgts mess?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding the red conk, blown vein cheeked 'Waldorf and Statler' type 'City Fathers' sat on their favourite mess bar stools, their portly rumps spillin' over the seats an' listen to their a grumpin' an' a gripin' an' a lookin' to see if you're correctly attired.....and fortunate to be in their glorious attendance.....

Off to the bowl I go......

Comment

The system needs looked at, some messes are forward thinking but seems too many are still stuck in the past. Tradition is good but other parts need to be looked at. Maybe CASWO needs to prompt a discussion at the next conference, and see how it can be maintained but still in keeping with Tradition.
      "God invented BEER so that forwards couldn't take over the world"

Comment

I’m not sure if it’s in QRs but you can decline to be a member of your Mess by putting it in writing to the Stn Cdr. If you are sent on course, subsequently, you pay the Mess Bill if that Mess you sleep at.
        You can continue to eat in your own Mess, but I think the extra bits ( coffee, condiments etc) are off limits. Papers and magazines are also a no go, as that’s what part of your subs pay for.
        Several people that got the arse on when made redundant did exactly this, about 7/8 years ago. Surprised they haven’t piped up here, as they’ve all rejoined.
        Attitudes to Messes have to change. The kitchens at my Mess feed both SNCos and JRs with separate serving areas and dining rooms. Our Mess bar is actively trying to ensure the profits don’t smash the Charity limit, and the socials are endless. I’d say we’re lucky in the fact most weekly commute and the Station is very much a ‘yes and and am doing’ sort of place.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevienics View Post
          I'll be sure and pass that on to the plethora of NCOAC/ATC ab-initio "Holding SNCO's" currently hogging your old mans upright chairs...
          Not sure what you are getting at here, are you against them putting money behind the bar? If so are you publicly stating that the Snecs bar is an ex Cpls bar, at which point the Mess just gets a lot older and the functions get more expensive?Just out of interest which bar do you use, Oís bar or Snecs?
          Personally, I donít even get why you are paying to live in, if you weekly commute. Are you not actually part of the RAF, or just squirrelling away for a house purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kirk View Post
            Not sure what you are getting at here, are you against them putting money behind the bar? If so are you publicly stating that the Snecs bar is an ex Cpls bar, at which point the Mess just gets a lot older and the functions get more expensive?Just out of interest which bar do you use, O’s bar or Snecs?
            Personally, I don’t even get why you are paying to live in, if you weekly commute. Are you not actually part of the RAF, or just squirrelling away for a house purchase?
            He's an FTRS zob.
            It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Downsizer View Post
              He's an FTRS zob.
              Thanks for the gem. In a Mess with 18/19 year olds himself, yet I donít hear him moaning about them putting money behind the bar!
              i thought FTRS werenít entitled to live in?

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
                I'm sure there is a working group somewhere in High Wycombe that is looking at what the RAF will look like in 5, 10 and 20 years time in terms of how we live and interact. Whilst military discipline must remain the messing system is antiquated and along with the various legal challenges to conditions and treatment and conditions we have already received and agreed to and the many more that will surely follow I think the 10-20 year plan will look like a central messing system all over...its more economic and reflective of society today.
                The RAF needs radical overhaul - in some areas of work the Officer/OR system is antiquated. SME SACs telling the Flt Lt how things are going to happen or briefing a 1*; two examples of many I have seen.

As for the messes, how many juniors have you spoken to recently? I speak to many who have no interest in doing more than a few years post trade-training. At this rate there wont be enough people left to fill the SNCO posts of the future. Couple that with the decline in the drinking culture (yes, I know there is more to it than that) and the future of the messes doesn't bode well.

As for the way things are now, I live out but make an effort to eat lunch in the mess a few times a week. Tri-service, we have a good time, make use of the facilities and there are several decent functions on throughout the year.

Comment

Working...
                X