Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any serving person successfully opted out of the officer or sgts mess?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first entered the mess in 1986 it was unheard of for anyone to want to be relieved of the responsibility to the mess.

We had quite a few 'Beanies' that saved a fortune and 'Singlies' that also saved money compared to living in the block.

The 'Scalies' could get a free brew and read of the daily paper at any time and highly subsidised functions, drinks and overnight rooms.

What is there to dislike?
    It's not the man in the fight - it's the fight in the man.

Comment

Originally posted by mad_collie View Post
      but appreciated the fact it was a small luxury to utilise whenever I was away.
      Bingo, small but appreciable thing. Much better arriving in a mess on another unit for a course.
      It is a good rule in life never to apologise. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.

sigpic

Comment

Something needs to change, that's for certain. I'm on the committee and all we see is falling revenues from member's leaving and less drinking going on.

Here's the key problem: The whole force. Contractors, MOD Civilians etc are not compelled to join (nor are FTRS) as full members and they compose of a large number of what used to be service roles. Also, we're few enough to know each other by name.

Marry this up with unattractive contractor messing and lesser service levels and the spiral of people leaving is put in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevienics View Post
          not compelled to join (nor are FTRS) as full members and they compose of a large number of what used to be service roles.
          Interesting I'm FTRS never got the option to not join. Mind you I left a Sgt came back as a Sgt next day so maybe someone forgot to cancel my membership........
          4 years later hardly use the mess never been to a Major Mess Function can I claim it back like PPI?
          "one day it's gonna go Pete Tong and they'll realise we've all been right for years"

Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majore

Donít force it, get a bigger hammer

Comment

I live in it during the week. Where else can you get accommodation for £80 a month sitting on top of a bar?

Comment

Shouldn't have messes now anyway, every single one of us has in our Personal Objectives to create an inclusive environment. The messes, by their definition, are entirely exclusive and completely against this.

Comment

Why would you want to opt out of the most prestigious and elite club in the world?

Zobs get access to theirs by attending a course on how to eat bananas with a knife and fork at Sleaford Tech...

SNCO's earn the privalidge of membership of their Mess through years of hard work.
                sigpic

Comment

There's been a few points made here that collectively add up to what i see as the problem. The Mess should be a place that is seen as a benefit of promotion, where better surroundings, food and, ahem, refreshment are available to those who have earned those privileges by dint of hard work and loyalty. What has happened is that JR accommodation has improved by leaps and bounds in recent years, food service in all messes has been allowed to deteriorate and many units (I regularly visit units of all 3 services and use both Off's & SNCO's messes) have some form of all ranks eating facility. The emphasis on families living off base, coupled with much more stringent drink-driving laws makes the functions less attractive and a less rigid hierarchical work structure all mean that the 'benefits and perks' of rank including those delivered by the messes have been whittled away at the same time as charges have been increased. I can't see how most messes will survive much longer but I will, to some extent, mourn their passing as a sign of a further loss of the ethos of a service with a career, camaraderie and team spirit and its replacement by a job with a uniform..

As an aside, I was of the generation where many singlies complained about the standard food charge (whether meals were eaten or not) and demanded the right to pay only for meals taken. Everything I see and hear about PAYD, especially in JR messes, tells me that those of us who cautioned against the idea were not too far off the mark. The damage to the messes is just a part of the fallout from that imho.

Comment

SNCO's earn the privalidge of membership of their Mess through years of hard work
                    I'll be sure and pass that on to the plethora of NCOAC/ATC ab-initio "Holding SNCO's" currently hogging your old mans upright chairs...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevienics View Post
                      I'll be sure and pass that on to the plethora of NCOAC/ATC ab-initio "Holding SNCO's" currently hogging your old mans upright chairs...
                      I forgot about them..
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm sure there is a working group somewhere in High Wycombe that is looking at what the RAF will look like in 5, 10 and 20 years time in terms of how we live and interact. Whilst military discipline must remain the messing system is antiquated and along with the various legal challenges to conditions and treatment and conditions we have already received and agreed to and the many more that will surely follow I think the 10-20 year plan will look like a central messing system all over...its more economic and reflective of society today.
                        sigpic

The Goat lives because you post interesting stuff...stop doing that and it will die...so show us your stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
                          I'm sure there is a working group somewhere in High Wycombe that is looking at what the RAF will look like in 5, 10 and 20 years time in terms of how we live and interact. Whilst military discipline must remain the messing system is antiquated and along with the various legal challenges to conditions and treatment and conditions we have already received and agreed to and the many more that will surely follow I think the 10-20 year plan will look like a central messing system all over...its more economic and reflective of society today.
                          Standing next to the Station Commander wondering if he will ask for gravy on his chips.
                          Patriotism is your conviction that this
                          country is superior to all other countries
                          because you were born in it.

George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think the 10-20 year plan will look like a central messing system all over...its more economic and reflective of society today.
                            Have you heard of the Army?

Comment

It looks like without a legal team to challenge QRs we must all remain Mess members. Well for as long as the mess is a thing.
                              If given the choice a large percentage of the membership would leave, killing it completely. Hopefully it can once again become a place people are proud to be a member of not forced too.....

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_Fuego View Post
                                Look at the Crown Plaza at T4 Heathrow, two hotels one building making the most of shared facilities to reduce cost whist keeping the riff raff to one side.

IIRC the US messing facility at Incirlic was a shared kitchen and separate dining halls, seemed to work okay and that was about 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Life begins at 40, with a nice payout and job to find

E-Goat totally unofficial for about 10 Years

Comment

Working...
                                X