E-Goat Folding Team - Using their PCs spare capacity to find medical cures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrenchardsLoveSock View Post
    I'll get round to downloading it and crashing the PC tonight. If it affects my framerate when playing FEAR it's coming of though.
    you can set how much CPU percentage it uses, from 100% (not wise!) down to 1%. even 1% is helping though whilst you're playing games!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by monobrow View Post
      you can set how much CPU percentage it uses, from 100% (not wise!) down to 1%. even 1% is helping though whilst you're playing games!!!!
      I tried reading some of the technobabble, but work keeps getting in the way and now my brain hurts.

Mono, can you set the CPU usage to scale itself depending on what else your CPU is using? I'm trying to teach myself 3D modelling and, although for much of the time it doesn't need too much CPU, the rendering needs pretty much the full whack to run at a sensible speed.
      I'd get p1ssed off changing the folding settings every time.

Comment

Has a setting of "minimal" but not tested whether it drops out when you load the cpu doing other things....

I'll give it a shot tonight

Comment

Originally posted by TrenchardsLoveSock View Post
          I tried reading some of the technobabble, but work keeps getting in the way and now my brain hurts.

Mono, can you set the CPU usage to scale itself depending on what else your CPU is using? I'm trying to teach myself 3D modelling and, although for much of the time it doesn't need too much CPU, the rendering needs pretty much the full whack to run at a sensible speed.
          I'd get p1ssed off changing the folding settings every time.
          I've been running folding at home for a few years now and can safely say that it won't interfere with anything you are doing. It only uses the processing power that isn't required by other programs. For example, if you are watching a video on your pc and that needs 15%, folding will only use 85%. It constantly adjusts but never gets in the way.

Comment

Watch the leckie

Ok, so I admit I havent checked how you can tweak this particular piece of software but many similar programs like this utilize idle processing, ramping your machine upto 100% when the OS has spare capacity.

You actually use more current when your processor is working hard. Your processor is also running hotter which will have a marginal effect on its lifespan.

Security is an issue, but in truth these things are pretty well tested and as someone else has pointed out your OS is likely to have more holes. Several multinationals like IBM often donate processing time on their workstations so if its good enough for big-blue..

Comment

Originally posted by metimmee View Post
              Ok, so I admit I havent checked how you can tweak this particular piece of software but many similar programs like this utilize idle processing, ramping your machine upto 100% when the OS has spare capacity.
              Yeah did that, but the old Athlon has had years and years of heavy gaming abuse so it really REALLY doesn't like being left at 100% usage!!! (crashed, reboot, crash as soon as at desktop, crashed 4 more times before getting on in safe mode, binning, leaving to cool, and re-installing)

But leave at default (15%) and works alreet!

Comment

Originally posted by wobbly View Post

The PS T- shirt piccy is our team logo and the team page can be found here.[/FONT]

Seeing as PS hasnt posted on here yet.....and he is on the Tshirt pic........does that mean Wobbly is PS???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hehehe, no mate, I just speak idiot quite nicely, I deal with them on a regular basis.

Just blame Mad Collie, everyone else does.
                  Cheers

Wobbly
                  E-Goat Head Admin

"ACTA NON VERBA"

Forum Etiquette and Rules :: Tech Support :: E-Goat Security :: E-Goat Folding Team ::

sigpic

Comment

I keep getting a problem with the program crashing my computer when it gets re-started..... any one got any ideas??

Obviously not a cooling issue as I tried it after the pooter was off all night

Comment

I keep getting a problem with the program crashing my computer when it gets re-started..... any one got any ideas??

Obviously not a cooling issue as I tried it after the pooter was off all night
                      Well any of these intensive progs are a good way of testing stability of CPU cooling, Memory and Case cooling....

I have had it running for the last 3 days constant with no crashes...one of the best i have found not to interfere with day to day use.

Athlon 3200+ (Overclocked)
                      1 Gig ram

I used to get lockups all the time (always put it down to the BT Homehub) but now i have folding@home to save every 6 mins i get no lockups at all....

Hope you sort it out.....

Crack on..............
                      We all die eventually, some of us look forward to it more than most.

The RAF's future is OFFSHORE......BE the best.....Join the rest !!

Some of my Photographs : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tashyman/

Comment

It's really odd though... I can install it and let it run for hours upon hours....

but if it auto starts at switch on, Screen goes to standby and nothing responds (caps/num/scroll lock unresponsive.....)

Think I might have to just start it up manually and see how it goes

Comment

It's really odd though... I can install it and let it run for hours upon hours....

but if it auto starts at switch on, Screen goes to standby and nothing responds (caps/num/scroll lock unresponsive.....)

Think I might have to just start it up manually and see how it goes
                          Hmmm..don't really know what to suggest...i have done that, restarted after installing some stuff and it started up with no probs to the puter.....

Sorry M8......

Crack on..........

Comment

I've signed up.

edit: Holy crap, my pc will take 104 days to complete the current work unit!
                            Last edited by Fablon biff chit; 17-03-2007, 19:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Fablon biff chit View Post
                              I've signed up.

edit: Holy crap, my pc will take 104 days to complete the current work unit!
                              FBC

Mine was about the same, after 3 days very little progress. However since then I've had a play with the settings and upped the allocation of resources. My first unit is now predicted to complete on Monday morning and I havn't noticed any difference in performance

Hu
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hu Jardon View Post
                                FBC

Mine was about the same, after 3 days very little progress. However since then I've had a play with the settings and upped the allocation of resources. My first unit is now predicted to complete on Monday morning and I havn't noticed any difference in performance

Hu
                                Indeedy....put the slider all the way to the right.........

Crack on............

Comment

Working...
                                X