Spooky stories

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spooky stories

Another night shift out in the swamps. Just wondering if anyone knows any station related ghost stories or has encountered anything spooky on a RAF camp? Apparently we've got a haunted HAS and I know Halton is reputed to have one or two permenant residents from its hospital days. I'm on my own in the office so scare me if you can.

BOO!!

Bet ya crapped yerself
    sigpic
    I once had a large gay following, but I ducked into an alleyway and lost him.

Comment

Hereford Ghouls

Many, many moons ago when Hereford (Credenhill) was still in our hands, there were rumours of a ghost who would patrol the area beyond the hangars at the bottom of the camp. This rumour was no doubt fuelled by having so many young and impressionable trainees running around the training unit at that time.

At night, this part of the camp was regularly covered in fog from the river which ran along the outer border of the military camp area. Additionally, the whole camp had apple trees strewn about everywhere (for making Bulmer's cider!) - and the shapes looked really scary in the mist and gloom.

All was going well with the rumour of the spook on camp, until one night when some recently passed out trade trainees were helping out the regular staff on guard duty. Regular foot patrols were sent out by the SNCO guard commander, and they usually consisted of two personnel - an armed member of the permanent staff and an unarmed trainee.

This particular night in the middle of winter, when the weather was at it's worst and a cold, damp fog shrouded the whole camp, a foot patrol went out around 0200 hours. They patrolled around the edge of the camp, inspecting the chicken wire fence for holes as they went along. All of a sudden they came across a hole in the fence, which measured about 3 feet in length. The armed guard instructed the unarmed trainee to radio back what they had found, only to find that the radio would not transmit. He then told the trainee that he would remain in place whilst the unarmed guard was to run back to the guardroom and report the incident.

Hereford was not a big camp, and the direct route back to the guardroom should have only taken 5 minutes to run at the very most. When nobody had turned up to assist the armed guard after 20 minutes, he began to wonder what was going on. After 30 minutes, he thought he could hear low, gurgling noises coming from close by but could not identify what it could possibly be. A few minutes later, and still with no help having arrived from the rest of the guard force, he heard the strange gurgling noises again - only this time much closer to his position than before. He did not know what the sounds were, but they didn't sound human at all. He really started to get worried at this stage, and slowly started to work his way through the fog towards the sound.

All of a sudden the noise stopped, but by this time the guard thought he had a good idea of the general direction it had been coming from. He continued to creep forward through the murk, until he stumbled over something on the ground which caused him to trip and fall forward. His act of falling must have caught the attention of whatever had been making the noise, because the gurgling sound suddenly started up again - only this time much louder and more urgent.

When the guard regained his composure, he finally managed to find the noise was coming from the unarmed guard who was lying on the ground with blood spewing out of a hole in his neck. The poor guy was obviously very weak and couldn't speak because of the blood coming out of his neck and throat. He was desperately trying to get the attention of the other guard to try and get medical assistance. The armed guard freaked at the sight, and thinking his colleague had been attacked by the ghost, sprinted off in the other direction as fast as he could go. Eventually, he made his way back to the guardroom and reported what he had witnessed. The rest of the guard force then deployed to the area and managed to recover the (now unconscious) guard and get him to the medical centre.

Apparently, as was discovered later, the unarmed guard had initially set off to report the hole in the fence incident as fast as his little legs could carry him. In his haste (or maybe juvenile enthusiasm) the youngster failed to see the root of a tree which he tripped over and banged himself into the tree trunk. Unfortunately for the poor lad, he also managed to impale himself in the neck on a branch as he was falling, and that had caused his horrific injury. However, he eventually managed to make a full recovery - some 5 weeks later.

How do I know all this? I was the guard commander that night!

Spooky enough for you?

Comment

Still not scared!

Good but surely someone can do better.

Comment

Rumour has it that one of the Nimrods is haunted, XV229 if memory serves. One of the riggers apparently saw a face staring back at him one day when he looked in one of the hydraulic bays. Theres been a few other things with it, such as unexplained lights. maybe some of the current Nimrod lads could expand.

Comment

RAF Wittering ATC has a ghostly pilot that appears in the tower due to a spitfire that collided with the tower during WW2
            Whilst at Bruggen HAS 14 had a figure that appeared of worker that got crushed after a section of reinforced concrete fell on him during the building off it,also german troops had been seen on 9 sqn site this was seen by one of the sootie's whilst on swing shift.

Comment

Southern HAS Site RAF Leeming

The HAS in the woods at the bottom end of the Southern HAS site (23 Sqn's site when I was first there!) at RAF Leeming was known for its spooks. The rumour was that it was the site of a WW2 crash. Whatever, going there in the dark early hours on the night shift always sent a shiver down the spine. You always felt you were being watched, and not just by the site spy cameras checking up on you. The strange noises might have been explained away by the wind in the trees - but I'm not so sure! Definitely the place to send the new arrivals on their first night shift - oh how we laughed when they came back looking pale and keeping quiet - right up to the point when we had to go down there ourselves........

Comment

Ermine street runs through the middle of one of the dispersals at waddington (D or E, I can't remember). Sitting there in the wee small hours is very spooky. Lots of strange noises and the marching of Roman feet!
                Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
                I DON'T SUPPORT LABOUR!

Comment

I remember a jolly jape on Albert when the aircraft where on either the wash bay or bays 1-4 at night at Lyneham. It was generally dark with not much lighting and some people thought there was spooky goings on.

When a new lad arrived we used to send him out to open the Main Landing Gear doors but in the mean time somebody else went out and climbed in the MLG bay.
                  When said new lad opened the small access doors and put his hands in he got the shock of his life............good for the old ticker.

Comment

I have some good ghost stories but they are from onboard prior ships. I don’t want to start ranting on so I will ask; do you want to hear one or two?

Comment

Go on then, I don't have much on this afternoon so it will help pass the time.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Angel
                        Another night shift out in the swamps. Just wondering if anyone knows any station related ghost stories or has encountered anything spooky on a RAF camp? Apparently we've got a haunted HAS and I know Halton is reputed to have one or two permenant residents from its hospital days. I'm on my own in the office so scare me if you can.
                        not on base but reported by an airman:

"In the early years of World War Two I was stationed on an airfield at Oulton in Norfolk. Sometime in the Winter of '41-42 I was walking alone from Aylsham to Oulton Street. The night was very cold but clear. I had just passed [on the B1354] Blickling Hall on my right when to my surprise I suddenly saw a large black dog standing in the middle of the road some few feet from me [probably at c.TG17752850.] As I called to the dog a most peculiar feeling came upon me. The nearest description I can give is that it was a 'nervous tingling.' I advanced towards the animal but as I went forward the animal retreated but without moving its feet, almost as though it was a cardboard 'cut-out' being pulled away from me with strings.
                        The dog's mouth was open but it made no sound. The animal was not in a belligerent attitude but just seemed to be observing me. I stopped and the dog also ceased its backward motion. After regarding me for maybe ten seconds the animal just completely disappeared. By 'disappeared' I mean that it did not run away but literally 'disappeared.' The night was very clear and I had a good view over the paddocks to my left and right. I could see no dog.
                        My 'physical sensation' returned to normal but I was convinced that I had seen something not 'quite right.' In those far-off days I was a young practical and very fit serviceman not given to fantasies and on that particular night I had had nothing at all to drink. At that time I had never seen a 'Rottweiler' dog but the first time I saw one reminded me of my peculiar dog meeting."

I mention it only because, 60 years later I had almost the exact same experience on the same stretch of road.:PDT_Xtremez_03:

Comment

Call me 'Auntie Albert'!

On my first ship a P.O. had died in his pit after one too many beers, the medics classed it as male ‘cot death’. Anyhow, it was said you could see him wondering down 1 deck in the middle of the night. One night it fell upon me to conduct WE rounds whilst at sea. It was 3am (ish) and I had climbed the ladder from 2deck up to 1 deck, coming through the hatch I noticed some one walking about and into a confined compartment. I quickly followed, only 2 exits and one was locked with a fire hatch and this figure didn’t reemerge at all. I heard footsteps and a voice saying ‘hurry your late on rounds’ but I was the only one around, I then headed out onto the upper deck (considering its pitch black at night in the middle of the ocean and very windy, it can be a little scary). Walking along the upper deck I saw this figure again darting in and out of the shadows, I starting walking fast to catch up and was shouting! I followed it back inside to the wardroom and it disappeared, however I knew exactly what he was wearing, I even saw his branch badge. Safe to say when I had described the man and his clothing, his badge and accent, they confirmed it was the PO who died a few years before.

That put the sh*ts up me for a few weeks!

Comment

My memory is a bit sketchy but I recall a story from (I think) Coltishall where a couple of guys on patrol near the hangars during the early hours were met my an officer in his No1s. The airmen instinctively saluted the officer who saluted back and then promtly disappeared. Now, this could be a load of old tosh so if anyone can expand on this story feel free.

Another story that isn't entirely RAF related but I'll recount it all the same was something that happened to my Grandmother a few years ago. She was staying in a ward at St Thomas' Hospital in London when one night at around 2am she was awoken by the sensation that someone was sitting on the end of her bed. She cautiously reached for the bedside lamp and switched it on. Low and behold, there in the half light was clearly visible the figure of an old man. Now, my gran was pretty tough and didn't mess around. "Who are you?" she asked. "I'm your husband" came the reply. "Don't be bloody stupid" she said, my husband's been dead for 25 years....". With that she pressed the panic button and in rushed a pair of nurses who were visibly shocked at what they saw. They promptly grabbed Mr Smith from the adjoining ward and dragged the octogenarian perv back to his own bed. It just goes to show that not everything is as spooky as it seems, although it does kind of freak me out that my Gran could still pull way into her eighties...

This story's a bit spooky too:

Freddy Jackson
                            This intriguing photo( http://paranormal.about.com/library/...jackson_lg.jpg ), taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo.
                            Last edited by Bluntend; 13-06-2006, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluntend
                              My memory is a bit sketchy but I recall a story from (I think) Coltishall where a couple of guys on patrol near the hangars during the early hours were met my an officer in his No1s. The airmen instinctively saluted the officer who saluted back and then promtly disappeared. Now, this could be a load of old tosh so if anyone can expand on this story feel free.

Another story that isn't entirely RAF related but I'll recount it all the same was something that happened to my Grandmother a few years ago. She was staying in a ward at St Thomas' Hospital in London when one night at around 2am she was awoken by the sensation that someone was sitting on the end of her bed. She cautiously reached for the bedside lamp and switched it on. Low and behold, there in the half light was clearly visible the figure of an old man. Now, my gran was pretty tough and didn't mess around. "Who are you?" she asked. "I'm your husband" came the reply. "Don't be bloody stupid" she said, my husband's been dead for 25 years....". With that she pressed the panic button and in rushed a pair of nurses who were visibly shocked at what they saw. They promptly grabbed Mr Smith from the adjoining ward and dragged the octogenarian perv back to his own bed. It just goes to show that not everything is as spooky as it seems, although it does kind of freak me out that my Gran could still pull way into her eighties...

This story's a bit spooky too:

Freddy Jackson
                              This intriguing photo( http://paranormal.about.com/library/...jackson_lg.jpg ), taken in 1919, was first published in 1975 by Sir Victor Goddard, a retired R.A.F. officer. The photo is a group portrait of Goddard's squadron, which had served in World War I aboard the HMS Daedalus. An extra ghostly face appears in the photo. In back of the airman positioned on the top row, fourth from the left, can clearly be seen the face of another man. It is said to be the face of Freddy Jackson, an air mechanic who had been accidentally killed by an airplane propeller two days earlier. His funeral had taken place on the day this photograph was snapped. Members of the squadron easily recognized the face as Jackson's. It has been suggested that Jackson, unaware of his death, decided to show up for the group photo.

Bare details only, but here's a host of aviation ghosts:

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/av...ws_paradata=93

Comment

Working...
                              X