Register

Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial Royal Air Force Rumour Network forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

1. Recruitment RAF Reserve

Hello Folks,

New to this forum and looking for advice?

Considering joining the RAF reserves, whilst at 35 with no previous military experience, does this preclude me from joining.

Would be a regiment squadron in Scotland. I am currently a serving Copper with 10 years service and keep myself fit and active, marathon runner and triathlon to ironman level.

Guess I still look back that my biggest regret was not joining the RAF after college, went for initial interview but took a job in civvy street instead then joined the police 4 years later at 25.

Needing a challenge and have always wished to serve my country.

Just testing the water and looking for advice, will make the necessary enquiries with the regiment nearest to me, which is Edinburgh.

Bascially any advice from those serving or served in RAF & Reserves on the selection and training processes as well as you own feelings/experiences on the subject.

Cheers and thanks in advance

That's all fantastic, but doesn't being a copper preclude you from having a commitment to serve in the armed forces? Times of national emergency etc? Best check I think.
    Rank is an unreliable indicator of intelligence and/or competence

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeledtechie View Post
    That's all fantastic, but doesn't being a copper preclude you from having a commitment to serve in the armed forces? Times of national emergency etc? Best check I think.
    Nope it doesn't. At one time you had to be a serving copper to be in the RMP (TA).
    You can be a serving copper and join any Armed Forces reserve, but you can't be in the full time military and be a Special Constable.
    Last edited by Dave-exfairy; 16-01-2009 at 00:05.

4. Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeledtechie View Post
    No, coppers are fine now, as are the other emergency services. I know this to be true 'cos there was a copper on my BRC last year.

Knoydart, crack on, you're fine up to age 50 for joining.

Plenty of jobs for the Oggies too - don't have to be Regiment, could be Intelligence (they recruit nationally)

Age is certainly not a barrier, I seem to recall that you might have to get permission from your Force's Chief Constable, but that may just be a rubber-stamp job.

Auxiliary life is a good thing - take the plunge, I've been doing 18 years now, and wouldn't have missed it for the world... even the mobilisations!

6. Hi,

just wondering if you ever went any further with your application, am joining the Edinburgh squdron as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Knoydart View Post
    Hello Folks,

New to this forum and looking for advice?

Considering joining the RAF reserves, whilst at 35 with no previous military experience, does this preclude me from joining.

Would be a regiment squadron in Scotland. I am currently a serving Copper with 10 years service and keep myself fit and active, marathon runner and triathlon to ironman level.

Guess I still look back that my biggest regret was not joining the RAF after college, went for initial interview but took a job in civvy street instead then joined the police 4 years later at 25.

Needing a challenge and have always wished to serve my country.

Just testing the water and looking for advice, will make the necessary enquiries with the regiment nearest to me, which is Edinburgh.

Bascially any advice from those serving or served in RAF & Reserves on the selection and training processes as well as you own feelings/experiences on the subject.

Cheers and thanks in advance