PDA

View Full Version : Quaint laws

roverboy
24-08-2007, 11:11
We've just had a discussion in our office about the quaint laws that may or may not exist simply because they haven't been withdrawn.

Examples are:

"An Englishman who spots a Scotsman within the York city walls between the hours of midnight and 6am may shoot him with a longbow"

"It is illegal to eat mince pies on a Sunday"

"If an officer arrives at the guard room, then the duty NCO must obtain stabling for that horse"

"NCOs are expected to carry out underpant checks of airmen under their command"

So my question is : Do any of these laws actually exist or are they a load of tosh?

Do you know of any others?

pueblos
24-08-2007, 11:14
All Elephants within New York City limits must be on a chain!!!:PDT_Xtremez_17:

docbombhead
24-08-2007, 11:14
Does the underpants check include Airwomen ?

pie sandwich
24-08-2007, 11:20
It you can not eat mince pie's at christmas because oliver cromwell banned them. That was a while ago but it think it's ok to do now

AllWoman
24-08-2007, 11:25
One of my favourites is that the Welsh are not allowed in Chester after dark!

Personally I think they shouldn't be allowed out after dark fullstop!!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Kernow
24-08-2007, 11:27
apparently if you shoot someone in the ar5e with a longbow and they die you cannot be done for murder or any lesser charge.

wolfy
24-08-2007, 11:28
We've just had a discussion in our office about the quaint laws that may or may not exist simply because they haven't been withdrawn.

Examples are:

"An Englishman who spots a Scotsman within the York city walls between the hours of midnight and 6am may shoot him with a longbow"

"NCOs are expected to carry out underpant checks of airmen under their command"

So my question is : Do any of these laws actually exist or are they a load of tosh?

Do you know of any others?

"An Englishman who spots a Welshman within the chester city walls in daytime may shoot him with a longbow"

Englismen are to practise their lonbow skills on a sunday

"COs can inspect your underpants."

gunner j 344
24-08-2007, 11:29
One of my favourites is that the Welsh are not allowed in Chester after dark!

Personally I think they shouldn't be allowed out after dark fullstop!!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

why would you want to be in chester anyway ?:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Just like watching Brazil
24-08-2007, 11:30
"An Englishman who spots a Welshman within the chester city walls in daytime may shoot him with a longbow"

I thought the Welsh thing was only after dark. Also made me wonder why this has never been tried...:PDT_Xtremez_19:

Albert Park
24-08-2007, 11:30
You're not supposed to be using a mobile phone whilst driving a car.

docbombhead
24-08-2007, 11:31
[QUOTE=AllWoman;152134]One of my favourites is that the Welsh are not allowed in Chester after dark!

Been to Chester in the day it was sh*te !

gunner j 344
24-08-2007, 11:31

I think you will find that longbow chaps were welsh :PDT_Xtremez_28:
hence the welsh longbow:PDT_Xtremez_25: please see 100 years war for historic detail
:PDT_Xtremez_28:
lonbow ???:PDT_Xtremez_06:
how can you be taken seriously when you can't even spell in your own language TUT TUT:PDT_Xtremez_27:

tobytyke
24-08-2007, 13:21
The Underpants check has been removed from QR's, as has not having breakfast is a chargable offence. But the SWO still has to give you a bale of hay for your horse!

gunner j 344
24-08-2007, 13:46
The Underpants check has been removed from QR's, as has not having breakfast is a chargable offence. But the SWO still has to give you a bale of hay for your horse!

I bet he is busy the morning after bop night :PDT_Xtremez_30:

TrickyTree
24-08-2007, 13:53
I've been hearing this one for the past 22 years - will somebody please post a reference because quite frankly I don't believe a word of it.

wolfy
24-08-2007, 13:58
I've been hearing this one for the past 22 years - will somebody please post a reference because quite frankly I don't believe a word of it.

As far as the underpants inspection goes i think you will find it goes back to the days when you had them issued to you, and could be checked as part of a kit inspection (I'm sure there must be some older goaters that may confirm this). And not stood in front of the orifice with you trousers round your ankles!

TrickyTree
24-08-2007, 14:05
No, no, it's the bit about the gee-gee's that I can't get my cap on with.

wolfy
24-08-2007, 14:27
No, no, it's the bit about the gee-gee's that I can't get my cap on with.

Not heard of that before but as the origins of the RAF date back to WW1 it may lay there but it could be an urban myth.

True Blue Jack
24-08-2007, 14:44
We are amateurs when it comes to stupid laws. Check out these beauties from Texas:

When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

No wonder they elected GWB. :PDT_Xtremez_31:

True Blue Jack
24-08-2007, 14:50
Or this one from New York:

The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

wolfy
24-08-2007, 14:56
Try these from Florida:

Unmarried couples may not commit "lewd acts" and live together in the same residence.

It is illegal to sell your children.

Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

shettie
24-08-2007, 14:58
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2251280.ece lists a few more - my personal favourite "It is illegal to ride an ugly horse" Wilbur - Washington State... How can you tell...

Realist78
24-08-2007, 16:52
I bet he is busy the morning after bop night :PDT_Xtremez_30:

He said horse, not moose!:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Cake or Death
24-08-2007, 17:10
Im sure i read that in one american state it is in fact illeagl to marry your camel?????

I think in the isle of man you can kill a scots man an a beach below the high tide mark and not be punished for it!

mad_mo
24-08-2007, 18:33
And who can tell me what medieval law from the 12/13th century is still enforced today!!!

lisab
24-08-2007, 18:35
Oooo erm is it something to do with sodomy????

mad_mo
24-08-2007, 18:37
Oooo erm is it something to do with sodomy????

Trust you to think of that!!! No!

Bluntend
24-08-2007, 18:43
Try these from Florida...

Have you got any for Alabama ? I'm stuck here on det and want to make sure I get home in on peice...

lisab
24-08-2007, 18:44
Oh ok how about rights of way??? linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2498827.stm)

mad_mo
24-08-2007, 18:46
Oh ok how about rights of way??? linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2498827.stm)

No! Its not as widley used as this one is, in a Court of Law ( a clue )

AllWoman
24-08-2007, 21:59
And who can tell me what medieval law from the 12/13th century is still enforced today!!!

Habeas corpus?????

True Blue Jack
24-08-2007, 22:28

Succession de facto?

Kernow
24-08-2007, 22:41
Have you got any for Alabama ? I'm stuck here on det and want to make sure I get home in on peice...

Hope this helps:

In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

Just found this link

Alabama (http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/alabama/)

Studley dangerfcuk
24-08-2007, 23:08
The police have just told me that "Suprise Sex" is also called rape in this country.

Who would have thought.

Studley :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Bluntend
24-08-2007, 23:31
Hope this helps:

In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle...

Phew - its a good job I didn't get pulled over by the feds...:PDT_Xtremez_17:

rogerslimprs
24-08-2007, 23:39
Came across this today:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2251280.ece
25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.
22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.
21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.
20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.
19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.
18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.
17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.
16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.
15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.
14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.
13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.
12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.
11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.
10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.
9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.
8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.
7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.
6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.
4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.
2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.
1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Studley dangerfcuk
24-08-2007, 23:58
Roverboy, were you listening to Radio 2 this morning as well.

Davina McColl done it I think.

Studley :PDT_Xtremez_28:

flintwich
25-08-2007, 07:16
Came across this today:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2251280.ece
25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.
24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.
22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.
21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations 2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.
20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.
19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.
18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.
17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.
16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.
15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.
14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.
13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.
12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.
11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.
10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.
9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.
8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.
7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.
6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.
4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.
2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.
1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

Ref no 24. It's not illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament, many people have including one MP in the House itself. It's that noone is ever declared dead in HOP as if the are, they are entitled to a state funeral and the Government don't want to pay for it.

Dave-exfairy
25-08-2007, 07:53

Get it right!! It's after MIDNIGHT!!!

gemarriott
25-08-2007, 08:08
A taxi cab driver must carry a bale of hay in the boot to feed his horse.

A local hackney carriage company lost their taxi license many moons ago because the tha mayor couldn't sit upright in the back of their Mk2 cortina with his top hat on. Apparently they broke the law calling themselves a Hackney Carriage company as you need to be able to ewear a topper to be a hackney cab, no dooubt they'd have got him for the hay anyway.

mad_mo
25-08-2007, 08:17
Ok. The answer to my question of the 12/13th century law still enforced today is :

Common Law!!!!!

For example, Murder is contrary to common law.

Lord Azrael
05-09-2007, 13:43
I think you will find that longbow chaps were welsh :PDT_Xtremez_28:
hence the welsh longbow:PDT_Xtremez_25: please see 100 years war for historic detail
:PDT_Xtremez_28:
lonbow ???:PDT_Xtremez_06:
how can you be taken seriously when you can't even spell in your own language TUT TUT:PDT_Xtremez_27:

Yes and no on this one. The English longbow was developed from a design used by the Welsh in the early 12th century during the war between England & Wales in which the English were taken aback by the ferocity of this weapon. After the war ended many Welsh archers were signed up by the English and were some of the most skilled users of the bow. It then became a predominately English weapon and was used against the Scots from around 1330 onwards and then in the Hundred Years War against the French from 1357-1453 under the command of Edward III & Henry V, where the bow gained massive appeal by decimating the French at Crecy, Poitiers & Agincourt.
The main reason the other nations never took up use of the bow was due to the length of time it took to train an archer. They would start when young and would generally take around 10 years+ to be a good archer for war.

It was made law that archery would be practiced by able bodied men and boys, usually on a Sunday at the butts.

The variation on this law (probably dating from the reign of King Henry VIII) stating that it should be practiced in the streets was never repealed until the mid 1970's when some students found this out and started shooting targets in the street!
And here the history lesson endeth.

I am a longbow archer myself at the RAF Lossiemouth & Kinloss club (based at Lossie) and if anyone fancies a go at archery, feel free to come along on Sundays from 1000-1200.

2nd Outsider
05-09-2007, 14:06
I heard that it is an offense to leave the mess hungry.

How is this meant to be policed ?

bluetonic
05-09-2007, 14:11
:PDT_Xtremez_30: The rule of thumb states "You may beat your wife with a stick so long as its diameter is no greater than your thumb!"

muttywhitedog
05-09-2007, 16:21
I heard that it is an offense to leave the mess hungry.

How is this meant to be policed ?

Particularly with PAYD and the "Core Menu"!!!!

auchtermuchty
05-09-2007, 17:15
Try these from Florida:

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Well there goes my plans for New Year in Miami!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Mrs_Monobrow
05-09-2007, 17:37
:PDT_Xtremez_30: The rule of thumb states "You may beat your wife with a stick so long as its diameter is no greater than your thumb!"

I have heard of this one. I think it was mono that told me?! :PDT_Xtremez_17:

AbuNajiWaterRat
05-09-2007, 22:15
As far as the underpants inspection goes i think you will find it goes back to the days when you had them issued to you, and could be checked as part of a kit inspection (I'm sure there must be some older goaters that may confirm this). And not stood in front of the orifice with you trousers round your ankles!
Yes, I can confirm I have had to drop trousers on parade in the past but it was so the fire crew commander could inspect our string leggings (remember the string vests?) to make sure there were no rips in them which would render them u/s. Some blokes would cut them off at the knees or not even wear them at all, which always resulted in a severe b0ll0cking & an immediate practice crash for the whole crew, Ahh the good old days...

shoutingwind
05-09-2007, 22:26
all these long bows can't still be inforce as its illegal to hunt with one- both people and animals, so you might not get done with murder but they would surley get you on the hunting with a bow ban?