PDA

View Full Version : Her Majesties Air Force Vessels (HMAFV)

MQ-9 Reaper
09-02-2012, 01:18
Just poking around the web and found these two little ships

HMAFR Seal (http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=353996) and HMAFR Seagull (http://news.webshots.com/photo/1015344163015060561wnWFDlxNzI) Surprised they are still afloat, surely these should be bought and preserved?

8:15fromOdium
09-02-2012, 09:36
There is already a "boat" in the RAF Museum (http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/london/collections/marine-craft/seaplane-tender.cfm) It has got a classic history, well worth a read - especially relating to the forgotten air war over the Atlantic in WW2. Castle Archdale is well worth a visit btw.

morse1001
09-02-2012, 11:11
Just poking around the web and found these two little ships

HMAFR Seal (http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=353996) and HMAFR Seagull (http://news.webshots.com/photo/1015344163015060561wnWFDlxNzI) Surprised they are still afloat, surely these should be bought and preserved?

It's HMAFV and I was the WOp on both of those boats at one time or another. Sea Otter is now a Japanese Research vessel. From the WOps persective, the Radio Room door was lockable!

The MK3 boarts were handed over to either the RN or the Army and then transferdd to civvie operators for other duties.

The is a very good site: http://rafmarinecraft.bravehost.com/index.html

Here is a picture of the the HSL and Pinnace at Hendon. One of the Skippers at Alness was Alan Holgate, as a LAC MBC, he was part of the acceptance crew for 2757.

The Pinnace 1374, that was where I spent my 24th birthday, we were the safety boat for the Valley Airshow, however, we did have 24 botttles of Pomange with us!

At mountbatten itself, it was a veritible treasure trove of boats and equipment, sadly, they have probably been destroyed.

morse1001
09-02-2012, 11:21
This is the WOp shop of HMAFV Hurricane! the Radio is a Radifon 618, normally used as a standby radio on RN ships!

morse1001
09-02-2012, 11:23
The final zap! I hate to be pedantic but those are not either eagles or albatrosses but sihthawkes!

Dave-exfairy
09-02-2012, 21:35
There was a rumour at Colt that the SWO in the early 90's, Mr Sweeney, was ex marine branch.

morse1001
09-02-2012, 21:51
There was a rumour at Colt that the SWO in the early 90's, Mr Sweeney, was ex marine branch.

I used to be the Secretary of the East Anglian Branch of the ASR/MCS club and the name sounds familar because i sent out an invite to join and the address was the Guardroom!

Kipper Fleet Bloke
09-02-2012, 23:55
Arrrrr, once had to go up to Alness from ISK in the early/mid 80's and do an inventory check on a boat. I vaguely remember there being whisky involved.
Also once flew civvy out to Seeb on a brand new BA 777 and the trolley bloke was ex marine branch from Alness.
I'm not casting any aspersions - he seemed pretty straight to me?

morse1001
10-02-2012, 01:56
Arrrrr, once had to go up to Alness from ISK in the early/mid 80's and do an inventory check on a boat. I vaguely remember there being whisky involved.
Also once flew civvy out to Seeb on a brand new BA 777 and the trolley bloke was ex marine branch from Alness.
I'm not casting any aspersions - he seemed pretty straight to me?

I got discharged at Alness, when i got home, i went to a local pub and before I could order, the barman said, 'you used to be on the boats at Alness'! I asked him how he knew, he had been the Cpl ic rthe POL point at Kinloss and every thursday, i had to make a trip to kinloss to do morse practise!

Shackfairy
10-02-2012, 10:32
Got sent up to Alness from Kinloss in the early 70's with a replacement compass for one of the boats.
Think I did a compass swing on it (memory's going!)

techie_tubby
10-02-2012, 11:54
So what where they used for? Part of the SAR fleet?

Boarderlyne
10-02-2012, 12:10
ASR mate. Air Sea Rescue. Formed in 1918 to rescue downed pilots. A nice potted history at http://www.aviationmuseum.net/ais-sea%20resue.htm

Dave-exfairy
10-02-2012, 12:12
Got sent up to Alness from Kinloss in the early 70's with a replacement compass for one of the boats.
Think I did a compass swing on it (memory's going!)

Were compass swings on boats just as boring and tedious as those on jets?

Shackfairy
10-02-2012, 12:34
Were compass swings on boats just as boring and tedious as those on jets?

No! just try keeping the boat on the required heading for long enough.
Oh, and there's always the seasickness to keep your mind of things..

morse1001
10-02-2012, 14:57
No! just try keeping the boat on the required heading for long enough.
Oh, and there's always the seasickness to keep your mind of things..

We had gyro compasses. I do remember a Puma doing a compass swing on Caye Chapel in belize, that was interesting!

morse1001
10-02-2012, 15:21
So what where they used for? Part of the SAR fleet?

The main period for ASR work was WW2, as well as ASR work the HSLs were used for other jobs. The first commando raid was done by RAF HSL as they were the only boats with a shallow enough draught. During the Falklands 5 RAF Cox'ns and 5 Fitters were deployed to drive the landing craft

Ted Shute, who I replaced as secretary, was a cox'n during the siege of Malta. they discovered that on of the Seaplane tenders had it's exhaust pipes directly underneath the Hull, so it was silent. Ted then got the job of using the ternder to drop off agents throughout the Med!

Ted also took part in the only rescue of a downed pilot by a sail boat! They had coverted a 'liberated' Navy whaler with a main sail and marine branch people used to use for recreational purposes! one day Ted and some others, during a break from duty, decided to sail around the Island using the whaler. As they were sailing, someone spotted, something in the water and they sailed towards it. It was FAA pilot who had been shot down a couple of days before!

if amyone has watched the 'Malta story', the spy was not captured by the Royal navy but by RAF HSL!

in the 1950's, RAF boats were used in the search for the Israeli sub that when down in the Med.

As well as, ASR, boats provded the support for flying boats, again from Ted, refuelling a Sunderland from a boat could take up to 12 hours, as it was all in cans and they had to be winched up onto the wing!

In the latter days, the MK3 boats and Seal class, all had SAR as a secondary duty the main one being provding support for the SAR helos.

On the last detachment to Blyth but HMAFV Hurricane, we were requested by the Coastguard to help searc for a missing diver, who was the brother of the Landlord of the Ridley park hotel, were we used to stay on rates! the diver involved was Jackie Wilson, who had been a bomb and mine disposal diver in the navy. Sadly, Jackie had been killed. His body was found almost silted over.

the crew of Hurricane provided the pallbearers into the church for his body. As we had not expected to be in such a situation, all we had was work clothes. The RNLI provided the pallbearers out of the church!

As part of the farewell celebration, it had been decided that a Boulmar Seaking would drop off about six people and six from hurricane would go to Boulmar and parties would be held at both locations. Our skipper then decided that he wanted to get home to his wife and cancelled everthing!

as a result, the crew decided to take orders only from the master cox'n for the rest of the journey. When we arrived at Invergordon, my last duty in the RAF was to throw the line onto the jetty!

shettie
10-02-2012, 15:47
You've got me thinking now - I can remember seeing the ASR launch at Bridlington in what must have been '76/'77 - But the thing thats really got me scratching my head - at sometime in the early 1990s I had to go down to Ash in Kent on a job - and stayed in Ramsgate (what a feckin' dump!) anyway - I went down to the harbour where a mate of mine was working with Trinity House - tied up behind his tender was an RAF Launch... What was that then? I thought it was a target towing launch - but it was certainly flying the RAF ensign.

morse1001
10-02-2012, 18:20
You've got me thinking now - I can remember seeing the ASR launch at Bridlington in what must have been '76/'77 - But the thing thats really got me scratching my head - at sometime in the early 1990s I had to go down to Ash in Kent on a job - and stayed in Ramsgate (what a feckin' dump!) anyway - I went down to the harbour where a mate of mine was working with Trinity House - tied up behind his tender was an RAF Launch... What was that then? I thought it was a target towing launch - but it was certainly flying the RAF ensign.

Once the Marine Branch closed down, the boats were taken over by Civvies - recently discharged RAF personnel - on a GOCO (Government owned - Civilian operated) contract!

Bridlington was a former MCU base and then a detachment from Mount Batten!

shettie
10-02-2012, 20:22
Apparently this lot weren't thought very highly of as they'd rammed one of the local's fishing boats the week before :)

Kipper Fleet Bloke
10-02-2012, 23:02
Arrrrrr I seem to remember at some point in the 70's the Bridlington boat trying to do a bit of showboating close to the beach for the tourists and plowing into a sewer outlet pipe.
Hopefully there'll be a goater who was there..........?

Hughmac
01-04-2012, 13:46
I used to work the ship-to-shore comms with the HMRAFV's in the mid 70's from RAF Pitreavie Castle, doing phone patches and weather reports. I was great to work on your tod, instead of the crowded bunker comcen. Our call sign - I still remember it - was MKL (Mike Kilo Lima).

We used to share the shack with a civvie operator - **** hot on morse, whilst we could only manage 18 wpm at a stretch whilst most circuit speeds was 14 wpm, I seem to remember, even slower when working with pilots, specially on nav trainers, Dominie flights.

Good times

Cheers
Hughmac

BillyH
01-04-2012, 15:11
Spent a lot of sea time out of Falmouth, torpedo recovery on the ATDU/TTU range off Navis Point. Allso on Seal/Seagul in the deep water range well off Lands End. Seal and Seagull had a door in the transom this opened for weapon recovery.A stern wave would flood the flat, compressing stale air and paint fumes in ones lungs. "Oh look me dinner is floating around my knees". Boat crews all bloody good fun, afloat of ashore.

BillyH :PDT_Xtremez_39::PDT_Xtremez_39:

Soupdragon
19-11-2013, 11:16
Arrrrrr I seem to remember at some point in the 70's the Bridlington boat trying to do a bit of showboating close to the beach for the tourists and plowing into a sewer outlet pipe.
Hopefully there'll be a goater who was there..........?

Is this the one you mean?

Soupdragon
19-11-2013, 11:37
and this is what happens when the radar goes duff in fog

Soupdragon
19-11-2013, 12:19
a bad day for all concerned here, luckily no one seriously hurt.

Exploded while refuelling Blyth

morse1001
19-11-2013, 14:30

Is this the one you mean?

1390 was the boat based at Tenby when I was detached there, back in 1980's

Rothgar
20-11-2013, 10:41
I used to work the ship-to-shore comms with the HMRAFV's in the mid 70's from RAF Pitreavie Castle, doing phone patches and weather reports. I was great to work on your tod, instead of the crowded bunker comcen. Our call sign - I still remember it - was MKL (Mike Kilo Lima).

We used to share the shack with a civvie operator - **** hot on morse, whilst we could only manage 18 wpm at a stretch whilst most circuit speeds was 14 wpm, I seem to remember, even slower when working with pilots, specially on nav trainers, Dominie flights.

Good times

Cheers
Hughmac

I was at the other end of the country Hughmac at Plymouth, Mount Wise from 77 - 79. Pretty certain our callsign was MKD and Plymouth Rescue.

morse1001
20-11-2013, 11:03
I was at the other end of the country Hughmac at Plymouth, Mount Wise from 77 - 79. Pretty certain our callsign was MKD and Plymouth Rescue.

I worked Bldg118 at Pitreavie 1979-80 the Plymouth Rescue for a couple of months in 1981 before my Wops course at Mt Batten.