PDA

View Full Version : Cosford memories

Tin basher
18-01-2007, 15:01
Now the death knell for Cosford has been sounded and the place begins it's long protracted 4 year death throes what are your memories of the place good and bad. The bowl, kebeb van, the blocks, bop, etc. etc. Get them all posted now before it's moved to the camps closing forum.

Fellow goaters the floor is yours :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Scaley brat
18-01-2007, 15:10
Now the death knell for Cosford has been sounded and the place begins it's long protracted 4 year death throes what are your memories of the place good and bad. The bowl, kebeb van, the blocks, bop, etc. etc. Get them all posted now before it's moved to the camps closing forum.

Fellow goaters the floor is yours :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Does 1978 spacey camp count ? :PDT_Xtremez_31:

MattBombHead
18-01-2007, 16:07
Every week, the majority of livers-in on my AT course (ATW-6) would go up to the kebab van outside 'hacking and bashing'. A top feed, and much better than Props Mess...

Funniest time was when a rather 'rotund' AC turned up and gave his order. It went something like this...

Fatty AC - Alright Mr Kebab Selling Man, can i have a large mixed kebab, large chips, loads of garlic mayo and chilli sauce on the kebab, salt and vinigar on the chips.... oh yeah and 2 cans of diet coke

Aghast Members of ATW-6 - *thuds of our jaws hitting the ground* :PDT_Xtremez_03:

well, it was funny at the time anyway....

MrMasher
18-01-2007, 16:22
Petty jumped up discips whining at fitters to march properly

Having to walk up to the singlies block only to march down in a big snake cos its safer than walking around in dribs and drabs (like walking up to the singlies block in the first place!)

PT straight after dinner and then sat in a classroom in Fulton trying to stay awake!

Getting told off for running around the hangar and playing tig in AFTS whilst supposedly doing the consolodation on jags!

POB
18-01-2007, 16:30
Getting charged for carrying a civi' bag in uniform...

Mass exit from station at 1630 every Friday...

Walking down to the village pub 'cos I was too young to drink on camp...

Grey denims (coveralls), with blue tabs on...

Pay parades!

P

MrMasher
18-01-2007, 16:41

Pay parades!

P

Yikes POB, is your service number chiselled onto a slate id?
Pay parades!!!!!!

POB
18-01-2007, 16:59
I was there in 1982, I'm old, but not that old! There are plenty of others older than me on here.

P

sinnick
18-01-2007, 17:10

Pay parades!

P

Civvy bag in uniform.

You will be pleased to know that was still being enforced in 1998 when i was on my FT course. Walikng up the road in my blues carrying a briefcase minding my own business only to be accosted by a rockape corporal discip.

CPL: What the f**k are you carrying quin?

ME: A briefcase Corporal

CPL: And who said you could carry one of those?

ME: Station Standing Orders ....Corporal !!!!! (smug grin applied to face)

CPL: You are a trainee......they dont apply to you...........!!

propersplitbrainme
18-01-2007, 17:41
Ahhh Cosford :raf:

As a blue suit:

C/t PSBM, yesterdays visit by Gp Cpt Ponsonby Smythe HQ GMT Def logs Inst 1b went very well. Unfortunately the brooms and fine toothed combs used to prepare the hangar ofr his visit will not suffice for tomorrows visit by Air Cdre Fartworthy Browne GMT Def logs Inst 1a. Please issue the lads with the 100micron fine toothed combs and tweezers with which to remove the dust bunnies from said hangar.

As a civvy:

The day-before-yesterday: Mr PSBM you are an essential cog in this machine and defence training couldn't function without you. Well done.

Yesterday: Bye bye Mr PSBM, your job can now be done by a young welsh oik with a computer. Feck off.

Tashy_Man
18-01-2007, 17:44
1985 - 18 man rooms top of Fulton block.....i lost count the amount of times bedding/beds used to be chucked out ......then on our fitters course in 90/91 we were accused of bullying some DE or mech entry (memory is blurred).....we had a parade or 2...nothing ever stuck.

Also remember in 1985 when i think the whole lot of trainees were on parade as punishment for some sort of abuse that was given to some overseas students...

Ahhh...memories...still fooking hate the place !!!!

Crack on........:PDT_Xtremez_09:

MadMouse
18-01-2007, 17:49
1989/1990 - All trainees formed up on the JSOP car park for a bollocking after someone trashed the baby trees on the road from the rugby club to SHQ. Half a hour later, all trainees by their beds as discips/flt cmds searched lockers for cans of Carlsberg, since some (empty) cans were found next to an uprooted sapling.
I suppose I should say 'happy days' here.

needsabiggerfuse
18-01-2007, 18:03
Get some time in! Go to www.cosfordapp.net for some memories.
P.S. the bit on pay chits is worth a look for you lot who think you're hard up

Tashy_Man
18-01-2007, 18:13
Get some time in! Go to www.cosfordapp.net (http://www.cosfordapp.net) for some memories.

BUT they deserved it cause they are FREAKING APPO's !!!!!!

Crack on...........:PDT_Xtremez_09:

Hu Jardon
18-01-2007, 20:08
Ahhh Cosford :raf:

As a blue suit:

C/t PSBM, yesterdays visit by Gp Cpt Ponsonby Smythe HQ GMT Def logs Inst 1b went very well. Unfortunately the brooms and fine toothed combs used to prepare the hangar ofr his visit will not suffice for tomorrows visit by Air Cdre Fartworthy Browne GMT Def logs Inst 1a. Please issue the lads with the 100micron fine toothed combs and tweezers with which to remove the dust bunnies from said hangar.

I never said that to you - I said use the 50 micron fine toothed comb and double sided tape!!!!

As a civvy:

The day-before-yesterday: Mr PSBM you are an essential cog in this machine and defence training couldn't function without you. Well done.

I bet he had his fingers crossed

Yesterday: Bye bye Mr PSBM, your job can now be done by a young welsh oik with a computer. Feck off.

Should've gone to specsavers and bought a pair of those rose tinted ones - Stain Athan would look quite good then

PSBM You know I'd give you a job like a shot - but unfortunately we only employ servicemen at the token trade training area that is staying at Royal Air Force Cosford - now I'm going to uncross my fingers and make a wish

Hu

monobrow
18-01-2007, 20:36
After a spoof memo stating my whole course was on pool flight over christmas grant (our senior bod was a chimp at the time) and after it was revealed as a spoof we all go on christmas grant......

First parade back, and with a new rock ape Cpl all of a sudden.......

"AC MONOBROW. REPORT TO ME NOW, FRONT AND CENTER"

I $hit myself thinking I've been rumbled for my spoof memo.....

Marches smartly to the front.

"TURN AROUND AC MONOBROW"

Does as told, now infront of feck knows how many Fairy and Leckies about to embark on another day of schooling in Fulton Block.

"TODAY IS AC MONOBROWS BIRTHDAY"

(ohhhhhhhhhh feck)

"EVERYBODY ON PARADE IS TO SING AC MONOBROW HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

I think my face was a bit less crimson later that night!:raf:

Vim_Fuego
18-01-2007, 20:38
Was anyone on here on ETP14? They were just ahead of my course and almost permanently in the sh*t...They had P & SS all over them for months for various thefts and scams...all never proved of course...It was great because the rest of us got left well alone whilst the disip's fed on them...bless em...

propersplitbrainme
18-01-2007, 20:55
PSBM You know I'd give you a job like a shot - but unfortunately we only employ servicemen at the token trade training area that is staying at Royal Air Force Cosford - now I'm going to uncross my fingers and make a wish

Hu

Ahhh, Hu, Hu. Appreciate the thought but it is indeed fortunate that Total Muppet Training ONLY employs blue-suits.

I mean, c'mon, working there again and for you again...how many poisened chalices can a man take in one go? Don't mock the afflicted, it aint fair :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Hu Jardon
18-01-2007, 21:03
Ahhh, Hu, Hu. Appreciate the thought but it is indeed fortunate that Total Muppet Training ONLY employs blue-suits.

I mean, c'mon, working there again and for you again...how many poisened chalices can a man take in one go? Don't mock the afflicted, it aint fair :PDT_Xtremez_28:
Well

Fair Play but if you ever re-enlist the offer stands

Hu

:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Tin basher
18-01-2007, 21:30
One sooties fitters course (I stand to be corrected) planted their course number in crocus bulbs on the grass bank near the NAAFI. Still comes up every year. Nice touch guys. Subtle but effective.

Stands back to allow lots of different people to say "we did it"

mandingo860
21-01-2007, 13:45
I can remember a certain SWO who would ride his bike around the camp, with his swagger stick perched across his handle bars! On one occasion as we left the gym after a session of enforced physical jerks, my course witnessed the afore mentioned SWO, having just encountered a trainee in the front of a marching column, proceeded to extend his stick and prod the miscrient in the front row. However due to the fact his was still on his bike and cycling towards the course....the result was like a scene from an olde worlde jousting contest, as the trainee folded over as his internal organs were prodded by the sharper end of the SWO's stick and the SWO pitched headlong from his mount! Realising that he might have overstepped the boundaries, the SWO then proceeded to scream at everyone until red in the face and then threatened to charge the writhing A/C on the floor with knocking him off his bike:PDT_Xtremez_30:

mandingo860
21-01-2007, 13:56
We had a Sgt disip who was a real pain, he had about four jokes and on a thursday morning parade would go through about twenty cycles of these jokes. His pride and joy however was his bike, which although was nothing speacial was loved like a child. One fateful morning however he discovered that his beloved machine had been stolen! Having a sneaking suspision that it was one of he trainees (back when Cosford still had some) he began a period of merciless interogation during the morning parades. When this failed to expose the thief he was forced to buy a new bike and he became more and more bitter and twisted . This was only exasperated when a few weeks later he awoke to find his wayward bike on his front lawn, having been striped down to its componant parts( even the bearings had been removed from the races) and laid out meticulously on the grass! Any gasket he had left prior to this was well and truely blown and he was posted out shortly after, with both his bike too!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Captain Slog
29-01-2007, 22:53
I was there in 1982, I'm old, but not that old! There are plenty of others older than me on here. P

Spot on POB and unfortunately I'm one of them as I can remember Pay Parades on my Mechs Course at St Athan in '69 (that's 1969 Tin basher not 1869 before you leap in with a cutting remark).

The think that has struck me most about Cosford is that there are now Cpl Instructors here in the Riggery that I taught on their Mechs and Fitters course and I have only been here 10 years. They are quite good too - well they must be as I taught them!

I'll stand back now and wait for the onslaught of abuse.

mightyhunter
29-01-2007, 23:10
Mech's Course - PM19
Fitter's Course - ETP37

It's still a sh!t-hole!! But think it was the wrong decision to move 1 SoTT to St A's.
And sod this DCAE pish. It's still RAF!!
Defence
College of
Arab
Enigineers

NFTR
30-01-2007, 00:55
1989/1990 - All trainees formed up on the JSOP car park for a bollocking....................

That car park (I think) was the parade square. When I went through trade training it was hallowed tarmac and not a car in sight. Only thing on it (apart from drilling students) was a dias and ensign. A weeks jankers was the usual price for a short-cut.
:PDT_Xtremez_09:

FairyNuff
02-02-2007, 16:50
1989/1990 - All trainees formed up on the JSOP car park for a bollocking after someone trashed the baby trees on the road from the rugby club to SHQ. Half a hour later, all trainees by their beds as discips/flt cmds searched lockers for cans of Carlsberg, since some (empty) cans were found next to an uprooted sapling.
I suppose I should say 'happy days' here.

Ah happy days.......... It was a friday evening if I remember rightly........ nobody admitted anything and the parade was dismissed to reform on saturday morning... where I believe a slighty battered PHOTOG was ejected from the masses in front of the SWO.

Those were the days!!!

Fairynuff31
25-06-2007, 21:43
I was on a DE Radar course in '83 and remember several bits and bobs, that up until now I thought I'd forgotten.....

We went into Albrighton for a beer in the British Legion club (the Tin Leg) and after consuming loads, left in my mates car - he had only passed his test the day or so before so hadn't had drop. as we left the car park, he misjudged the turn into the narrow road (loads of cars parked around) and ended up smacking into the car parked on the left hand side of the road.

A shout went up from the area immediately outside the Legion 'Oi thats my car you just hit!'
Out gets our driver, who goes over to the less than impressed owner of a well dented car......

Our driver immediately returns to his car to fetch the appropriate docs and as he leans in says....... 'Its only the fecking SWO!'

Clever tw@t!

Mind you the SWO was alright about it when he realised that our guy was sober. But he still had to sit up all night polishing kit for his early morning meeting with said disciplinarian down in the Guard Room to exhance paperwork....

I also remember the Nigerian guys, who would load up their plates in the Fulton mess and then chuck it all into the bin, saying 'I do this for my country', cos they had found out how much they were beeing billed for the Cosford experience. Mind you, bit strange after a Xmas leave, when half of them didn't return - there had been a coup or similar and several had been slotted...

Tigger
25-06-2007, 21:59
Getting bollocked by Flt Sgt Police for walking without our hats on the 50 yards to our block. having him tell us we were all getting reported to our flt commander. The finding out he dropped dead from a heart attack before he could do it. Fitter 60 got away with that one.

Wonky Tonka
25-06-2007, 23:05
'99: AVM 113
'02-'03: ETAV 88

Summer '99:

The entire station being banned from Albrighton

The local vicar complained to the CO about the conduct of individuals on their way home from the Shrew (seems that someone was having a **** in the hedges just as OC Police was doing a drive-by)

The subsequent recession that hit Albrighton after the CO decided to teach the locals to wind their necks in was priceless!

2002: Fireman Strike

Fire alarm went off and the blocks were evacuated.

Cue the standing around for 30-odd minutes waiting for the local firemen (who weren't on strike) to turn up.

One bright spark from the crowd pipes up, "F**k sake lads.....we could have got here quicker in a Green Goddess!"

Said individual had a bit of explaining to do to Harry in the morning.

Dave-exfairy
25-06-2007, 23:13
'99: AVM 113

Now that does make me feel old, was on AVM 29, 91-92:PDT_Xtremez_34:

Seeing the Hunter outside SHQ all wrapped up in brown paper after an Appo course graduated, same Appo course suspending said brown paper from the roof of Fulton Block, age and the passage of time has prevented me from remembering what was written.

rest have risen above me
25-06-2007, 23:24
I remember being chased by the feds after trying to rob the engine from an old Rover SD1 that had been abandoned behind the Cav Club. Had to hide in an 18 man room on the ground floor of Fulton Block. Jut got into a spare bed pretended to sleep. Slept got up in the morn and calmly walked back to my room in Fulton. Not one of the smallies from 144 said a word. Lol

The other lasting memory was Saus Tom butties at the Cosford Cafe before going to the Roller Rink. Looking back the place was better equipped than any of the Butlins camps.

MadMouse
26-06-2007, 10:45
Now that does make me feel old, was on AVM 29, 91-92:PDT_Xtremez_34:

Seeing the Hunter outside SHQ all wrapped up in brown paper after an Appo course graduated, same Appo course suspending said brown paper from the roof of Fulton Block, age and the passage of time has prevented me from remembering what was written.

It was 'Adios Amigos' written on spare bed sheets, by 152 entry, ermm... or so I was told!

Nige
29-03-2008, 21:58
Cosford 1970 - 72

Still remember a piano being put on roof by one of the entries prior to their Pass Out parade and how they managed to get it off - gravity does work !! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Harry B'Stard
29-03-2008, 22:36
There were a few quality moments I remember from my times at Cosford.

A certain discip, who hated painted shoes, gave us our last inspection with one shoe painted pink, the other yellow!

A fitters course that left whilst I was a mech (if I remember correctly) tied a blow up sex doll to the ladder running up the outside of AFTS!

Also on my mech's course, the telephone wire outside our block suddenly sprouted several pairs of white daps!

I've still got a pair... so it wasn't me!:PDT_Xtremez_15:

Captain Slog.... some of your students may have come back as instructors and they may very well be 'quite good'.

But I'm back here and you didn't teach me.... nuff said!:PDT_Xtremez_28:

HTB

Sospan
29-03-2008, 22:41
Cosford was a vivid blur of beer and kebabs. Specif memories were; hung over mornings trying to stay awake in Tin Bashers lessons !::P:

Sorry Sarge ! I mean Civvy.....

Shugster
29-03-2008, 22:52
I really enjoyed Cosford.

I wasn't looking forward to PT, but after the steep learning curve in maths I was glad to get a beasting to give the old grey matter time to come to terms with exponential functions.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

And the local town was quite nice too.

Is Rachels cafe still open?

I used to go to the laundry on Saturday morning, put a load on then head to the cafe for a Bacon, "Torpedo", and a mug of tea.

Strange that you like training camps, albeit for different reasons.

Teh Wal
29-03-2008, 23:22
I actually got banned from Tossford in 1986 when I was there as a Cpl whilst on a 4 week PET course, was told that I should never darken its doorstep again (2 fizzes, one of which was 'Intimidation of a junior rank' cos they couldn't pin 'assault' on me :rolleyes: ). Been back twice since then for TMT (2 weeks in '95) and Multi-skilling (7 weeks, last year). The place is a boil on the arse of humanity IMO, tho the accomodation is better nowadays, was in a wooden shack for the first week of the '86 course!

Albert Park
29-03-2008, 23:41
A Poor-Man's Halton.

Shugster
29-03-2008, 23:43
A Poor-Man's Halton.

Well I went to both. And enjoyed both equally.

(Although there was no nursing training at Cosford)::P:

Ex-Bay
30-03-2008, 00:10
Get some time in! Go to www.cosfordapp.net (http://www.cosfordapp.net) for some memories.

I suspect that a couple of the photos taken there, particularly of Fulton bock are my doing for the 40th Entry (Boy Entrants).

(Although there was no nursing training at Cosford)::P:

Oh yes there was. We had Nursing Attendants in 190-61 (along with Telegs, Air Radar, & Air Wireless).

The long walk up to Fulton Block after Jankers at the old main guardroom (on the main road), The Post Office opposite said guardroom.
ITS @ K19: Watching the newly cleaned floor being walked on by the Sgt in charge of J-lines and complaining to our Sgt. (It worked).

And then back in '65 for a PG course in transistors (Fitters at Yatesbury 63-64) in L-lines.

Group Captain Caswell, our CO for much of our tour, came back and we did our final parade for him.

Pay Parade in the Gym; I was glad my name did not start with a Z. Oh, yes, Pay was dependent upon age. If over 17 you got lots. We got 10s per week and the rest when we went on leave.

Watching Dave Lee get marched down from the 'prison' (now a laudry) to his meals at double time before getting chucked out (rumour had it that he'd taken liberties with a guys wallet in the Swimming Baths' changing rooms).

Learning the art of soldering from a WO we called "Tinnit" because that was his personal Mantra word.

Discovering from a Flt Sgt in Station Workshops that it IS possible to open a combination lock by ear.

Marching from the back of Fulton Block to classes, accompanied by pipes & drums, watching the Cadet Sgt chuck his baton right over the phone lines on the many telegraph poles (he missed only once).

Leaving the station with the number 40 painted in all manner of strange places, including the water tower, Workshops, several hangars and the roof of Fulton Block.

Skidding down our immaculately buffed floor in our parade boots and watching spomeone blow a 25v, 25uF cap accross the mains to leave a nasty mark plumb in the middle.

Flying in a Chipmunk.

Note. The change when I went back as a civvy in 1997 was truly remakable, and not at all nice.

:PDT_Xtremez_34:

shoutingwind
30-03-2008, 17:27

Pay parades!

P

Have i missed something POB- thought you were a ops type person?!?

Off Topic Where in the world are you and when you coming on the lash here?

Captain Slog
30-03-2008, 19:09
Captain Slog.... some of your students may have come back as instructors and they may very well be 'quite good'.
But I'm back here and you didn't teach me.... nuff said!:HTB

Are you trying to make me feel old Harry? I do that enough myself.

Anyway, your the unfortunate one not haven been able to sit through one of my 5 day Documentation Lessons - such good fun!!!!!!

Tin basher
30-03-2008, 20:58
Cosford was a vivid blur of beer and kebabs. Specif memories were; hung over mornings trying to stay awake in Tin Bashers lessons !::P: Sorry Sarge ! I mean Civvy.....

Well at least you tried not all can be bothered to try!!!!!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_32:

Sospan
30-03-2008, 21:08
Well at least you tried not all can be bothered to try!!!!!!!!:PDT_Xtremez_32:

Thats understandable !:PDT_Xtremez_14:

I think you were teaching Basic Airframes when I went through.

Inevertouchedit
30-03-2008, 22:41
1989/1990 - All trainees formed up on the JSOP car park for a bollocking after someone trashed the baby trees on the road from the rugby club to SHQ.

I was there (but it wasn't me !). All the Scaleys on my Fitters course turned up with their kids in tow , "Sorry Sarge, wife's in work" LOL

Inevertouchedit
30-03-2008, 22:43
I can remember a certain SWO who would ride his bike around the camp, with his swagger stick perched across his handle bars! On one occasion as we left the gym after a session of enforced physical jerks, my course witnessed the afore mentioned SWO, having just encountered a trainee in the front of a marching column, proceeded to extend his stick and prod the miscrient in the front row. However due to the fact his was still on his bike and cycling towards the course....the result was like a scene from an olde worlde jousting contest, as the trainee folded over as his internal organs were prodded by the sharper end of the SWO's stick and the SWO pitched headlong from his mount! Realising that he might have overstepped the boundaries, the SWO then proceeded to scream at everyone until red in the face and then threatened to charge the writhing A/C on the floor with knocking him off his bike:PDT_Xtremez_30:

WO Rayment ??

Anyway.....1st stint in 82-83, FT course in 89-90 THE last single trade Air Radar course, L Tech AV poofs after us !!

14 in a room in Fulton block
TV rooms !!
Cook your own eggs in a griddle in the mess
Fresh sheets on a tueday
Cav club.....
Wed' night Bop in the other one - Oak leaf club??
Sadistic PTIs
Loads of rugby against the Appos
Church parade - i changed to Catholicism halfway thru' as my Irish mate said they had better biscuits down there.
Telecomms birds - thousands of 'em
DE Armourers thinking they were dead hard cos they were going to work with bombs when they left Cosford - Tw*ts
Nigerians who could drink 20 pints of Guinness every night & fill there block with about 20 prozzies every weekend.
Ex-RAFG FTs with decent cars - everyone else with heaps
BS final after 20 wks of Basics - ((((((shudder))))))
The White Hart in Shifnal, 10 real ales on all the time. The Nell Gwyn (the smelly quim) then changed to some poncey wine bar on my FT course (Tipsy Cats ??)
Eves nightclub in Wolves
Spider Webb's cafe
Roller skating in the hanger next to the running track.

More when I can think of it..........................

dkh51250
31-03-2008, 10:15
Memories of prepping for the Royal Observer Corps summer camp in the old hospital.1978 I think. Recently vacated hospital, SWOs bicycles, and miles of empty corridoors.

Breakfast at the Spiders Web, offloading tons of furniture from fourty footers,and mega hour days to complete the job.

Bonuses, Monday mornings and Friday afternoons off to compensate for the long hours during the week. Everybody on the task travelled.

Further bonus, loadsa ROC females!!!!

docbombhead
31-03-2008, 11:42
Being given jankers for being 10 seconds late back from T-break cos fitters course was hogging the vending machines, then thanking the wakner Cpl who charged me on the monday for the jankers because I won 80 quid on the bandit in the mess while I should have been scrubbing ovens !

The happy moment when being told your postings in the final few weeks only to be told I would be back a week after leaving to do me SAM course GUTTED !!

Fairynuff31
31-03-2008, 20:15
[QUOTE=Inevertouchedit;232876]WO Rayment ??

Mr Rayment was the Flight Systems WO and used to hang around the Cav club trying to catch airmen not marching with their classes - what a tw*t!

I remember WO Chef/Cook in charge of Fulton Mess around 83/84, who hated FT's cos someone got caught sha*gging his daughter in his married quarter one night. Fair Play -0 but she was only 14 at the time!!!!

There was an lad on a DE Radar course in my block, who had a Page 3 lovely as a cousin. The whole block got dragged down to the Marching Around Square by JSOP at half past early one morning and beasted by the SWO - he 'invented' some jumped up excuse to get us there - Me SWO, You Pondlife, Now Moooove!

After a while of marching up and down, we were brought to a halt and about turned, to find the Page 3 lovely stood, in the flesh (but clothed) on the dais!
We were then ordered to sing happy brithday to the lad, he never lived it down.
Happy days.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Dave-exfairy
31-03-2008, 21:02
Anyone remember a moustached JSOP Discip, would be around 91/92. He was a right tw@t, always finding some excuse to bollock some unsuspecting course, leaping out from around a corner of JSOP.
We were doing the workshop phase across on the airfield (AVM 29), yours truly was handed a piece of paper with the words "THERE IS A FIRE IN THIS BUILDING" on it, I took one look, put the paper down, took another look and took the appropriate action. After 20 mins of being outside I was being asked if I had phoned for the water fairies, I said I had, a phone call was made and it was subsequently found that the rear axle had broken on the fire truck as they had attempted to pull away.
Always remember the Saudi lads being on the lash in Cascades in Telford and abusing the local women.
Getting a fake bollocking after the final exam in the hangar phase while the rest of the course looked on open mouthed through the glass door.
Going home for the weekend and passing the U/T PTI's who were wearing greens, grey jumpers, boots and carrying logettes on the airfield side, then when going out the main gate to the train station, seeing them come in looking all dirty, horrible and smelly.

Inevertouchedit
01-04-2008, 20:20
There was an lad on a DE Radar course in my block, who had a Page 3 lovely as a cousin. The whole block got dragged down to the Marching Around Square by JSOP at half past early one morning and beasted by the SWO - he 'invented' some jumped up excuse to get us there - Me SWO, You Pondlife, Now Moooove!

After a while of marching up and down, we were brought to a halt and about turned, to find the Page 3 lovely stood, in the flesh (but clothed) on the dais!
We were then ordered to sing happy brithday to the lad, he never lived it down.
Happy days.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

Remember it well, he was an Irish lad. Can't recall her name though.

Fairynuff31
03-04-2008, 21:25
Remember it well, he was an Irish lad. Can't recall her name though.

So what course where you on then ?

planesailing
08-04-2008, 19:25
Back in the dark ages.............

Circa 1963 I was a humble Boy Entrant, we all (1000 plus) formed up on the main Parade square to take part in the ritual of Saturday morning Parade, a full review including march past line abreast.

At this time new barrack blocks were being build adjacent to the square and building was taking place on this Saturday morning.

The parade reached the point of advance in review order when the Station Commander should take the salute.

At this point a builders dumper truck entered the parade square from the left, it passed slowly in front of the assembled masses with a driver, and three navvies standing to attention in the dumper bucket facing and saluting the now hysterically laughing troops, I don`t think the SWO was the same man ever again, his language was priceless.

enjoy!

__________________________________________________ ____

Aviate Navigate Procreate

Inevertouchedit
08-04-2008, 21:02
So what course where you on then ?

I was on a Flt Systems course, not a Radar thingy.

Searchwatergeek
08-04-2008, 21:25
Mech's course in 1997, one of the lads got arrested after only four hours on camp, some fitter tw@t told him he was gonna deck him, however he could take the first punch, said fitter went down like a ton of bricks :) feds tried to do ikkle mech for being drunk, pity he had only drank 2 pints (you know who you are) :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Fitters course 1999ish, nearly setting fire to trees behind salmon block while having BBQ, and at end of course setting fire to BBQ and nearly burning down Salmon block, hehe sorted l was in the other one, forgot what one, opposite the bowl :)

The rest is just a blur :PDT_Xtremez_32:

Rambling Sid
20-01-2009, 23:40
Ah B.E. training at Cosford..... the place where I though they changed my name to "you there - that boy"........ Left there in '65 and never went back, even though for a while I lived just up the road in Telford.

Ex-Bay
20-01-2009, 23:48
WO Rayment ??

Anyway.....1st stint in 82-83, FT course in 89-90 THE last single trade Air Radar course, L Tech AV poofs after us !!

14 in a room in Fulton block
TV rooms !!
Cook your own eggs in a griddle in the mess
Fresh sheets on a tueday
Cav club.....
Wed' night Bop in the other one - Oak leaf club??
Sadistic PTIs
Church parade - i changed to Catholicism halfway thru' as my Irish mate said they had better biscuits down there.
Ex-RAFG FTs with decent cars - everyone else with heaps
BS final after 20 wks of Basics - ((((((shudder))))))
The White Hart in Shifnal, 10 real ales on all the time. The Nell Gwyn (the smelly quim) then changed to some poncey wine bar on my FT course (Tipsy Cats ??)
Eves nightclub in Wolves
Spider Webb's cafe
Roller skating in the hanger next to the running track.

More when I can think of it..........................

Yes, it was the Oak Leaf.
I've taken a couple of thing out that we didn't enjoy.
You forgot Uncle Tom's Cabin (by the station).

:PDT_Xtremez_14:

Deputy_Dawg
21-01-2009, 10:03
"Baby patrol" of Fulton block, when on nights on station guard.

Sunday morning fry ups at the Spiders Web.

Parading on the square (not parking cars).

Setting up the indoor arena for international athletic meets.

Missing the last train from Shifnal and walking back to camp along the railway line.

there's loads more but my addled brain is getting too old to remember.