PDA

View Full Version : Military Hospitals

Chaka
17-09-2006, 19:34
Those of us who can remember the days of RAF Hospitals Ely, Wroughton,Wegberg and Halton please read this from the Daily 'Support the Forces' Torygraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/17/ntroops17.xml

I think if you are willing to sacrifice everything for Queen and Country you should get the best. Civilian wards are not the answer.

Comments?

gemarriott
17-09-2006, 19:46
Those of us who can remember the days of RAF Hospitals Ely, Wroughton,Wegberg and Halton please read this from the Daily 'Support the Forces' Torygraph.

I think if you are willing to sacrifice everything for Queen and Country you should get the best. Civilian wards are not the answer.

Comments?

Chaka, the closure of "our" hospitals is nothing less than tragic.

both my kids were born in wegburg so I visited that wonderful establishment more than once. One of the things it is impossible to provide in an NHS hospital is the camaradery that exists in a military hospital not only among patients but with staff as well. Little things like knowing the guy in the next bed understands your sense of humour are vital to recovery. Imagine half a dozen mates arriving with a selection of top shelf mags, an illicit bottle of scotch and pizza and in the next bed is a 75 year old methodist or the local mullahs son having his ingrown toenails trimmed.

dantura
17-09-2006, 19:52

both my kids were born in wegburg so I visited that wonderful establishment more than once. One of the things it is impossible to provide in an NHS hospital is the camaradery that exists in a military hospital not only among patients but with staff as well. Little things like knowing the guy in the next bed understands your sense of humour are vital to recovery. Imagine half a dozen mates arriving with a selection of top shelf mags, an illicit bottle of scotch and pizza and in the next bed is a 75 year old methodist or the local mullahs son having his ingrown toenails trimmed.

Totally agree with you there Gem, but more importantly (especially for PM), this has also resulted in the demise of the Hospital 'Bop'.

I, and many colleagues had many an 'interesting' night at Ely bop, and now our younger generation of chaps are being denied this enlightening experience.

Phwaaar, especially when they wore their nurses uniform.:PDT_Xtremez_35:

D

AndyZ
17-09-2006, 19:58

Comments?
Read this article and I can say I am now spitting venom, I spent time in Wroughton in the 80s in the "big" wards and the crack that was had with fellow patients and staff was fantastic. All of us recovering boosted each other and so enhanced recovery. Having recently spent a lot of time in NHS mixed wards and with extemely low morale of the staff, I could not wait to get out and quite honestly left hospital on one occassion far too early....this would not have happened in a military hospital. This is just another kick in the bollox to our troops by an uncaring government...

kit
17-09-2006, 20:11
Bring back military hospitals!

Major Geek
17-09-2006, 20:16
So what would happen if the operations we are involved in escalate and we sustain major casualties? Where would they all go? We should still have military hospitals or at least wings of civvie hospitals that are kept "under care & maintenance" until required. Looks like that is already the case.

propersplitbrainme
17-09-2006, 20:18
I spent a week in Ely in the early 80s following a bike crash. Was just a young jelly tot at the time and the chief in the bed next to me was a real wise cracking git :PDT_Xtremez_30: Remorselessly took the **** out of the grunt in the bed on the other side of him who had an ingrowing hair in his arse :PDT_Xtremez_35:
There was an elderly civvy too I recall, a Mr Carter. One day at lunch the chief tried to strike up a conversation with the chap who was a little out of his depth amongst us servicemen.

Chief: Do you live locally Mr Carter?
Mr C: Yes
Chief: Where?
Mr C: Swaaaafham
Chief: Do you have any children?
Mr C: Yes
Chief (patiently): How many?
Mr C: 2
Chief (patronisingly): What are their names?
Mr C: Carter...
Me: <Guffaww, choke> OW - Chiefy had kicked me under the table :PDT_Xtremez_06:

kit
17-09-2006, 20:18
Most of the old hospital are only moth balled, eg Halton, just open them back up, there still cleaned and stuff.

Chaka
18-09-2006, 09:01

Agreed. Having spent a number of weeks in RAF Hospitals and the new MDHU (NHS hospitals in disguise)in my time I can honestly say that the closure of Ely, Wroughton and Halton hospitals was a mistake.

These hospitals set the standard as they were clean and efficiently run and a credit to the RAF. Guess this can still be found at TPMH Akrotiri?

Also, if you were almost fit, the Matron made you make the morning tea for the all the bed ridden sods. The sight of a Sqn Ldr in his pj's making tea for a young SAC used to make me laugh. The banter in the wards was cruel too which helped the healing process and something you would never get on an all male civvie ward today.

Bring 'em back I say.

Kiwistacker
18-09-2006, 09:28
I had an op at Haslar a few years back, most of the ward was civvies but there was an Army bloke in the next bed, we spent the time hooting and roaring and taking the p$ss out of each other. Others on the ward (civvies) attempted to join in but didn't quite get it. We had a great time, me pushing the Army bloke around, chasing nurses and getting illicit hooch. Camaraderie definately aids recovery.

Chaka
18-09-2006, 20:12
I had an op at Haslar a few years back, most of the ward was civvies but there was an Army bloke in the next bed, we spent the time hooting and roaring and taking the p$ss out of each other. Others on the ward (civvies) attempted to join in but didn't quite get it. We had a great time, me pushing the Army bloke around, chasing nurses and getting illicit hooch. Camaraderie definately aids recovery.

You sound like Sid James or Bernard Breslow in the old Carry on Doctor movies! Hatty Jaques would have made a good Waafie as she is the right shape and weight!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Talk Wrench
18-09-2006, 20:26
I was born at wroughton hospital, had my wisdom (?) teeth taken out there and saw an injured mate recover there.

I saw TPMH at Akrotiri ramp up for the expected casualties from Op Telic only to see the manpower being drawn down there because at first, not many people were coming through the system.

The governments lack of understanding of the military is disgraceful when it comes to medical matters.

But then, it must be cheaper to burden the already max'd out NHS with broken servicemen and women, mustn't it?

Our services deserve at least one dedicated hospital in the UK but i think it will never happen.

A sad indicator of how the politicians and bean counters view HM's finest.

TW

firestorm
18-09-2006, 21:07
I went to Halton in the early 90's for a collar bone problem. The Doc and the Sister put my X-ray up and didn't know what bone it was!
Quality!.... (with a K)